+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing crank timing pulley woodruff key, oil seals, and pressing balancer on?

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!

Default Installing crank timing pulley woodruff key, oil seals, and pressing balancer on?

I've done some searching and reading and found some things, but still have these questions.

I purchased a new woodruff key for the timing belt crank pulley from toyota, and it's a very tight fit, I can only manage to stick 1/3 of one end in by hand in attempt to wiggle or push it down in...I imagine it should be snug but how snug? It fits the pulley just fine, no wiggle but not tight.

My original woodruff key was damaged because my harmonic balancer's key was too small, (damn P.O.!) and let THAT get damaged...hence the new key. Tips on getting the little thing in would be appreciated

Also, I know the harmonic dampener is a "light press fit," can I just get it partially on and let the pulley bolt press it on?

Lastly, I read a post by IJ about putting permatex #4 around the oil seals to help seal them to the block, and I don't know which color/type of sealant #4 is... and I'm guessing any light grease will be ok to lube the inner wall of the seal?
    Last edited by Figit090; January 17th, 2010 at 03:18 PM.

Grumpy Old Man

Default Re: Installing crank timing pulley woodruff key, oil seals, and pressing balancer on?

Tap the key in with a plastic hammer or a piece of aluminium.

Big piece of wood on the front of the damper and tap it on with a hammer, I use antiseize.

#4 is black just like #3 but it sets up hard whereas #3 stays gooey.

Default Re: Installing crank timing pulley woodruff key, oil seals, and pressing balancer on?

Thank you Ian. Much appreciated.

My power was out yesterday right after I posted this...very aggravating to know there's probably help waiting but not have the means to do anything about it. All I could do was remove my water pump, and wait. lol.

Just coat the inner lip of the seal with assembly lube so it doesn't burn up when you start up.

I will either do that or use some grease. Either sounds good though, so I'll probably grab the assembly lube since I have such a huge tube of it. Thanks for the suggestion, I even looked at the tube and didn't even think of using it!

I play with fire

A lot of seals come pre-greased these days as well
    '89 Turbo Targa 5-Speed, ARP Studs, Cometic HG, Whiteline Adj. Swaybars, ZW DDP, Cooleeze Hardpipes, Apex'i Intake, Type II BOV, Action Stage 3 Clutch, Bilstein Shock & Springs w/ Cusco Mounts, Raptor Racing Exhaust & Cat

>>TomTom Custom Supra Icon<<

[Quin] 6:00 pm: fuck you
    [Quin] 6:00 pm: assholes
    [Canuckrz] 6:01 pm: fuck you and every mall santa that looks like you Quin
    [Quin] 6:01 pm: lol pwnt
    Aliens Cause Global Warming: A Caltech Lecture by Michael Crichton

Free Toyota Autotech Literature

Yeah the oil punp seal is pre-lubed with red grease.

I got the key mose of the way in for the timing pulley but the end closer to the engine is sticking up a little bit and I can't tap it in any further. Since the pulley slips almost all the way over the key by hand, could I just tap the pulley on and let it push the key down if it needs to?

Grumpy Old Man

I usually tap the end facing out a little low anyway Fig, the pully will level it out as it goes on.

Thank you so much Ian! savin me lotsa worry about getting in a bind. literally.

Tighten that crankshaft bolt to 195 Ft lbs.
    http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/TechTi...ror_codes.aspx
    My Build Thread http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34229
    7MGTE ,Je pistons .20 over , king main and rod bearings , new oil pump, new aux. shaft bearings , eagle rods, 3mm hks head gasket, arp main ,rods and head bolts and studs, aem cam gears, hks 50mm wastegate, hks longrunner manifold,Percison gt4088 turbo,greddy type s bov, 4x12x24 xs power intercooler, RPS max 3200 clutch kit , new pilot shaft bearing and throwout bearing, New hoses, Cooleeze upper rad pipe, RC 550 fuel injectors, Lexas afm, A-1000 fuel pump,sump in fuel tank, afr, Still needs installed:Ron's long runner FFIM, QT-45, hurst line-loc,Aem-Ems,greddy catch can

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast