+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is my distributor shot? Can they be rebuilt?

Lurker

Default Is my distributor shot? Can they be rebuilt?

I've been working on changing my 7MGE's valve shims. . . I busted one of the buckets, so I went ahead and took off the cams. Since everything was out, I also started cleaning up other things; intake, injectors, iacv, etc... Since the distributor was out, I figured I'd check the rotor and cap. I've noticed that when I rotate the rotor, it doesn't go very smoothly. It feels indexed. I'm assuming that the bearing is shot? Am I in need of a new distributor? Motor was running just fine before. The only thing that I might question is that I would hear three rapid clicks every time that I depressed the accelerator. I thought that that might have just been the dirty/old IACV...
    Can it be rebuilt? Dangers of using it as is? I don't live in a very Toyota-friendly area, so a junkyard is out. New ones seem to be a few hundred dollars. Are they serviceable?
    Thanks,

Greg
    Last edited by suprunner; May 4th, 2012 at 09:18 AM.

Default Re: Is my distributor shot? Can they be rebuilt?

my distributor did the same thing, I ended up shreadding the bushing that holds the rotor.. get a new one soon or you might get stranded on a random day... you prolly can rebuild it but if i were you id just get a used on off ebay or a junkyard
    loving supras more than i should

Lurker

Mine did that too. When the bearing goes it makes a really ugly crunching noise and the car starts missing a lot. I'm not sure about in the states but over here in Australia there are a couple of mobs that rebuild them with oversize bearings and bigger seals cos they have a propensity to leak. Either way you need a new one soon

I play with fire

Even knew they do that (because the Hall Effect sensors)
    '89 Turbo Targa 5-Speed, ARP Studs, Cometic HG, Whiteline Adj. Swaybars, ZW DDP, Cooleeze Hardpipes, Apex'i Intake, Type II BOV, Action Stage 3 Clutch, Bilstein Shock & Springs w/ Cusco Mounts, Raptor Racing Exhaust & Cat

>>TomTom Custom Supra Icon<<

[Quin] 6:00 pm: fuck you
    [Quin] 6:00 pm: assholes
    [Canuckrz] 6:01 pm: fuck you and every mall santa that looks like you Quin
    [Quin] 6:01 pm: lol pwnt
    Aliens Cause Global Warming: A Caltech Lecture by Michael Crichton

Free Toyota Autotech Literature

+ Reply to Thread