+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Went to the drag strip for the first time ever, put down some crappy times, advice?

Supramania Regular
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Went to the drag strip for the first time ever, put down some crappy times, advic

Quote Originally Posted by 7MGTEsup View Post
    So am I reading this right? You have a full turbo back exhaust but still running 7psi boost? Get that boost cranked up to just below fuel cut and the car will come alive. If you want to raise fuel cut a tad drill out the aluminium bung on the side of AFM and wind the screw out till its all the way out (but still in the tread a turn of two) Get yourself some good tyres to as you can make up a lot of time on the launch.
    That is correct that I am running the car off of wastegate with a full turbo-back exhaust, no boost controller.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoE View Post
    Get a downpipe, upgraded IC and piping and you'll be amazed at how much of a difference it makes.
    My previous Supra had a full turbo-back exhaust, IC/piping, boost controller, and all those "basic" modifications, so I have a pretty good idea of what the car would be like.

I think for now I should stress that my objective with the car is not to just crank the best quarter mile times possible out of it, but rather make sure that the car is running correctly in stock form, as well as get the driver well practiced.

I feel that I shouldn't have to do any sort of modification to the car in order to match the stock quarter mile times provided I work on being more skilled as a driver and the car is running exactly as it should. I tend to be very slow and deliberate with my actions concerning car modifications, so don't expect big waves very quickly

It's been a busy week for me, so I haven't been working on the car much. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to get some things done. Who knows, I MIGHT even modify something.

Lurker

Default Re: Went to the drag strip for the first time ever, put down some crappy times, advic

Quote Originally Posted by emiliorescigno View Post
    That is correct that I am running the car off of wastegate with a full turbo-back exhaust, no boost controller.

My previous Supra had a full turbo-back exhaust, IC/piping, boost controller, and all those "basic" modifications, so I have a pretty good idea of what the car would be like.

I think for now I should stress that my objective with the car is not to just crank the best quarter mile times possible out of it, but rather make sure that the car is running correctly in stock form, as well as get the driver well practiced.

I feel that I shouldn't have to do any sort of modification to the car in order to match the stock quarter mile times provided I work on being more skilled as a driver and the car is running exactly as it should. I tend to be very slow and deliberate with my actions concerning car modifications, so don't expect big waves very quickly

It's been a busy week for me, so I haven't been working on the car much. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to get some things done. Who knows, I MIGHT even modify something.
    Amen.

Established 1994

My 1991 with the A340e at 3900 lbs with me and fuel ran a 15.5 @ 92 with the down pipe and exhaust. With the manual boost controller set to 13 psi (and the Lex meter for fuel cut) I ran 14.8 @ 98.
    Have you loosened Orion's belt yet? The opposite of right is both left and wrong.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Classifieds Moderator
    Blog Entries

Keep in mind, I doubt many tests of the stock car were using the automatic for acceleration times.

Where's that "careful guys, we got a badass in here" picture when you need it?

Seriously though, always better to take your time and do things right.
    -Brad
    1948 Chevrolet Fleetmaster, 1984 Celica Supra P-Type, 1987 Supra Hardtop, 1989 Supra Targa
    Fast cars, loud guitars, a lot of hard work, patience, and crazy ideas. Yup, that about sums up my life.

How to live with a Supra

Supramania Regular

Quote Originally Posted by te72 View Post
    Where's that "careful guys, we got a badass in here" picture when you need it?
    -Jordan.
    My Personal Instagram @Built1jz and I Created a Page for all Mk3 owners @Supra_Addicts

My build thread Furious 7M owner who gave up JUST CLICK ON IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan JZ View Post
    This one wont have the infamous 'M' for malfunction, so I think he'll be just fine
    Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    Been replaced with a "J" though
    (for Jordan so it's gonna be a close thing)
    Youtube Account - Turbo habanero's youtube Channel Clicky

Supramania Regular
    Blog Entries

A quick update guys:
    I changed the oil and spark plugs, as well as made sure the transmission fluid was at the right level. Things didn't seem to change that much.

I did make a pretty interesting discovery today however. I popped on the top IC pipe from my friend's car today (username: getzke), and it really did change the car's behavior. By just replacing the upper IC pipe, the car now pulls through the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts without hitting fuel cut (it sometimes would, but didn't at the track), and the car easily pushed the stock boost gauge well past the top of the gauge (over 8psi).

I'm pretty confident the upper bonded plastic section is starting to split and was causing a minor boost leak, so now I'm going to try to hunt down a nice replacement. I'm pretty picky about how my car looks/works, and I'm not a big fan of the flashy polished IC pipes, so I may just try to get a stock replacement for now.

Next drag day is on September 15th, so I'll come back with some (hopefully improved) results!

Classifieds Moderator
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty confident the upper bonded plastic section is starting to split and was causing a minor boost leak, so now I'm going to try to hunt down a nice replacement. I'm pretty picky about how my car looks/works, and I'm not a big fan of the flashy polished IC pipes, so I may just try to get a stock replacement for now.

Next drag day is on September 15th, so I'll come back with some (hopefully improved) results!
    Cooleze made a nice metal pipe set for our cars, I had them on my car when it was a 7m car. Looks nice, just a plain aluminized steel, no bling, just what you need.
    -Brad
    1948 Chevrolet Fleetmaster, 1984 Celica Supra P-Type, 1987 Supra Hardtop, 1989 Supra Targa
    Fast cars, loud guitars, a lot of hard work, patience, and crazy ideas. Yup, that about sums up my life.

How to live with a Supra

Supramania Regular

A quick update guys:
    I changed the oil and spark plugs, as well as made sure the transmission fluid was at the right level. Things didn't seem to change that much.

I did make a pretty interesting discovery today however. I popped on the top IC pipe from my friend's car today (username: getzke), and it really did change the car's behavior. By just replacing the upper IC pipe, the car now pulls through the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts without hitting fuel cut (it sometimes would, but didn't at the track), and the car easily pushed the stock boost gauge well past the top of the gauge (over 8psi).

You could always powder coat the pipes.
    1988 white 7MGTE(Current) est 360 rwhp.
    1987 red supra turbo shell(Parts car)
    1983 supra 5mge(Sold)
    2013 Dodge Dart 1.4T Multiair (New DD) blue streak color with a 6 speed manual

Driftmotion DP-Driftmotion catback-CT2657 16+ PSI-Greddy profec bspec 2-AEM UEGO-Walbro400-AFPR-560cc/Lex-Driftmotion IC hardpipe-HKS SSQ-Apexi intake-KYB Excel GR2-Hankook Ventus RS3 225/60/16

In the makings, HX35 turbo setup. See how far I can push it, shooting for minimum 450 rwhp.

Supramania Regular

Or scurf them and paint them flat black.

You just now mentioned fuel cut at 7 psi and you're still hunting? That's a red flag if i ever saw one. Boost leak test for sure that's your problem
    82 L type bought for $100, converted to P type, 85 front end, 86 digi dash, 7mgte swap, paint, suspension, bla bla bla. Going for that all around car-Drift, Drag, Street. Build thread http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...ension-ect-ect

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast