• 7m-gte

The 7M-GTE was an ultra high-performance engine used by Toyota in the late 1980's and early 1990's. It is part of the series of Toyota M engines. In the US, only one Toyota ever featured this engine: the Toyota Supra. This engine was incredibly advanced for its time. The 7M-GTE was simply a turbo version of the 7M-GE and was offered only in the Supra.

The engine had a 3.0L 24-Valve DOHC Twin Cam setup which provided plenty of power for the Supra. The 7M-GTE is an Inline-6, or "straight 6" engine. Due to incorrect torque specifications from the factory, the head gaskets on both the 7M-GE and 7M-GTE engines are prone to failure. However, with proper replacement of the head gasket using a higher torque setting, these engines have been known to be extremely reliable.

The 7M-GE and 7M-GTE were both discontinued sometime after 1992 with the demise of the Cressida in North America.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 7m-gte started by Supracentral View original post
    Comments 45 Comments
      mk3concepts -
      no wonder those fuckers fail haha
      laotionracer101 -
      hmm mine seens to drive okay haha
      turbo87mk3 -
      mine runs like a top. it sounds good and has plenty of power. then agian its a "JDM" engine. and i really dont know if shes been retorqued or not.
      suprafreesme -
      my baby aint doing so good right now.
      89MK111 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mk3concepts View Post
      no wonder those fuckers fail haha
      bought mine....was just rebuilt, but the dumbass didn't install a mhg!!! So....here we go rebuilding the right way!
      Dirt Track Racer -
      I have a 7M-GE and mine runs like a champ
      TULLYTRAIN15 -
      no wonder why they burn so much oil lol
      whitemike -
      Why all the 7m shit talking?
      zomgsupra -
      7m-Love!
      SuprAz -
      Mine was great, died, now working on getting it back to Supra Speed!
      Supra7MG -
      I've had my MKIII for over 20 yrs. now with 0 issues.
      I did an HKS metal head gasket in 1992 and have always used Redline 10w40 oil changed very frequently.
      I love that car and the 7M
      YUNGPIE -
      mine isn't to good rite know
      miss_ali_j -
      I just bought an 88 with 112,000 miles thinking the head gasket was going to need replacing only to find that (surprise!) there was paperwork in the glove box showing a new metal head gasket was just installed. One less thing to stick money into...not bad for a $1500 car...
      Dani87x -
      Mine is about to be reborn, 7M can sure be a pain sometimes.
      matts87supra -
      i havent started on my 7mgte yet, i need to find some good prices on parts somewhere first. first time i drove it ever, 110 mph like nothing, with 170,00 and a leak on the turbo, i was impressed
      Linchmob87 -
      I bought my 7mgte JDM style and just put it in...it had a BHG. Metal HG installed with ARP studs. Ready to go now!
      sonic74 -
      Ya I blew my HG awhile ago. Have the car torn down completely. Gonna do a complete rebuild and mod on the 87 7MGTE. Anyone know of a machine shop that has a torque plate for the 7M in the Seattle area????
      timtiminy -
      Im looking for a machine shop that has a torque plate for the 7m in Southern California, Im thinking there has to be at least one...
      D3RR1N -
      just bought a 86.5 mk3 with a 7m in it. it has a valve tick but i'm thinkin of puttin the top cylinder head from another engine to fix the problem. or just 2jz this bizznach
      my7mgte527 -
      the engine in mine runs strong and im atarting to mod it out the only thing i didnt wo was change the head bolts o arp. i replaced the gasket with the hks gasket and she is running stronger then ever so im just waiting for my turbo kit and then time to go all out
    Links monetized by VigLink