+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel issue? Timing issue?

Lurker

Default Fuel issue? Timing issue?

Hola supramanics! So I have issue, when the motor is in park and I rev my motor is fine, but when I put a load on it and push past 2500ish I get what seems to be a misfire/putting feeling. It still pushes passed the rpms but just not a lot of power. I've checked my innercooler hoses and everything is fine, it has new spark plus and ngk wires, I've also messed with the timing and have it facing all the way to the left but still does it...I'm stumped

Dang Dude! No Way Man.

Default Re: Fuel issue? Timing issue?

Did you set the ignition timing with a timing light? If not you need to.

Lurker

Not yet, I need to rent one from the autozone, I tought I could just do it by trail and error but I'll be sure to get that light and do it that way tomorrow. I'll update the post after I've tried the timing light. Thanks.

no engine codes?

Lurker

Just timed it and same issue, no engine codes( the light works so it should show a Check engine light for codes, right?) I notice that if i hold the gas Pedel at a certain angle while I drive it( which is between no gas and badly anything) it drives Alittle better but still has a slight mis but anything more and it goes nuts, still climbs the Rpms but with a miss

Supramania Regular

Check and see if you're getting a good connection in to the coil packs on the wires. Sometimes they don't sit nicely in the socket and get a crappy connection. Also did you do the timing with the jumper in place as per the TSRM? What was the condition of the spark plugs that came out? If they were running lean enough to cause this bad a miss you would likely see it on the plugs.
    1989 Supra Turbo Targa *sold....*
    2003 Celica GT TRD *dead*
    2001 Honda Prelude

Project head swap

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike. ifyouaint1sturlast's Avatar

My first impression is that if it revs fine with no load, but then breaks up with load.. it would mean that you have a weak link somewhere. Again, I would think it's a weak link, and not an actual "something is bad" problem - if that makes sense.

When did this start happening with your car? What did you change right before it happened? I would bet my money it has something to do with the fact you messed with the timing. It needs to be on the correct tooth at the correct degree.

I know some people have recommended things, here's a list (in order) of things I'd try if this were me:

1) Check your codes. This should ALWAYS be first when diagnosing any problems with your car. (click here)
    2) Check/verify your timing to be 10 deg BTDC, with T1 and E1 jumpered in your diagnostic box, with the engine warmed up (click here)
    3) Check your grounds on your coil packs, there should be a ground going to the head. Maybe try the "igniter ground mod". (search for it)
    4) Replace your spark plugs. It's cheap enough, can't hurt, and may fix your issue. Your old ones may not be gapped correctly. Make sure they are gapped correctly, check the TSRM for gap information.

Bookmark this link:
    http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/

It's got links to the TSRM (repair manual), TEWD (electrical diagrams), EPC (part catalog), and how-to guides by the owner.

Lurker

hmmm, so during timing it is critical to have the jumper in place? if so then that maybe my problem.. but i will also check everything else, the spark plugs are brand new as i recently did my head gasket. im not getting codes as my check engine light is not on as i drive but it would not hurt for me to check thanks for the help, ill be sure to update soon as i follow through with the given advice.

Dang Dude! No Way Man.

most codes get stored. light may flash or may not. But just going by whether the light is on or not doesnt do any help.

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike. ifyouaint1sturlast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blue7mgte View Post
    hmmm, so during timing it is critical to have the jumper in place? if so then that maybe my problem.. but i will also check everything else, the spark plugs are brand new as i recently did my head gasket. im not getting codes as my check engine light is not on as i drive but it would not hurt for me to check thanks for the help, ill be sure to update soon as i follow through with the given advice.
    Nice to see someone actually take advice

Yes it is required to have the jumper while doing timing. I can't remember a time where I had a code stored that the light actually came on - most codes don't cause the indicator to light up.

Let us know how it goes!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast