+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hatch struts: what am I doing wrong?

Default Hatch struts: what am I doing wrong?

Ordered new hatch struts from Driftmotion. Stabilus Lift-o-mat, part #SG229017.

Used the search features here & on several other sites, as well as Google, etc. I see tons of info on how to get the struts out. That actually seemed pretty straightforward, even if it was involved & time consuming to do it without stressing the trim too much.

Didn't see much talk at all on how to get the new ones back in. So I was a little surprised when the new struts needed a good 1/2-3/4" compression in order to fit into their designated spot, and I was unable to compress them without standing them on the ground & leaning on them. Which is useless. Since they're on the ground at that point.

What's the maternal-ancestor-copulatin' trick?

1992 1JZ-GTE w/ R154 5-speed and 3.73 turbo rear end. Greddy FMIC & hard pipes as well as other goodies.

Supramania Regular

Default Re: Hatch struts: what am I doing wrong?

i just installed new struts. get the hatch end on first, then just have someone open the hatch a little higher so you can get the bottom part in. i did mine myself, so it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr141 View Post
    i just installed new struts. get the hatch end on first, then just have someone open the hatch a little higher so you can get the bottom part in. i did mine myself, so it can be done.
    Same struts? The Stabilus ones?

If so, I'll call my brother to come over & do some lifting. Worth a shot, I suppose.

I was working hatch end first, and could NOT get the bottom of those suckers anywhere near the mounting holes.

Thanks.

1992 1JZ-GTE w/ R154 5-speed and 3.73 turbo rear end. Greddy FMIC & hard pipes as well as other goodies.

Classifieds Moderator
    Blog Entries

IIRC, I did the body end first, hatch end second. Did them by myself too, but used a different brand. Still work great, even though the shaft got paint on it when the car was painted, so the seals aren't 100% anymore. Still holds the hatch up as long as it's not really cold out. Good luck!

Probably not a bad idea to have an extra pair of hands anyway, doesn't feel good when your car decides to snack on your back.
    -Brad
    1948 Chevrolet Fleetmaster, 1984 Celica Supra P-Type, 1987 Supra Hardtop, 1989 Supra Targa
    Fast cars, loud guitars, a lot of hard work, patience, and crazy ideas. Yup, that about sums up my life.

How to live with a Supra

+ Reply to Thread