+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are human beings this ignorant? A strut brace rant.

Supramania Regular

Default Re: Are human beings this ignorant? A strut brace rant.

Day 1 of Supra Ownership - I drove the car
    Day 2 of Supra Ownership - I found the forums
    Day 3 of Supra Ownership - I bought a strut bar from ebay (for 15.00)
    Day 842 of Supra Ownership - After not putting the strut bar on at any point in time (the price scared me) I found that if I bolt it to the wall it makes an excellent rag holder in my garage. Never did get it on the car...

hmm time to turn on my laptimer and see wether it actually makes a difference on the vuchtschoot track. If i have the results i will let you guys know

Supramania Regular

Can someone explain in a nutshell why a strut brace is so useless? I kind of see why, since it connects the two towers and not really anything that is part of the suspension system.
    Chair Force
    Light Blue 1988 N/A 5 speed, sold .
    Red 1989 Turbo 5 speed, iBoost.

LOL. Well, I'll admit to having a strut brace. It's even bolted onto the car. I wanted to do some testing to see if it made an ACTUAL measurable difference (As opposed to a placebo effect difference.) I got it second-hand for $5, so whatever.

I was unable to measure any difference in chassis deflection using the bar. Test as follows: Jack car up by 4 jack points, lower each rear corner in turn until the support comes clear of the jack point, measure the amount that each corner would "follow" the support. (About 8mm averaged between the two for my car at time of measurement.)

I was unable to measure any significant compression or expansion load on the bar during traction limited cornering. (I did get a ping on it over a pothole though.) Test designed as follows: A pair of stiff springs placed either side of one side mounting bolt to a rig on the left side brace support. Movement limited to 2mm in either direction, with hitting either limit closing a switch which would light an LED on the dashboard. (One for compression, a different one for expansion.)

I then removed that rig, and did a completely non-empirical seat-of-the pants test. I couldn't tell a difference, though it's true that my car is a hard top, and I've been told that it's a much larger effect for Targa cars.

Since then, I've simply never bothered removing it, since I don't think that I'm in a position where the couple lbs weight (Even if it is at the front, and above the center of gravity) is going to make a difference. I do, however, feel that this is the most significant impact that the strut bar will have on the car's handling.

@Greek: Nutshell version: With a double wishbone suspension, there is no load between the strut towers for a strut brace to "brace"
    In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

Classifieds Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrimJack View Post
    I bought my Greddy to give girls something to lean on when bending over the engine bay.
    At least someone has figured out a use for them... I've used them as a good place to perch from when working on top of the engine or in awkward places of the engine bay.

Could they theoretically (if build solid enough) provide any engine bay protection in the event of a side collision impact?
    -Brad
    1948 Chevrolet Fleetmaster, 1984 Celica Supra P-Type, 1987 Supra Hardtop, 1989 Supra Targa
    Fast cars, loud guitars, a lot of hard work, patience, and crazy ideas. Yup, that about sums up my life.

How to live with a Supra

Supramania Regular

Quote Originally Posted by te72 View Post

Could they theoretically (if build solid enough) provide any engine bay protection in the event of a side collision impact?
    with the bolt thru design i dont see that being possible. once the metal starts to bend, the bar will twist and go with it. if it was a solid bar like the TRD bars, pics below then maybe.

010220091360sml.jpg
    010220091359sml.jpg
    my build: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...t-with-no-name...
    http://sc2sig.com/profile/us/2721974/1/bioskyline/
    [23:12:24] 7thousandpiecesmgte: damn that canadian sizzles like bacon

Well, as soon as the side impact was enough to start to move the strut tower, then the bar will transfer some of that to the other side. Might make the difference between saving your engine or not, but for all practical intents and purposes, it'll double the damage to the chassis, and make sure that the fender on the other side is also unsalvageable.
    In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

Supramania Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Greek View Post
    Can someone explain in a nutshell why a strut brace is so useless? I kind of see why, since it connects the two towers and not really anything that is part of the suspension system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ma71supraturbo View Post

With a machpherson strut, lateral loads go primarily through the lower A-arms, but because there is a moment about the hub, there is a smaller reactionary force going through the strut itself. That force can make the strut towers flex, making a strut tower bar helpful.

With a double-wishbone setup, lateral loads go primarily through the lower A-arms, but again there is a moment about the hub. However, with a double-wishbone design, the reactionary force to cancel this moment comes from the upper A-arms and not the strut. The strut itself is free to handle vertical forces. Since a strut tower bar only is effective in stiffening the tower against lateral loads and since the upper A-arms don't mount to the tower, stb's do very very little in our cars.
    Saw this post while ago.

But yeah in the end it's their cars let them do what they want to it.

I think I learnt something from Jejock. It's best not to invest time on teaching clueless people. (not saying that to you, the people in the facebook group who are being ignorent)

Supramania Regular
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hvyman View Post
    It's pointless. Let them think it makes a difference. They prolly came from hondas. The whole point of the strut brace is when there is a strut that is the upper load carrying point. We dont have that.
    Yeah, you're probably right... the sad thing is that most hondas don't have struts either! All the civics from 88' to 01', all the integras, all accords... all double wishbone front and rear.

The best place to tie the shock towers into would be a roll cage, it would increase the bending resistance of the chassis. I've seen this done on a few road racing supras.

Supramania Regular

Easy test in theory just take a piece of paper cut it in the shape of the shock tower bolt the Strut bar over the paper go for a couple corners come back take off the strut bar and look at the piece of paper.

If there was stress the paper would get ruined correct?
    -Jordan.
    My Personal Instagram @Built1jz and I Created a Page for all Mk3 owners @Supra_Addicts

My build thread Furious 7M owner who gave up JUST CLICK ON IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan JZ View Post
    This one wont have the infamous 'M' for malfunction, so I think he'll be just fine
    Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    Been replaced with a "J" though
    (for Jordan so it's gonna be a close thing)
    Youtube Account - Turbo habanero's youtube Channel Clicky

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast