+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1JZ VVTi, apparently a 1.5JZ. Crazy comp test ? Why its so HIGH ?

Smile 1JZ VVTi, apparently a 1.5JZ. Crazy comp test ? Why its so HIGH ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F9Vqqd_WSQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4308ZtEwx8

Hey, I've bought that crazy engine. Can you pls look at the vids I uploaded ?
    The compression seems too high. Even for an NA engine.
    I did pour some oil inside the cyl before testing. But I don't think it can affect the comp that way.
    The lowest comp I got was 14kg/cm3(14bar), other were 18bar, 16 bar and some even over 20bar!!!

Also if you look at the engine it has 2JZ stamped on the block. And it uses 1jz vvti head and all electronics, including the ECU.
    But according to the part number on the timing belt: its still 1jz timing belt.
    Which really makes my head go round. What kind of hybrid is that ? Or what I could be really looking into ?
    Also the timing belt seems a bit loose. I can push it down with a finger for ~1cm.

Another thing I need help with is the wiring.
    Some of the body plugs are chopped off. So I've included some pictures of the plugs and wires.
    If someone can give me a couple of pointers what are the wires in those plugs and in those bunch of wires ?
    I just wanna start the engine on the floor to check if everything is working properly.

Do you think I should leave that engine, or just return it ?

Thanks in advance!

JayHall's Hero

Default Re: 1JZ VVTi, apparently a 1.5JZ. Crazy comp test ? Why its so HIGH ?

I'll buy it if you verify it is actually a 1jz head on a 2jz block. It is n/a? Looks like a n/a 2jz vvt-i engine.

Better pic of the ecu label?
    88 Supra 2.5TT-R

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in 31 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhall View Post
    Nicks my new hero just becasue of where he lives

Quote Originally Posted by nick88 View Post
    I'll buy it if you verify it is actually a 1jz head on a 2jz block. It is n/a? Looks like a n/a 2jz vvt-i engine.

Better pic of the ecu label?
    No way that looks like a na vvt-i 2jz, clearly thats a vvt-i 1jzGTE

oh and Op your compression tester is bad
    1jz powered s14

Grumpy Old Man

203psi and 290psi cranking?

JayHall's Hero

That is definatly a vvt-i 1.5jz. How much did you buy it for?
    88 Supra 2.5TT-R

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in 31 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhall View Post
    Nicks my new hero just becasue of where he lives

Smile Re: 1JZ VVTi, apparently a 1.5JZ. Crazy comp test ? Why its so HIGH ?

Here are some other pics of the motor. And yes, its turbo 1jz vvti head. Also it doesn't look like the conversion was made in home garage. Or the holes for the turbo oil feed drilled out.
    All the bolts surfaces are intact, no orange/gray gasket glue on the gaskets. And etc.
    I bought it for around 2k USD. Same price as Non VVti 2jz-gte go here for.
    But there is limited supply here. 2JZ I could find were all in bad shape. And this one looked like in a very good nick.

What you guys think ? You think my comp tester is bad ? I just bought it last week.
    Maybe too much oil in cylinders and it killed the comp tester ?

Anyone can give me a few pointers on the wiring ?
    Last edited by robots; July 5th, 2010 at 05:35 AM.

do you get similar numbers in each cylinder, on different tries? meaning do you get the same reading from the same cylinder if you test it more than once? (but after testing a different cylinder first before returning to the other)

一番 King

well, that's not something one sees everyday..
    Enjoy following car culture? 'Like' our FB page: Shutokou Syndicate
    or check out our website: Shutokou Syndicate

Advanced Race Technology / The Boost Lab
    JZA70 Aero GT / BW S300/83-75 powered
    7M FREE Zone

Quote Originally Posted by suprahero View Post
    Chris, that isn't glare from the HID's. Everytime a 7m makes it through WOT without blowing up, God sacrifices a star and throws it towards earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by csnow View Post
    When all else fails, follow the manufacturer. What did Toyota do? Did they stay with the 7M? See, that was easy.

i have wired one of these engines.very hard to get information on,il post the wiring up for you.i would check your cam timing.or its a n/a 2jz with high comp pistons standard.

Quote Originally Posted by nick88 View Post
    That is definatly a vvt-i 1.5jz. How much did you buy it for?
    How would you know? Two posts before you had said it looked like an n/a? N/a jz don't come with ffim.

OP: I say try a new tester. VVT-i 1j is higher compression than non-VVT-i 1j, wondering now if it's the same for n/a as well. Not interested enough to look myself. Out of curiosity, did you know going into this about it being a frankenstein? And if so, why would you go that route? It sucks fixing other people's problems, hopefully you didn't get your self into a financial cluster fu**

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast