+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flywheel bolts keep backing off...

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here however

Default Flywheel bolts keep backing off...

Ok guys I've had it and I'm stumped....

I've had my flywheel bolts back out 5 times now. First time I though I didn't locktite and make them tight enough. No prob second time I use plenty of red locktite, and torque them 35 and 90" as per the 2jz mk4 manual (it's a 2jz-mk3 with 1jz flywheel)

Backs off shortly after... Ok.. time for new bolts maybe the originals are streched.

New bolts same deal wtf.. Tighten again plenty of locktight reef them in there to the point that I'm scared they are stretching.... The just backed off again off again WTF....

Anyone have any suggestions? The only explication I have is that I'm bouncing the rev limit of 7500 with the AEM and making 650 WHP the constant back and forth with the rev limit is backing them out?

Any other suggestions any ideas why this could be happening?

Help I don't like doing a clutch job a week! thanks!

Supramania Regular

Default Re: Flywheel bolts keep backing off...

Good morning.
    I dunno- Maybe that's the problem, but I've not heard many cases where the FW bolts do that. Is it possible that the threading in the crank is loose? Does anyone know if it'd be possible to have a shop drill some ARP's and safety wire them?
    My Over-budget, Over-deadline build: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...-come!-Stage-1... It now runs!

NA-GTE swap, Megan EZ Street coilovers, ST swaybars, custom endlinks, Energy Suspension bushings, 18x9/18x10 FR500's, MAFT Pro in speed density, Denso direct-fit 680cc injectors on a brand new oem harness, Aeromotive Stealth pump, Driftmotion IC/ hardpipe setup, Kamainari whaletail, 3in. Magnaflow/Borla exhaust, chromoly flywheel, Spec 2+ clutch, aluminum driveshaft, Wiseco pistons, Cunningham rods, full flow oil cooling setup, Cometic 2mm HG, ATI super damper, ARP head, rod, main and flywheel fasteners, HKS style exhaust manifold, Precision 6266 CEA turbo, DG500 COP setup, GTmat sound deadening, new carpet. Coming soon: New leather, new sound, new paint.

impact them bitches. locktite and an impact always works for me. and i have done this at least 20 times usually on dsm's and mustangs without any issue.

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D

Aren't you missing that spacer with tabs on them so you can bend them to lock the bolts in place or from backing out? I can't remember what its call (bolt locking plate commonly use for Camshaft)..lol.
    Last edited by T701jz; April 9th, 2009 at 02:17 AM.

T70 Master Power - Greddy Internals - 264 HKS Cams - MINES 540cc .... Daily Drive

MKIII - TOP SECRET HOOD DESIGN GROUP BUY: http://www.socalsupras.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37

www.advancarbon.com
    www.vibrantperformance.com
    www.summitracing.com
    www.driftmotion.com
    www.swagelok.com

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D

Driftmotion sells them.

T70 Master Power - Greddy Internals - 264 HKS Cams - MINES 540cc .... Daily Drive

MKIII - TOP SECRET HOOD DESIGN GROUP BUY: http://www.socalsupras.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37

www.advancarbon.com
    www.vibrantperformance.com
    www.summitracing.com
    www.driftmotion.com
    www.swagelok.com

Grumpy Old Man

I just clean the bolts and holes with paint thinner in a spray gun blow it out with compressed air then hit the bolts and holes with loctite primer let it set then 262 loctite torqued to factory spec, never had an issue.

Supramania Regular

i have set upas you do. i used arps and gasket maker. works perfect. also just tightend them using a rachet. never backed out on me.
    Ed.D: Is looking for 2jz-gte rebuilt head.
    The club = Ed.D: Mk3+2JZ-GTE, Ed.T: Mk3+7M-GTE, Daryl.P: Mk3 +1JZ-GTE(soon!)

Supramania's Parts Man

Post Re: Flywheel bolts keep backing off...

I take parts cleaner and clean the hole. Take a cue-tip and get all the gunk out. Get the compressed air blow it out to make sure. Put the Arp Flywheel bolts on, and use * red * locktite.

The Red locktite is said to make it near impossible to get those off, but a impact does the trick every time.

Need help with Supra Wiring? 7M : 1JZ : 2JZ, or any other Supra wiring? I can help!
    '03 EVO
    For wiring help PLEASE (EMAIL) me at Nsinfamy@hotmail.com - I am no longer on this site much - I will be able to help you through email!

Toyota Pulls You Forward Sometimes When You Don't Want Them Too

Jeff Lange wannabe

Indeed. If red strength loctite doesnt hold them, nothing will. Supraguy is probably right; if it has happened THAT much, the problem could be the threads in the crank itself. Its really weird that it keeps happening..whatever you do, its definitely time to use safety wire or whatever the equivalent is for spinning that much.
    --Lonnie : SupraStore customer service | Re-engineered GReddy Type S BOV group buy

^ Click for my 88 Supra turbo updates. Newest: 6-21/14. Also, Project9! and Project Pit Viper

Grumpy Old Man

Be interesting drilling the ARP's for safety wires them being 12 point heads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast