+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: How many people run an air filter on their BOV?

  1. #21
    I play with fire
    Poodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    17,664

    Default Re: How many people run an air filter on their BOV?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFi6 View Post
    " It operates
    in a normally open condition. This means that it is designed to remain open
    under vacuum conditions."
    Pulled directly from their site.
    These are also the idiots on youtube saying that it's fine for it to be open (hey idiots, that's going to cause lag)
    '89 Turbo Targa 5-Speed, ARP Studs, Cometic HG, Whiteline Adj. Swaybars, ZW DDP, Cooleeze Hardpipes, Apex'i Intake, Type II BOV, Action Stage 3 Clutch, Bilstein Shock & Springs w/ Cusco Mounts, Raptor Racing Exhaust & Cat

    >>TomTom Custom Supra Icon<<

    [Quin] 6:00 pm: fuck you
    [Quin] 6:00 pm: assholes
    [Canuckrz] 6:01 pm: fuck you and every mall santa that looks like you Quin
    [Quin] 6:01 pm: lol pwnt
    Aliens Cause Global Warming: A Caltech Lecture by Michael Crichton

    Free Toyota Autotech Literature

  2. #22

    Default Re: How many people run an air filter on their BOV?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    These are also the idiots on youtube saying that it's fine for it to be open (hey idiots, that's going to cause lag)
    Not sure exactly what your argument is. You don't have to like the BOV but are you saying that the manufacturer of the BOV doesn't know how to properly operate it? Fact is it is designed to be open under vac conditions which includes idle, decel, and cruising. Every bypass valve I have had ex Bosch has operated in the same way.

  3. #23

    Default Re: How many people run an air filter on their BOV?

    Okay, so it's open. Doesn't this mean a vacuum leak?

    So what the upshot is that you don't want to run a BOV if you're still on the AFM. You want to stick to a bypass valve, like stock or the Bosch, unless you have and are using a recirculation fitting. (Glad that I'm doing that, then.)
    In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.


  4. #24
    Living the dream...
    Supracentral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Woodstock, GA USA
    Posts
    10,611
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How many people run an air filter on their BOV?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFi6 View Post
    Not sure exactly what your argument is. You don't have to like the BOV but are you saying that the manufacturer of the BOV doesn't know how to properly operate it? Fact is it is designed to be open under vac conditions which includes idle, decel, and cruising. Every bypass valve I have had ex Bosch has operated in the same way.
    And all of the valves that operate in this manner are designed to be used with a re-circulation fitting.

    Simply put, if you operate a valve that operates like this, it shouldn't be vented to atmosphere.

    (But most people won't do that because it doesn't "sound cool".)
    >>I will no longer respond to tech questions via PM. If you have a question, put it on the forum so everyone benefits from the answer.<<


    Mike "Nightmare" Donohue

    "Stupidity is permanent and often fatal, Ignorance is curable with education..." -- Me

    Frequently Asked Supra Questions: Rod Knock - HKS WG Springs - Injector Sizing - What is A/R? - Buy a TSRM - HKS HG FAQ - AFPR - Machinist - Overboring - Vac Diags - Motor Oil - Seafoam - Spark Plugs - Air Filters - V6 vs. I6 - Solder vs. Crimp Connectors - How to make power - Stroker Motors - Unreliable 7M's? - Piston Slap - Home made race fuel - Budgeting a build - Tuning and Vf

    Frequently Asked Forum Questions: What will get you banned? - Posting and you - Ideals - Membership - Usage - BBCode - Smiles - Scammers - How to make thumbnails - History

    Other Bullshit: Global Warming - Global Warming Facts - Religion & Politics - Collectivism -War On Drugs - Founding fathers were Diests - Religion and The Constitution - Size of the Federal Gov't - Canadian Healthcare - Socialists -European opinons of the U.S. - U.S. standard of living - U.S. - the worlds best customer - Modern Education - A Government created problem - Environmentalism is a big problem - Taxes - Socialism death toll - Can't afford healthcare? - I am my own god - Atlas will shrug - Not paying a "fair share"? - Income taxes are not a necessity - How to succeed, a 60 second lesson - How a liberal approaches facts. - Who is responsible for the financial crisis? - You asked for it. - Understanding Women - Understanding Men - Personal question? Answer is probably here. - Why I carry a gun. - Fuck the rich? - US Politics in a nutshell - The one principle that matters - Why anarchy is a fools errand - This is what it feels like to be me. - Living an awesome life - The crash is coming

    Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities. I donít believe in 2,870 gods, and you donít believe in 2,869. You're nearly as much of an Atheist as I am.

    Government is a good thing: Through correct principles, I govern myself.

    Public Notice: Contrary to popular belief, I do not consider everybody who disagrees with me to have brain damage. Those who don't have brain damage will be able to explain and justify their points of view in a logically defensible way. That's the way the Rational Discourse game is played. If you don't want to play the Rational Discourse Game, don't expect anybody (least of all me) to take you seriously.

    Quote Originally Posted by jetjock View Post
    If you drive like that on public streets I won't be disappointed if, as long as you were alone, they one day hose you out of a twisted mass of smoking metal into a bucket and melt what's left of your car down into tuna cans.

  5. #25
    John 3:16
    MPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: How many people run an air filter on their BOV?

    On our MK1 MR2 with 4agze converted to turbo with 4age NA intake, we ran a Bosch oem Bov (used on porsche 911 turbo's) and they are syncronic. They purposely stay half open at idle and part throttle. But the moment there is any boost, it closes instantly. This is done to improve throttle response on off-idle tip-in and improve throttle response in general. (tip-in is where we noticed it helped the most). It is also meant to be recirculated so there is no fear of sucking anything up. We ran it open to atmosphere because we didn't care and weren't worried about it sucking anything up. lol.

    Obviously if it's your daily driver and/or you have put a lot of money into it, recirculate it or filter it.
    MPR

    89 MKIII NA 7MGE 5spd - Stock - Daily Driver

  6. #26
    I play with fire
    Poodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    17,664

    Default Re: How many people run an air filter on their BOV?

    Quote Originally Posted by MPR View Post
    On our MK1 MR2 with 4agze converted to turbo with 4age NA intake, we ran a Bosch oem Bov (used on porsche 911 turbo's) and they are syncronic. They purposely stay half open at idle and part throttle. But the moment there is any boost, it closes instantly. This is done to improve throttle response on off-idle tip-in and improve throttle response in general. (tip-in is where we noticed it helped the most). It is also meant to be recirculated so there is no fear of sucking anything up. We ran it open to atmosphere because we didn't care and weren't worried about it sucking anything up. lol.

    Obviously if it's your daily driver and/or you have put a lot of money into it, recirculate it or filter it.
    Yep, the difference between a by-pass valve and a blow-off (or pop-off) valve.
    '89 Turbo Targa 5-Speed, ARP Studs, Cometic HG, Whiteline Adj. Swaybars, ZW DDP, Cooleeze Hardpipes, Apex'i Intake, Type II BOV, Action Stage 3 Clutch, Bilstein Shock & Springs w/ Cusco Mounts, Raptor Racing Exhaust & Cat

    >>TomTom Custom Supra Icon<<

    [Quin] 6:00 pm: fuck you
    [Quin] 6:00 pm: assholes
    [Canuckrz] 6:01 pm: fuck you and every mall santa that looks like you Quin
    [Quin] 6:01 pm: lol pwnt
    Aliens Cause Global Warming: A Caltech Lecture by Michael Crichton

    Free Toyota Autotech Literature

  7. #27
    Boobs/Boost, my favorite
    RazoE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,088

    Default Re: How many people run an air filter on their BOV?

    Recirculate it and be done with it.


    '86.5 Targa 5-speed Sport Package - '91 7MGE - JUNKED
    '89 Targa 5-Speed White package - BPU'd SOLD
    '92 Hardtop 5-Speed - 2JZ-GE SOLD
    '05 Scion xB - JDMish
    '03 Lexus IS 300 5-Speed - Small mods.

  8. #28
    John 3:16
    MPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: How many people run an air filter on their BOV?

    Also, if you're running any type of MAF or AFM that measures the intake air prior to the turbo, you SHOULD be recirculating the BOV to just after the MAF/AFM and prior to the turbo inlet anyways. Otherwise it's giving extra fuel for all that metered air you just dumped out to atmosphere when you let off and will cause hesitation/extreme rich condition when shifting.
    MPR

    89 MKIII NA 7MGE 5spd - Stock - Daily Driver

  9. #29
    Boobs/Boost, my favorite
    RazoE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,088

    Default Re: How many people run an air filter on their BOV?

    Don't forget STALLING when shifting into neutral for too long.
    '86.5 Targa 5-speed Sport Package - '91 7MGE - JUNKED
    '89 Targa 5-Speed White package - BPU'd SOLD
    '92 Hardtop 5-Speed - 2JZ-GE SOLD
    '05 Scion xB - JDMish
    '03 Lexus IS 300 5-Speed - Small mods.

  10. #30
    Supramania Regular
    destrux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,137
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How many people run an air filter on their BOV?

    The OEM valve on my DSM and Mazdaspeed3 stay open at idle and low throttle cruise. The valve closes as soon as you tip into the throttle, so it doesn't cause lag. It's only open under full vacuum. I think last time I checked it closes around 15 inches of mercury. I have my Greddy set this way too, it closes as soon as you tip in. If you set the spring too loose it will cause lag though. No reason to set it that loose though, but I'm sure some people do by mistake.

    I should probably mention I have my valve in fast opening mode. The lower hose barb is connected to the IC pipe (well, technically I have mine drilled internally to do this so that's why that barb is capped in my picture). Someone who doesn't run it in fast opening mode might not see the valve open at idle. The two OEM valves on my other cars are designed the exact same way with the lower chamber connected internally to IC pipe pressure.

    I run low boost, so I can use that mode, if you run high boost a valve plumbed like that will usually leak so most people run the lower chamber vented, or they run a valve with no lower chamber. Those valve usually stay closed at idle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Links monetized by VigLink