+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Gasket thickness selection

Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: Head Gasket thickness selection

Option 1:

Supramania Regular

Ok im alittle confused the first time around i resurfaced the head but not the block used a 1.2mm MHG and it blew. Now i have it apart again and the block and head seems to be good, unwarped, and uncracked. Would it be necessary to have it resurfaced again?

I have sanded and cleaned the head and block really good, I used a metal ruler to see if its straight and it appears to be. is their another/better way to go about making sure its unwarped myself?

Supramania Regular

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazemkiii View Post
    Ok im alittle confused the first time around i resurfaced the head but not the block used a 1.2mm MHG and it blew. Now i have it apart again and the block and head seems to be good, unwarped, and uncracked. Would it be necessary to have it resurfaced again?

I have sanded and cleaned the head and block really good, I used a metal ruler to see if its straight and it appears to be. is their another/better way to go about making sure its unwarped myself?
    You're kidding, right? You need a quality straight edge, long enough to extend beyond the ends of the block, or head, a set of feeler gauges, and then follow the procedure in the TSRM. Just cleaning the surface is not enough!
    Showing the world, even poor people can own a Supra!

Gotta Pay To Play
    Indiana - Florida, Depends on the time of the year.

Is the HKS HG reusable ?

Supramania Regular

Quote Originally Posted by slow_yota View Post
    Is the HKS HG reusable ?
    Yes, if there's no damage. You have to remove the rivets, and totally clean off all the viton that's on it, and then use Permatex copper spray sealant on every surface. If by some chance the viton is in perfect condition, then you won't have to do anything to it, but I doubt it.

Considering that Cometic and other manufacturers make multiple thickness MHG's I doubt it would be an issue to find one to make up for material milled/decked however I was wondering if it is imperative to return the thinkness back to stock? I understand it will affect the quench and squish however I was under the impression that so long as I hook up my wideband and modify the fuel/timing parameters accordingly it shouldn't be a problem provided I have the necessary pistons to valve clearance and the pistons aren't protruding out of the cylinder bore? Perhaps returning the thickness back to stock is only necessary if I intend to use the stock parameters of the ECU? I just want to make sure prior to doing a rebuild.

Grumpy Old Man

Quote Originally Posted by boostdelinquent View Post
    Considering that Cometic and other manufacturers make multiple thickness MHG's I doubt it would be an issue to find one to make up for material milled/decked however I was wondering if it is imperative to return the thinkness back to stock? I understand it will affect the quench and squish however I was under the impression that so long as I hook up my wideband and modify the fuel/timing parameters accordingly it shouldn't be a problem provided I have the necessary pistons to valve clearance and the pistons aren't protruding out of the cylinder bore? Perhaps returning the thickness back to stock is only necessary if I intend to use the stock parameters of the ECU? I just want to make sure prior to doing a rebuild.
    How did you manage that stock is 20 thou out of the holes....

Supramania Regular

Ok i am not familiar with rebuilding foreign engines (knowledable of american) Anyways i have a spare block and head that i am planning on rebuilding, not as a daily driver. I plan to build it from the bottom up inside and out. I have two mhg's one is the hks 1.2 and the other i believe is a 1.5, I know it would be a big jump to pull the rivets and make a 2.7 mhg, which would lower compression alot, but is it possible? Given i machine the block and head for use of an mhg? I plan to use bigger cams, and higher compression pistons.

I would go stand alone and upgrade fuel and air as necessary. Mind you this is only thoughts right now. just wanna know if it is is something that can actually be accomplished? any and all thoughts would be helpful.

I know by, if possible using this gasket set up i am gonna run into cam issues along with timing belt lengths and all that good stuff, but it will be done right if it can be.

Supramania Regular

I wouldn't try combining them, as the HKS stopper, at least, has three distinct parts, and I'm not sure about the other ones, but I wouldn't do it to my engine.

Supramania Regular

how do i tell the difference on them? the both look identical minus the steel thickness.

I take that back the one gasket might be a 2.0 it looks alot bigger than i originally thought. so maybe i can just work with that one and build around that?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast