+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to make your turbo spool sooner/quicker

Default how to make your turbo spool sooner/quicker

Looking around the threads info on this topic is rather scattered. and with the disappearance of turbocharged forum section i thought it would be nice to have this info in one spot. However i myself am a novice when it comes to turbos, and i don want so sound like a smart ass spitting out shit i heard around the internet so those who have experience please pitch in and share the knowledge!

Default Re: how to make your turbo spool sooner/quicker

The first step for me would be Supporting mods such as Intake, Exhaust, Downpipe, Intercooler. These few mods allow better breathing. The quicker the air can escape, the quicker it can come in. etc you get the point.

The second thing is something I have done. Im not sure about all boost controller but I have the AEM Tru Boost and it has a setting to change wastegate spring pressure setting. Some others may be a little more knowledgeable. Anyways this setting can be set just right for quicker spool time, however if you try to set it to spool to quick, once you hit max boost, you will have alot of boost spike. On the other hand if you set it too slow, the turbo will spool really slow.

This would be a few steps for the stock turbo. The next steps are getting further into detail.

Oh yeah. Forgot about the wastegate washer mod to up the boost a little.

There is a page around here on mods and hp etc.

92 7mgte. 560cc injectors, lexus afm, AEM tru boost 15PSI, AEM wideband, Intake, Full cooleaze 3 inch exhaust, test pipe, mk4 rims, HKS TEMS controller
    89 7mgte- SOLD
    90 7mgte-SOLD
    85 celica gts convertible- 5speed swap, 22re, ongoing project for years.
    66 galaxie- 302ci another ongoing project
    98 5.9l jeep- full intake, exhaust.
    2001 chevy 3500- sh%t hauler.

Just Added to the collection-

89 Turbo- Soon to be 2jz
    86 MK2- Soon to be turbo

U.S ARMY

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D

Quote Originally Posted by 92ma71 View Post
    The first step for me would be Supporting mods such as Intake, Exhaust, Downpipe, Intercooler. These few mods allow better breathing. The quicker the air can escape, the quicker it can come in. etc you get the point.

The second thing is something I have done. Im not sure about all boost controller but I have the AEM Tru Boost and it has a setting to change wastegate spring pressure setting. Some others may be a little more knowledgeable. Anyways this setting can be set just right for quicker spool time, however if you try to set it to spool to quick, once you hit max boost, you will have alot of boost spike. On the other hand if you set it too slow, the turbo will spool really slow.

This would be a few steps for the stock turbo. The next steps are getting further into detail.

Oh yeah. Forgot about the wastegate washer mod to up the boost a little.

There is a page around here on mods and hp etc.
    Really!?...I better go buy that AEM Tru Boost/Spool then :-)

T70 Master Power - Greddy Internals - 264 HKS Cams - MINES 540cc .... Daily Drive

MKIII - TOP SECRET HOOD DESIGN GROUP BUY: http://www.socalsupras.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37

www.advancarbon.com
    www.vibrantperformance.com
    www.summitracing.com
    www.driftmotion.com
    www.swagelok.com

Yes look up videos on you tube on how to set up AEM Tru Boost and you can watch them go through the settings. It is a pretty nice unit. It does alot of things and its all in a gauge in my gauge pod so it is clean set up and saves space.

92 7mgte. 560cc injectors, lexus afm, AEM tru boost 15PSI, AEM wideband, Intake, Full cooleaze 3 inch exhaust, test pipe, mk4 rims, HKS TEMS controller
    89 7mgte- SOLD
    90 7mgte-SOLD
    85 celica gts convertible- 5speed swap, 22re, ongoing project for years.
    66 galaxie- 302ci another ongoing project
    98 5.9l jeep- full intake, exhaust.
    2001 chevy 3500- sh%t hauler.

Just Added to the collection-

89 Turbo- Soon to be 2jz
    86 MK2- Soon to be turbo

U.S ARMY

Lurker

I just did a mod for this 3 days ago. The stock wastegate actuator spring is just too soft. Throwing boost controllers at it will boost it up but the turbo will spike and settle back down to a lower boost. Shimming the wastegate with washers barely does much (I was using this setup since I installed a stock turbo upgrade). Iended up using a stiff spring and attached it to the stock turbo wastegate arm and bracket to give additional spring tension. This gave the car 10 psi boost with no boost controller and a noticeable increase in boost response with boost coming right off the turbo outlet nipple. It's an old school trick that I'm surprised I haven't found one on this forum through the search feature (maybe a veteran will know?).

The stiffer spring will hold more boost longer with boost controllers with less spike. The spring has to be decently stiff but not too stiff or it will give too much boost on stock fuel systems. Too soft and you won't see a noticeable difference. Give it a try and you'll see.

I came from the SRT-4 world where the stock turbo wastegate would only put out 4 psi on full boost signal. This is what made boost increase so slowly and spike like crazy. The most common first upgrade is a wastegate actuator upgrade that solves this issue.

If you need pics I will try to snap some.

Also the previous posts on intake and exhaust upgrades are a must for a fast boost response. The stock exhaust and turbo outlet elbows are VERY restrictive. Open them up and it is a very noticeable gain.
    89 MK3
    7mGE->GTE swap, R154 with 6 Puck clutch, 3.91 LSD
    Stock IC, Stock 440cc Inj, HG bolt torque increased

Mods: 3" TBE, CT26 57 Trim wheel, Modified WGA for increased boost response @ 10psi (No boost controller installed), HPS Intake tube with K&N cone filter (I want a stock intake tube for stock look), Lexus AFM modded Turbobox style, AFPR, Walbro in-tank fuel pump, 12v mod.

In work: Factory fuel filter delete -> RX-7 fuel filter mod in progress.

Have more mods to be installed... FMIC, NOS single fogger (for kicks and giggles).

Quote Originally Posted by Turbobox View Post
    I just did a mod for this 3 days ago. The stock wastegate actuator spring is just too soft. Throwing boost controllers at it will boost it up but the turbo will spike and settle back down to a lower boost. Shimming the wastegate with washers barely does much (I was using this setup since I installed a stock turbo upgrade). Iended up using a stiff spring and attached it to the stock turbo wastegate arm and bracket to give additional spring tension. This gave the car 10 psi boost with no boost controller and a noticeable increase in boost response with boost coming right off the turbo outlet nipple. It's an old school trick that I'm surprised I haven't found one on this forum through the search feature (maybe a veteran will know?).

The stiffer spring will hold more boost longer with boost controllers with less spike. The spring has to be decently stiff but not too stiff or it will give too much boost on stock fuel systems. Too soft and you won't see a noticeable difference. Give it a try and you'll see.

I came from the SRT-4 world where the stock turbo wastegate would only put out 4 psi on full boost signal. This is what made boost increase so slowly and spike like crazy. The most common first upgrade is a wastegate actuator upgrade that solves this issue.

If you need pics I will try to snap some.

Also the previous posts on intake and exhaust upgrades are a must for a fast boost response. The stock exhaust and turbo outlet elbows are VERY restrictive. Open them up and it is a very noticeable gain.
    were did you get your stiffer spring from?

Supra Tuner

3in exhaust with intergrated 3in elbow
    intake
    fmic with 2.5in piping

Try those first and then see if you want more anthony. you know you're not a speed demon so you'll probably be happy with those 3 mods for now lol
    Boosted Pleasure

333k and going strong

A stiffer spring will help, but its still a linear spring that starts to open early. You may lessen the problem, but its still there. Most electronic boost controllers are a basic pid controller.

A properly set up pid style boost controller can almost entirely eliminate the unnecessary boost lag. It will show the wastegate spring almost no pressure until you hit the Target pressure, then it snaps open with a speed you can control. And it will not have boost creep or boost loss if you tune it.

My greddy profec b spec 2 made a huge difference. I can feel the difference when I turn it on and off at the stock boost level. (7psi). I have no creep and boost climbs fast to 7 and holds steady through 3rd gear. If I do a pull up through 5th it starts to creep in 5th, but I should be driving that fast anyways...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D

SP Quick Spool valve

T70 Master Power - Greddy Internals - 264 HKS Cams - MINES 540cc .... Daily Drive

MKIII - TOP SECRET HOOD DESIGN GROUP BUY: http://www.socalsupras.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37

www.advancarbon.com
    www.vibrantperformance.com
    www.summitracing.com
    www.driftmotion.com
    www.swagelok.com

if you wanted to go all out your could port and polish the head and also build the block. the more displacement, the faster the spool

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast