+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3000 GT ignitor wiring for a standalone

Default 3000 GT ignitor wiring for a standalone

Wiring diagram to replace an MKIII ignitor with a Mitsubishi ignitor with an AEM or similiar plug and play unit.

VB - 12 volt positive
    GND - Ground
    IB1 - coil output #1 from AEM (factory iGt wire)
    IB2 - coil output #2 from AEM (factory iGda wire)
    IB3 - coil output #3 from AEM (factory iGdb wire)

OC1 - output to coils 1 - 6
    OC2 - output to coils 2 - 5
    OC3 - output to coils 3 - 4

The iGf wire is not used by the AEM and can be reasigned at the AEM connector to be a LS#1 through LS#12 output to drive the factory tach through an MSD tach adaptor part number 8920 which can be wired up right at the ignitor by using the reasigned iGf wire and the original Toyota tach feed from the stock MKIII ignitor.

Once this is all done you will need set some parameters in the AEM. Parameters such as turning coils 1,2,3, and 6,7,and 8 on, turning the multiplexing option off, and then setting the igntion phasing, spark teeth, and coil dwell.

Sean
    Last edited by X-man; June 17th, 2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Clarify for plug and play AEM or similiar standalone
    88 turbo GT42
    753 rwhp/ 589 rwtq @ 30 psi on stock internals

www.boostwerx.com
    http://www.coltranewelding.com/dyno.htm

The quiet one

Default Re: 3000 GT ignitor wiring for a standalone

Great info! Can we build a list of recommended ignitors (car year/make/model/engine and part numbers)? Ideally also a list of connector parts to make this as plug and play as possible and coil dwell settings.

Authorized Vendor

best place to get a 3000 GT ignitor? wat are the benifits btw?

You can use any 3 or up channel ignitor. The Stealth, Diamonte, and the 3000 GT all had this ignitor if it came with the DOHC engine. You will need the connectors from a doner car. If you use an ignitor with more channels you will just have to use correct input and output wires ie 300 ZX twin turbos use a 6 channel ignitor that you could tie the three input wires together( 1-6, 2-5, and 3-4) and have 6 seperate outputs if you were going to use 6 MKIV coils.

Advance Auto has 3000 GT ignitors for around 100.00 versus 350.00 to 400.00 for the MKIII ignitor.

You have tuneability with igniton phasing and you get rid of the multiplexing and I completely got rid of any and all misfiring issues with my car.
    88 turbo GT42

www.boostwerx.com

Authorized Vendor

interesting...i do have that damn 3k misfire which this might solve.

Supramania Regular

X-man gave me this info when I was having the low load/RPM misfire. Unfortunantly it only went away slightly on my car. I had to go with sequential injection to completely solve the problem.
    -92 supra
    511rwhp/12.0@120mph(old setup)
    Built 7M/GT35R
    - 06 corvette.

Supramania Regular

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    You have tuneability with igniton phasing and you get rid of the multiplexing and I completely got rid of any and all misfiring issues with my car.
    Ok so instead of using for example in AEMpro- the Multiplex coil option, you would use the Ignition Phasing option which gives you what kind of advantage? Can you not use phasing with the stock ignitor?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewRed View Post
    Ok so instead of using for example in AEMpro- the Multiplex coil option, you would use the Ignition Phasing option which gives you what kind of advantage? Can you not use phasing with the stock ignitor?

The stock ignitor receives a signal for the location of number 1 cylinder then it takes care of when the rest of the firing order occurs, if I did my homework correctly. One of the problems seems to be if for any reason there is any interference via electrical noise or signal strength this can really disrupt the signal.

On another note going sequential on the injectors wiring and firing also made a huge difference in driveability. Basically you run the car like the parameters AEM has set up for a 2jz.
    88 turbo GT42

www.boostwerx.com

Authorized Vendor

sean ima hafta pay u to come up and tune my car lol...

The quiet one

Close, the factory ECU sends an trigger signal (IGt) and combination of IGa and IGb to tell the ignitor which of the three channels to fire. The ignitor controls coil dwell, drives the tach (IG-), and signals the ECU when there is a misfire (IGf).

Switching injection from the AEM 7M default to semi sequential (like stock) has made a huge difference on all of the 7M cars I have tuned. Driveability, low end torque, and economy have all improved. I have not converted to sequential injection yet because of the 2800rpm ignition issue. I've researched several different ignitors and obtained transistors suitable for ignition duty to build my own. I just need to get off my lazy ass and get something done. Has anyone used the "#10 inj as coil" feature to run full sequential ignition? What coils are you using? Ideally COP, possibly with built in ignitors would be cool.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast