+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No fire to plugs or coil pack. Engine turns, but won't start.

Lurker

Question No fire to plugs or coil pack. Engine turns, but won't start.

hi the title just about says it. the car had been running fine for the most part. made several long distance trips. had the car sitting for a while, as i was looking for a new door/w glass after being broken into. got the car set and ready to run. took a drive and got it cleaned.
    the next day i noticed that at idle the car was running at a lower idle than usual, and seemed like it was about to die unless i touched the gas pedal to increase the rpms.
    the next night the car would not start. the engine will turn over and try, but it wouldn't fire up.
    today i checked and i'm not getting any fire at the spark plugs, or to the coil pack. it doesn't arc. it also doesn't smell like it's pumping any fuel.
    i'm thinking it might be the "ignition system control box" under the hood on the driver's side. i'm going to take it out and have it tested at a dealership tomorrow.
    any other possibilities you guys can suggest would help.
    thanks in advance , Josh

Update! i just checked and i have an error code 12

Diagnosis
    •No "NE" or "G" signal to ECU within 2 seconds after engine has been cranked.
    Trouble Area
    •Distributor, or CPS, circuit
    •Distributor or CPS
    •Starter signal circuit
    •ECU

could this cause the problem i described?
    Last edited by badass_m0_f0; March 20th, 2010 at 11:29 AM.

Lurker

Default Re: No fire to plugs or coil pack. Engine turns, but won't start.

any advice?

Supramania Regular

go to the tsrm and get the cps specs, make sure you have no broken wires, or connection problems. And yes the if i am correct the cps does control the spark.

JayHall's Hero

Mess with the cps plug a little, then try and start it.
    88 Supra 2.5TT-R

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in 31 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhall View Post
    Nicks my new hero just becasue of where he lives

Supramania Regular

double check your timing also maybe the belt slipped?

Lurker

Last weekend on the first spring drive, I lost engine power at about 80mph on the highway. As I was coasting, I repeatedly depressed the throttle only to hear the throttle body opening yet no power. Upon stopping, I was able to crank the engine, but it did not fire up. This persisted throughout pumping the gas, checking the fuses etc.

Now here is where the serious troubleshooting starts. I took a volt-meter to the ignition componenst as per the TSRM. The coil pack was not receiving power, the ignitor was receiving 12v, but the Cam Positioning Sensor was not giving back ANY reading in ohms for any of the connections. The TSRM states it should be receiving 180 in resistance. The ECU is flashing a 12 error, which is "no NE to G within 2 seconds of crank".

So hopefully this helps the original poster troubleshoot. But my question is, would it be safe to assume that the CPS is at fault in my situation and possibly even in the original poster's?

Thank you.

it would be pretty safe to assume that your cps is to blame if you are not getting any resistance when checked. i had the same problem about a week ago. driving then the engine died and would not start back up. timing was correct but no spark from coil pack. i checked my cps and it also had no resistance. it turned out the cover was cracked and oil had gotten in there which i attributed to being the reason it went out. i replaced the cps per tsrm and low n behold running smooth as can be. hope this helps

Lurker

I wanted to close this thread up with my earlier post. I replaced the CPS with a known good one from HalMKIII here on the forum. Still no dice, but I went back to the TSRM and started troubleshooting. I started to reset the timing and see if I had just plugged the CPS in wrong. I went to rotate the crank, but noticed that the cam lobes were not turning. I took off the cam cover to find that the timing belt was shredded to hell and the little teeth were everywhere inside except on the belt. So, to sum it up, yes the CPS probably wasn't good, but an error 12 can also be a stripped timing belt. The engine turned over fine, but no spark to the spark plugs and error code 12 from the ECU. Good luck to everyone. Thanks for everyone who posted on here to help with the problem.

it sounds like your efi fuse it blown is a number 15 amp check that if its bad u get no fuel or spark let me know thanks

Supramania Regular

Is the 7m an interference engine? if so i would check for bent valves also. maybe even piston damage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast