Powered by Team Mondor
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Removing multiplex from 7MGTE for less than $200

Grease Monkey

Default Re: Removing multiplex from 7MGTE for less than $200

The wizard settings give you a dwell of about 2.0 to 2.3ms - worked fine for me up over 450 WHP but I have a HKS TwinPower box so that probably helps. I found that the 2JZ-GE waste fire style coils are fine with a charge time up to about 3.1 to 3.2ms (see here http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...Ignition-Coils )

I ended up setting max teeth to 3.5 and dwell factor at 16, this gave me a dwell time right around 3.1ms - seemed to run the same as before, but should give a stronger spark.

All this being said, I am not certain that the 3 channel igniter DH61 acts in this manner (dumb igniter that uses the ECU to set the dwell) - it might automatically charge the coils (ignoring the rising side of the ignition signal) and just use the falling side of the ignition signals to trigger the coil.

Like I said, it was running fine beforehand.
    Torrid red '84 P-type, Black and Grey leather, Fully Restored

Built 7MGTE, AEM V1 EMS, R154, BOSS 60mm GT turbo, 2 1/2" IC and 3" exhaust, the works

ROH wheels, Coilovers, BBK, Konis, Addco bars etc. etc.

450 RWHP at 12psi, on 650CC injectors.

Grease Monkey

Default Re: Removing multiplex from 7MGTE for less than $200

Quick update:

My HKS DLI died a smelly, smoky death and they are now discontinued. I twiddled with the dwell settings, based on this thread:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ll-and-results

It looks like the max dwell you want is 3.6ms, which works out to a dwell factor of 18. For max teeth, the igniter will only charge the coils one at a time, so with 3 coils firing on 12 ignition teeth (waste fire mode, the total number of trigger teeth is 24 but each coil fires twice) the max you could set 'max teeth' to is 4.0 meaning that after 5,556 RPM the dwell will start to drop (max dwell = 1/RPM multiplied by 60,000, then divide by 3 since it has 3 coils to charge each engine rotation). I set it to 3.6 (dwell drops after 5,000 RPM - 1/(3.6 / (3.6/12) / 60,000) ) and left the minimum at 0.5, the whole system seems to be handling the boost and power no problem without the DLI. Ideal solution may be some kind of CDI box, or an ecu with built in igniters that can charge the coils better. I logged the dwell vs rpm with a couple road pulls and it holds the 3.6 ms up to 5,000 RPM, dropping to 2.6 by 7,000. This is fine as the highest possibility of spark blowout is at the torque peak, not peak RPM.

If you had a better ECM that could drive the coils directly - 3.6ms would still be the ideal charge time, but this would be fine up to 16,667 RPM if you can charge the coils at the same time, each coil only needs to fire once per engine rotation. 1/(3.6 / 60,000).
    Last edited by Funkycheeze; July 17th, 2017 at 06:05 PM.
    Torrid red '84 P-type, Black and Grey leather, Fully Restored

Built 7MGTE, AEM V1 EMS, R154, BOSS 60mm GT turbo, 2 1/2" IC and 3" exhaust, the works

ROH wheels, Coilovers, BBK, Konis, Addco bars etc. etc.

450 RWHP at 12psi, on 650CC injectors.