+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mgte tune up

Lurker

Question 7mgte tune up

Whats up guys. I just barely bought my dream mk III. The previous owner had rebuilt the ct26, and the head with new gaskets, oversized valves, etc. Its blowing white smoke and He mentioned it hasn't been tuned with the new build on it and could be running too rich. the motor knocks at higher rpms. I am new to this motor so I am just looking for tuning suggestions and tips to help me get this motor running like a champ. Thanks again.

Dang Dude! No Way Man.

Default Re: 7mgte tune up

white smoke is not a tuning issue. your either burning coolant or oil.

how are your valve stem seals? do you leak any coolant?

Supramania Regular

Coolant.

Knocking at high RPMs? I would figure this out first.
    Getting old is mandatory, growing up isn't. --- Boostin Since 10/28/08
    13.4at105MPH/14PSI...The smell of cash is easily forgotten when all you smell is rubber.
    Be careful not to step in the bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mgteNewb View Post
    Whats up guys. I just barely bought my dream mk III. The previous owner had rebuilt the ct26, and the head with new gaskets, oversized valves, etc. Its blowing white smoke and He mentioned it hasn't been tuned with the new build on it and could be running too rich. the motor knocks at higher rpms. I am new to this motor so I am just looking for tuning suggestions and tips to help me get this motor running like a champ. Thanks again.
    White smoke is a symptom of moisture in the cylinder, typically due to coolant as mentioned. Unless it is a blueish smoke which is oil. You can do a leak down test on each cylinder with air. Open your radiator cap and see if you can see bubbles. If you do, it's a head gasket issue. Running too rich would typically cause you to push black smoke out the tail pipe. And a Knocking a higher RPM's could be from the timing too advanced or not enough fuel to cool the cylinder.

Does the motor knock only at higher RPM's?
    Last edited by Anthres; January 9th, 2010 at 08:27 PM.

Could also be indicative of blown turbo bearing. Check the axial shaft for excessive play.

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."

A vid of the knock would be nice.

Supramania Regular

def a vid of the knock noise. about what rpm is it? high rpm is vague. What kind of knock is it? rod, valves, igntion knock? I would personally find out what and where its coming from first along with checking for bhg or bad turbo. If you got a bhg and repair that and still have a knock, than you got more work ahead of ya. best to get it all done in one shot.

Lurker

Im going to take her into the shop later this week, but I started her up today and she idels fine but after about ten minutes the white smoke starts up. When I rev up to 4000 and beyond my engine light turns on.....?

The engine light could be a separate issue entirely...as people have said white smoke = coolant; also, there are no engine codes that are related to knocking except for code 52 (bad knock sensor), but I'm not sure if that would cause an audible knock in your case. You should still check your codes though, that will give you some more info...

could b turbo
    Mk3 Pride

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast