+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: What motor oil should I use in my 7MGTE? (I ask after reading all sticky threads)

  1. #11
    Supramania Regular
    Suprapowaz!(2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx.
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: What motor oil should I use in my 7MGTE? (I ask after reading all sticky threads)

    Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post



    Where does it say in the manual that a 10W-40 is recommended? It shows what's allowed, but there are no recommendations for a specific weight oil. If you want to use 20 year old info and extrapolate to a modern oil, have at it. Ignorance is indeed bliss

    Me? I'm going to base my opinion on specs and hard facts.
    Well, I don't have my original manual. Only going by what TSRM has printed. I just read Motor Oil 101, and it makes perfect sense. You're right though.... ignorance is bliss.

  2. #12
    Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Filtration
    jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    10,734

    Default Re: What motor oil should I use in my 7MGTE? (I ask after reading all sticky threads)

    Using a 10W-40 is not necessarily bad - like JJ said, you can fret over this stuff to an extreme - any Grp IV or V oil will work fine. Even the advanced Grp III hydrocracked oils (Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, Mobil I, etc) will do just fine as well - hydrocracked base stocks have advanced to the point where there is little difference compared to Grp IV and V. What torques me is that companies are allow to call a Grp III a synthetic and sell as such - that's marketing BS, pure and simple.

    FYI: By definition, a Grp IV is PAO based - a Grp V is all other synthetics, what you see are the ester based oils. Grp V is far less common due to the expense in making it - Redline is the most common, a Grp V ester based oil.

    If a motor has a lot of miles, a 10W-40 just might be what you want to use - a 5W-40 would be a better choice IMO for the reduced cold start viscosity. One thing to also keep in mind is the manual and TRSM lists oils that were available at the time - the 0W and 5W multigrades were a rare bird back then.

    I'm glad you got my point - making an informed choice is far better than listening to opinion
    I will no longer respond to tech questions via PM. If you have a question, put it on the forum so everyone benefits from the answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Supracentral
    However I still stand by my statement that 99 times out of 100, the weak link in the MKIII is the owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetjock
    I swear, it's like talking to an amoeba...


    Want to know about oil...read this:
    Motor Oil 101 - Dr AE Haas


    "Life is like a jar of Jalapeno Peppers
    What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

  3. #13
    Supramania Regular
    Suprapowaz!(2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx.
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: What motor oil should I use in my 7MGTE? (I ask after reading all sticky threads)

    Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    I'm glad you got my point - making an informed choice is far better than listening to opinion

    And knowing is half the battle.

  4. #14

    Default Re: What motor oil should I use in my 7MGTE? (I ask after reading all sticky threads)

    Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    What torques me is that companies are allow to call a Grp III a synthetic and sell as such - that's marketing BS, pure and simple.
    But does it really matter? If you are willing to pay ex. 6 dollars a quart for a quality oil, what difference does it make where it came from? Are you paying for the process or are you paying for the final product? All I personally care about in the end is that it is a good quality product. Perhaps if they raised the price of group IV/V oils rather than lower the price of group III oils, it would make us feel better?

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    VegaSupra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: What motor oil should I use in my 7MGTE? (I ask after reading all sticky threads)

    So although San Diego is no Phoenix, we still see temps north of 100 every summer, and rarely see below 45F at any time of year. I have never checked into Amsoil's prices, but I don't particularly feel the need to lay down my money for a companies percevied image value when another company has a similar quality product for less bread.

    I'll probably go for GC. So should I run 5W-30 or 10W-30 or does it not even matter? I'd reckon that I could stick with one weight year round, given the reasonably smallish temp ranges that I see in San Diego.

    Thanks for your help everyone, and thanks for all the good info jdub.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    VegaSupra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: What motor oil should I use in my 7MGTE? (I ask after reading all sticky threads)

    I am looking for German Castrol and it looks like my local Autozone carries it. But I only see 0w30. Is that the only variety it comes in?

    Also, it's named "Castrol Syntec" right? Sorry if these seem like super noob questions. I just want to make sure I get the right oil. If 0w30 is the only option, is that what I should run my 68K mile Supra with in San Diego?

    thx

  7. #17

    Default Re: What motor oil should I use in my 7MGTE? (I ask after reading all sticky threads)

    Ya 0w30 is the only variety of German Castrol fully synthetic, just make sure it says "Made in Germany" on the back. Because even a 0wXX oil is "too thick" when cold, a 0wXX will always be a better choice than a 5wXX 10wXX 20wXX etc. even in the hottest of weather.

  8. #18
    Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Filtration
    jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    10,734

    Default Re: What motor oil should I use in my 7MGTE? (I ask after reading all sticky threads)

    Quote Originally Posted by VegaSupra View Post
    I am looking for German Castrol and it looks like my local Autozone carries it. But I only see 0w30. Is that the only variety it comes in?

    Also, it's named "Castrol Syntec" right? Sorry if these seem like super noob questions. I just want to make sure I get the right oil. If 0w30 is the only option, is that what I should run my 68K mile Supra with in San Diego?

    thx
    GC is labeled "Syntec" - it should also say "European Formula" on the front. As mentioned, it comes only in a 0W-30 and (most important) says "Made in Germany" on the back.
    I will no longer respond to tech questions via PM. If you have a question, put it on the forum so everyone benefits from the answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Supracentral
    However I still stand by my statement that 99 times out of 100, the weak link in the MKIII is the owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetjock
    I swear, it's like talking to an amoeba...


    Want to know about oil...read this:
    Motor Oil 101 - Dr AE Haas


    "Life is like a jar of Jalapeno Peppers
    What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

  9. #19
    Supra Tuner
    suprastroker88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: What motor oil should I use in my 7MGTE? (I ask after reading all sticky threads)

    I live in the East Bay area of nothern california. I just put about 2000miles on my fresh motor and I want to go synthetic. Redline and GC are the most common in the stores around me. I was looking more towards Redline. Is one better than the other?

    I have NPR pistons, Clevites, AZ performance pump pipe, and a shimmed oil pump. What weight Redline or GC should I use?

  10. #20
    Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Filtration
    jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    10,734

    Default Re: What motor oil should I use in my 7MGTE? (I ask after reading all sticky threads)

    Quote Originally Posted by suprastroker88 View Post
    I live in the East Bay area of nothern california. I just put about 2000miles on my fresh motor and I want to go synthetic. Redline and GC are the most common in the stores around me. I was looking more towards Redline. Is one better than the other?

    I have NPR pistons, Clevites, AZ performance pump pipe, and a shimmed oil pump. What weight Redline or GC should I use?
    Re- read this thread. Then read Motor Oil 101 in my sig.
    I will no longer respond to tech questions via PM. If you have a question, put it on the forum so everyone benefits from the answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Supracentral
    However I still stand by my statement that 99 times out of 100, the weak link in the MKIII is the owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetjock
    I swear, it's like talking to an amoeba...


    Want to know about oil...read this:
    Motor Oil 101 - Dr AE Haas


    "Life is like a jar of Jalapeno Peppers
    What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Links monetized by VigLink