Powered by Team Mondor
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Driveline Vibration

Grumpy Old Man

Exclamation Driveline Vibration

Car harsh on acceleration or deceleration?

Most people point to the Centre Bearing as the culprit but even a badly worn/floppy one is seldom the cause.

Check that the Rear Bonded tube in a tube hasn't slipped out of phase, just sight along the Uni joints they should all be perfectly in line.
    (common failure with these cars)

A good "fix" for this issue is to take the shaft to a DS shop and have them replace the bonded rear section with a tube making the DS a true 2 piece.

(thanks to Gaboon for the pic)

Supramania Regular

Default Re: Driveline Vibration

Both ujoints should be centered in the "GREEN" line....the redline is showing how far out of phase the rear bonded tube slipped!

This caused my car to shake really bad at 40+mph....not only that but it wiped out the transmission tail housing bearing "bearing that the outside of the driveshaft yoke slips into behind the oil seal"....this also destroyed my centre support bearing!

This was in an 87 na...but also goes for gte cars as they use the same rear halves...

interesting! ill have to check mine, whats a common cause for clunking in the driveline? (i've fitted a new centre bearing as it was worn)

Grumpy Old Man

Backlash in the Diff will cause a clunk.

Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    Backlash in the Diff will cause a clunk.
    yeah that's what i thought my car was a single pegger then had a lsd fitted so i'm betting they skipped checking the lash and just reused the shims. uni joins wouldn't cause a clunk would they?

Supramania Regular

They can but if they are clunking you'd sure as shit know it! They make all sorts of noise when they fail!

Quote Originally Posted by gaboonviper85 View Post
    They can but if they are clunking you'd sure as shit know it! They make all sorts of noise when they fail!
    i doubt its the uni's then, its more of a clunk when for example your in second decelerating (engine is putting resistance on the drive-line) then you apply throttle and begin to accelerate and then resistance shifts and the drive-line puts resistance on the motor. (if that makes sense)

Grumpy Old Man

Check the lash on the Diff input.

SM Expert on White trash

Ok. So today I finally had the chance to get up under my car. The first pic is looking straight up at the u-joint just behind the center bearing. Sorry, but it's a cellphone pic with me under the car and very little clearance. I did have the car in neutral and rotated the shaft so that that knuckle in the pic would be straight up and down.

Here is a pic looking down at the last u-joint. Notice how it's offset some. Does this mean my shaft is out of phase? If so could this have caused my first center bearing to fail? After replacing it, the center bearing, last week I noticed the vibration was worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Supracentral View Post
    The MKIII Supra was never intended to be a pure sports car, nor was it intended to have slam you in the seat performance. Please remember that this was Toyota's top of the line showcase for high tech luxury performance. This car was built as a personal luxury car with a performance trend. It's a GT car, not a detuned version of a WRC rally car.
    My 1991 Jay Blue Supra

What in the hell have I gotten myself into?

Cool Ford Pinto

Grumpy Old Man

If it's out of phase Yes and Yes, it will be more noticable either on power ore backoff, most times it's harsh on overrun when you lift off the throttle and let it engine brake.