+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Just picked up my first Supra

Lurker

Default Re: Just picked up my first Supra

I found midnight blue in off the shelf form from duplicolor. Im planning on repainting the car before I drive it. I also dropped my block, head, and crank off at the machine shop today. I told them to dip it when they're done so it will be nice and clean for some engine enamel.

YotaMD.com author

Good choice on staying with the 7M, at least for now. The 7M reliability issues tend to be owner related and can mostly be avoided with proper care. The 2J can handle abuse like nobody's business, but the 7M isn't far off and is still a blast to drive.

Lurker

I figured i should become acquainted with the car as it is before i start making major changes. The machine shop called this morning to tell me that the head cant be machined because it is already at minimum thickness. I'm gonna pull the head thats in the car now to see if that one can be used. I might have to gut the thin head for parts and put them into the head thats on the car because the motor in the car died from being run out of oil.

Beast

that doesn't sound good, good luck with that.. I'm sticking with a stock 7m rebuild myself, waiting on parts to get it over to the machine shop

Lurker

Mine won't be too far from stock. Just want to fix the known weaknesses. I checked out the other head and the cams look good.i should have it out of the car tonight. Takea a lot longer to remove the head when its in the car than when its on the stand.lol I'll finish up tonight after work.

Lurker

update: Well its been about a month since I posted here, mainly because I hit a dead end when the machine shop condemned my 7M block. After doing a pass on the deck it was clear it had already been welded and needed more machining than it could take off still while maintaining minimum deck height. So my friend Chris who gave me the 7M was kind enough to give me a 2JZ-GE. It has high miles. Around 220k I think, but I'm just gonna run it for now because it runs good and doesn't smoke. I'm gonna grab a cheap ebay manifold and probably use a garrett turbo that I have at our shop. Also hoping to find a deal on a bell housing. I found some on ebay, but the prices were around $370-400
    Here's a the turbo I was thinking about using next to a CT26.
    556559_10151183523083222_1856977561_n.jpg
    577504_10151183524643222_717525618_n.jpg
    251929_10151183524098222_29628295_n.jpg
    Last edited by bryan163; July 7th, 2012 at 11:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234