• Maybe, depends on the price

94 42.73%
  • No, I like the Targe wobble

27 12.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Targa bars, now available!!

Default Re: TARGA BARS !!, Gauging interest

I would deff want a set. I took one ride in my car the first week I bought it with the roof off and was like "omg whats wrong with my car" then I remembered it was a supra.

Randy I like the idea but with both bars parrallel and no cross brace, would torsional rotation not still just twist them? ie:the left side and right side move independantly of each other?
    "This will decimate all!!"

Alright, this is a decent response already. First off, this thread is about Targa bars, not the floor brace, thats for another discussion. I dont see how a brace going from the left rocker to the right rocker behind the drivers seat is going to stop targa wobble, targa wobble comes from horizontal deflection and diagonal deflection...maybe I will make one to test if it will make any difference.

I will not make an X brace design, there is those available already, and I dont find a need for the X brace. I have run these two seperate bars and it makes a HUGE difference in handling and stiffness, yes the full X style may be the most ridgid, but there is too many down sides to it and cost. The BIC bars are simple, compact and work great.

Targa bars that would fit with the Targa on are pointless. First off making the opening "stiffer" with bars then putting the roof on is kind of self defeating, as it is only as strong as the mounting points, and the mounting points of the targa are still only a few layers of sheet metal, and even if the opening is ridgid, it will still flex at the mounting points. I have looked into making these work with the top attached and there is no easy way to do this, you would have to tear apart the interior and cut your panels to fit anykind of bracing, then you would have this low hanging structure whacking your head on every bump you hit or hard corner. The labour costs would be alot higher as there would have to be alot more design and fabricating to go into these, which would make for higher cost.....who would be willing to pay $300+ for these then, because thats what it would take to make them feasable for us to make. Remember I run a business, not a charity.

You guys that are worried about the hassel of bolting these on, I dont know what to say....it takes maybe a minuite to attach these, including the time it takes to get them out from under the seat, there is 4 bolts to tighten, and using the factory targa tools. It doesnt get any easier than this.

STATICPAGE: I could possible have BIC etched in by my laser cutter $$. Or we have some smaller decals we can put on them if you want.

Now for the price, I dont think that we could do $100 for them, at least not in stainless steel. We are aiming for a price between $120-149 including hardware and possibly even a pouch / bag to put them in when not in use.

Supramania Regular

I have a set of the Dean Marcum targa bars from way back...

I also have a 1st and 2nd gen X-brace (WeezL Wings).

For the price, the targa bars are a very effective. The X-brace is stiffer, but cost (demand) keeps production low (expensive)... I do love sportin' mine.

There are pros/cons to anything to stop the wobble. The compactness of the targa bars is a major selling point. With a storage bag and maybe some "sleeker" design... the target price is pretty reasonable.

You will defintely see a positive difference and be glad U got a set.

"The Ninja"
    Blog Entries

I love drivin around with the targa off but it drives me nuts on a bump road. So if i have the money, i'll prolly pick up a set, toward summer once i get it back on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    5am cold wet doing a logging run, 100mph 2psi boost and wheelspin = HUGE OHH SHIT I'M GONNA DIE moment
    Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    cant say ive seen wheel spin at 2psi, but i usually avoid warp speed in the wet
    92 Diamond White Pearl *Totalled* Feb. 11, 2011
    89 Black Rudy Pearl *Traded * Dec. 31, 2010
    89 Pearl Targa Turbo *Parting out*
    89 Mohogandy Hardtop *R.I.P* 05/2009 Parted Out

el_boricua_luny

i want one...these still available?
    el_boricua_luny [>=]

i eat it

Boobs/Boost, my favorite

I'd be in for a floor bar..!!!
    '86.5 Targa 5-speed Sport Package - '91 7MGE - JUNKED
    '89 Targa 5-Speed White package - BPU'd SOLD
    '92 Hardtop 5-Speed - 2JZ-GE SOLD
    '05 Scion xB - JDMish
    '03 Lexus IS 300 5-Speed - Small mods.

Enjoyin' mah ride...

One set of Targa Bars with the storage bag, please.

The Name's Chunks

Im with 92nsx, There too high and look like they stick up from the windshield, a lower more sleek design would IMO be better.

Didn't someone do testing with the floor bar and find it doesn't do anything noticeable? I wouldn't imagine it would do anything other then give you a more proper place to mount harnesses and take up rear passenger floor space.

A bar that fits under the roof would be very hard to make, there isnt much room under there and how well it would end up fitting/look would rely heavily on the end user to modify the roof to fit over it.

I like the idea, but the only problem I see with it is that it sits up to high, i think if the bars sat lower or more in line with the top of the windshield it would look a little better.

Id be in for a set later on, i have other things Im budgeting for on the car now. :/

'89 Turbo Targa 2JZGE, BC272, 6466, 8860, Cobra BBK, E85, TH350. 516WHP/421WTQ@20PSI
    My build thread
    JZ Power steering fitting and More For Sale
    ATI 2JZ GM Trans adaptor complete kit for sale

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by becauseican View Post
    Alright, this is a decent response already. First off, this thread is about Targa bars, not the floor brace, thats for another discussion. I dont see how a brace going from the left rocker to the right rocker behind the drivers seat is going to stop targa wobble, targa wobble comes from horizontal deflection and diagonal deflection...maybe I will make one to test if it will make any difference.

I will not make an X brace design, there is those available already, and I dont find a need for the X brace. I have run these two seperate bars and it makes a HUGE difference in handling and stiffness, yes the full X style may be the most ridgid, but there is too many down sides to it and cost. The BIC bars are simple, compact and work great.

Targa bars that would fit with the Targa on are pointless. First off making the opening "stiffer" with bars then putting the roof on is kind of self defeating, as it is only as strong as the mounting points, and the mounting points of the targa are still only a few layers of sheet metal, and even if the opening is ridgid, it will still flex at the mounting points. I have looked into making these work with the top attached and there is no easy way to do this, you would have to tear apart the interior and cut your panels to fit anykind of bracing, then you would have this low hanging structure whacking your head on every bump you hit or hard corner. The labour costs would be alot higher as there would have to be alot more design and fabricating to go into these, which would make for higher cost.....who would be willing to pay $300+ for these then, because thats what it would take to make them feasable for us to make. Remember I run a business, not a charity.

You guys that are worried about the hassel of bolting these on, I dont know what to say....it takes maybe a minuite to attach these, including the time it takes to get them out from under the seat, there is 4 bolts to tighten, and using the factory targa tools. It doesnt get any easier than this.

STATICPAGE: I could possible have BIC etched in by my laser cutter $$. Or we have some smaller decals we can put on them if you want.

Now for the price, I dont think that we could do $100 for them, at least not in stainless steel. We are aiming for a price between $120-149 including hardware and possibly even a pouch / bag to put them in when not in use.
    apparently people can't read.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast