+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil change interval?

Default Oil change interval?

I was just looking for some good advice concerning an oil change interval for my Supra.

I have roughly 75,000 miles, drive it from April to November and put about 5,000 km's on a year. Last year I changed the oil (Castrol Syntec) before I stored it for the winter. With the low amount of miles driven I wonder how many times a year or when the best times to change the oil are?

Thanks in advance.
    1992 Supra Turbo

Default Re: Oil change interval?

No takers yet?

I'll tell you all my thoughts and maybe someone might be able to inform me better or give some better advice.

I change the oil before I put the car on blocks for the winter. I figure it's better to have fresh oil in the motor while it sits all winter long. I didn't change the oil again when I got it out for the spring because this oil is essentially new in my eyes. Now I am just contemplating...do I change the oil in the summer sometime even though I will have less than even 5k on it or just wait until the fall again before I put her away. That would be only 1 oil change per year which just doesn't seem right.

Any thoughts please.
    1992 Supra Turbo

Happy as hell :D
    Blog Entries

I change my oil every 3 months or 3000 miles because oil deteriorates over time and starts to collect water. Yes, I know you can go 5000-10000 miles on an oil change these days, but I also like keeping my motor clean.

Adam
    Project Clean 87 Build Thread
    http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40754

Engine built and tuned by Bill Bowering @ Independent Speed Shop in Langley, B.C.
    http://indy-speed.com/

Established 1994

Technically, an oil analysis is needed to see if the oil is still good. But since (almost) nobody does that, here is the schedule.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23917

7MGE oil and filter every 12 months
    7MGTE oil 5000 miles or 6 months
    7MGTE filter 10,000 miles or 12 months

In your oweners manual it would state a different rate for "harsh conditions". The repair manual has defined that for us.
    1. Towing a trailer, camper, or with a pickup topper
    2. Repeated short trips less than 5 miles below FREEZING
    3. Extensive idiling or low speed driving for long distances
    4. Dusty, rough, muddy, or salty roads

Except for the expected contamination from the last item, the others are due to excessive blowby created in those conditions. Boosting is not listed, as the engine is very hot, and you are in and out of load, unlike pulling a trailer, which we don't do anyway. When the engine heats up, the addititves put in at the refinery work to keep the oil clean and free of varnish and acid.

If you are doing this, the schedule changes to,
    7MGE 6 months oil and fitler
    7MGTE 2500 miles oil
    7MGTE 5000 miles filter.
    Have you loosened Orion's belt yet? The opposite of right is both left and wrong.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Established 1994

That being said, the Thailand special oil filter Toyota now supplies is with is banth fodder.

Nice car in the OP avatar.
    Have you loosened Orion's belt yet? The opposite of right is both left and wrong.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Filtration

Red - since you're storing the car, I would change the oil just prior to storage with the oil of your choice...WalMart Syntech and filter is fine. Run it a few miles to get the new oil through the motor and store it. When you're ready to take it out, change the oil with a good syn oil and a Wix filter. You mentioned Castrol Syntec...the only "true" synthetic oil Castrol markets in the USA is Castrol European Formula 0W-30 (aka...German Castrol). Based on the mileage you posted, this should last you the summer.

Abe - you seriously need to read this...3000 mile change interval is just dumping good oil.
    http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=65

This too...a few years old, but most oils have just gotten better:
    http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
    I will no longer respond to tech questions via PM. If you have a question, put it on the forum so everyone benefits from the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Supracentral
    However I still stand by my statement that 99 times out of 100, the weak link in the MKIII is the owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetjock
    I swear, it's like talking to an amoeba...

Want to know about oil...read this:
    Motor Oil 101 - Dr AE Haas

"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno Peppers
    What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Thanks for the information. I will start using this routine my next oil change. I am going to start using the GC also then. It wasn't until I started researching here a few months back that I realized any difference.
    1992 Supra Turbo

Jdub, I would like to ask you one more thing about oils.

I have a Mazda3 which calls for 5W20. I had switched to Castrol Syntec 5W20 the last change. Would the GC 0W30 be a better oil for this car? I have done some reading in the posts here and still don't fully understand the difference between the grp 3 and 4 synthetic oils as well as how they can market all the Syntec oils as "full synthetic" when they are not.
    1992 Supra Turbo

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Filtration

If the motor is calling for a 20W multigrade, you should stick with that. GC 0W-30 is much thicker and will not give you the desired results. You can use a 0W or 5W-20 oil...Pennzoil Platinum is an excellent choice.

The difference between a Grp III and Grp IV oil is it's feedstock. Grp III uses mineral oil...i.e. crude oil that is extracted from the ground. Grp III base stock is heavily hydrocracked to produce molecules a close as possible to the same size...Pennzoil Platinum is the best of this group IMO. Grp IV and V are man-made base stocks consisting of chemical compounds not present in crude oil but are artificially made from other compounds. These usually consist of poly-alpha-olefin (PAO, Grp IV) and esters (Grp V) that includes diesters, polyolesters, alklylated napthlenes, alkyklated benzenes, etc.

Like I said, Pennzoil Platinum is a great choice for a Grp III oil...if you want a "true syn", you will have to go with Amsoil ASL 5W-20 (PAO based) or Red Line 5W-20 (ester based). Of the two, Red Line would be my choice here.
    I will no longer respond to tech questions via PM. If you have a question, put it on the forum so everyone benefits from the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Supracentral
    However I still stand by my statement that 99 times out of 100, the weak link in the MKIII is the owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetjock
    I swear, it's like talking to an amoeba...

Want to know about oil...read this:
    Motor Oil 101 - Dr AE Haas

"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno Peppers
    What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Thanks jdub for the information and advice here. It's great to have someone on these forums with this kind of knowledge on the subject.
    1992 Supra Turbo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast