• 7m-gte

The 7M-GTE was an ultra high-performance engine used by Toyota in the late 1980's and early 1990's. It is part of the series of Toyota M engines. In the US, only one Toyota ever featured this engine: the Toyota Supra. This engine was incredibly advanced for its time. The 7M-GTE was simply a turbo version of the 7M-GE and was offered only in the Supra.

The engine had a 3.0L 24-Valve DOHC Twin Cam setup which provided plenty of power for the Supra. The 7M-GTE is an Inline-6, or "straight 6" engine. Due to incorrect torque specifications from the factory, the head gaskets on both the 7M-GE and 7M-GTE engines are prone to failure. However, with proper replacement of the head gasket using a higher torque setting, these engines have been known to be extremely reliable.

The 7M-GE and 7M-GTE were both discontinued sometime after 1992 with the demise of the Cressida in North America.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 7m-gte started by Supracentral View original post
    Comments 45 Comments
      mk3concepts -
      no wonder those fuckers fail haha
      laotionracer101 -
      hmm mine seens to drive okay haha
      turbo87mk3 -
      mine runs like a top. it sounds good and has plenty of power. then agian its a "JDM" engine. and i really dont know if shes been retorqued or not.
      suprafreesme -
      my baby aint doing so good right now.
      89MK111 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mk3concepts View Post
      no wonder those fuckers fail haha
      bought mine....was just rebuilt, but the dumbass didn't install a mhg!!! So....here we go rebuilding the right way!
      Dirt Track Racer -
      I have a 7M-GE and mine runs like a champ
      TULLYTRAIN15 -
      no wonder why they burn so much oil lol
      whitemike -
      Why all the 7m shit talking?
      zomgsupra -
      7m-Love!
      SuprAz -
      Mine was great, died, now working on getting it back to Supra Speed!
      Supra7MG -
      I've had my MKIII for over 20 yrs. now with 0 issues.
      I did an HKS metal head gasket in 1992 and have always used Redline 10w40 oil changed very frequently.
      I love that car and the 7M
      YUNGPIE -
      mine isn't to good rite know
      miss_ali_j -
      I just bought an 88 with 112,000 miles thinking the head gasket was going to need replacing only to find that (surprise!) there was paperwork in the glove box showing a new metal head gasket was just installed. One less thing to stick money into...not bad for a $1500 car...
      Dani87x -
      Mine is about to be reborn, 7M can sure be a pain sometimes.
      matts87supra -
      i havent started on my 7mgte yet, i need to find some good prices on parts somewhere first. first time i drove it ever, 110 mph like nothing, with 170,00 and a leak on the turbo, i was impressed
      Linchmob87 -
      I bought my 7mgte JDM style and just put it in...it had a BHG. Metal HG installed with ARP studs. Ready to go now!
      sonic74 -
      Ya I blew my HG awhile ago. Have the car torn down completely. Gonna do a complete rebuild and mod on the 87 7MGTE. Anyone know of a machine shop that has a torque plate for the 7M in the Seattle area????
      timtiminy -
      Im looking for a machine shop that has a torque plate for the 7m in Southern California, Im thinking there has to be at least one...
      D3RR1N -
      just bought a 86.5 mk3 with a 7m in it. it has a valve tick but i'm thinkin of puttin the top cylinder head from another engine to fix the problem. or just 2jz this bizznach
      my7mgte527 -
      the engine in mine runs strong and im atarting to mod it out the only thing i didnt wo was change the head bolts o arp. i replaced the gasket with the hks gasket and she is running stronger then ever so im just waiting for my turbo kit and then time to go all out
  • Supramania Member Deals

Links monetized by VigLink