PDA

View Full Version : egr gasket at the back of the head

sogi99
January 29th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Any of you guys change this gasket with the head attach to the block? Or, do I need to pull the head again, my mistake of not changing while the head was out. I appreciate you guys input in this matter.

Fozbo
January 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I bet you could do it with the head in the car. I vaguely remember doing something with it a while back with the engine still intact.

sogi99
January 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM
thanks fozbo at least you have some idea its feasible I would really hate to pull the head again just for that.

3p141592654
January 29th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Schedule some back therapy time if you do this job with the head on, but it is possible.

ilikebigbutts
January 29th, 2008, 07:58 PM
haha egr cooler gasket...

It IS possible, kind of a pain but i made up a tool that makes the job WAY easier...

because i couldnt fit my liltle snap-on 1/4" drive ratchet (trust me its little) with a shallow 10mm between the head and the firewall, i simply took an old crafstman 1/4" drive 10mm socket and a short bolt (i think it was 13mm) and i pressed the bolt into the drive of the socket.now all you have to to is put the socket on the bolt and use a wrench, which will fit, to remove the bolts...the tricky part is finding a bolt short enough and fat enough to fit into the drive snugly and not come loose...i used a vice to press the bolt into the socket.i can maybe find it and take a picture but i doubt i will find it ...

cleaning the gasket area is a bitch to...but be patient with this...

ms07s
January 29th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Its a very tight fit... There is a snapon wrachet that makes the job easier but it aint cheep.

cuel
January 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Take the trans mount loose from the cross member, and jack the back of the trans. up. It'll give you a little more room between the head and firewall.

Nomad707
January 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
use A 3 inch extension.. i did mine on the head.. its kind of a pain.. but its possible.. this is truely one of the most annoying things to do on the supra.

jetjock
January 29th, 2008, 09:12 PM
It can be done. I used the same method as ilikebigbutts. The difference in my case was buying a set of 3 wrench/socket adapters for something like 6 bux. Handy tools they are.

Throw something over the top of the engine so you can lay on it...

GrimJack
January 29th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Agreed, I did mine in the car once as well. I bought an extra special very flat ratchet drive for the job, cost me ~$65 as I recall, but it was worth it.

sogi99
January 29th, 2008, 11:34 PM
thanks for all the reply at least i know its been done I will try to decipher which combo or trick is the easiest I order the gasket today through toyota it should be here by thursday or friday.

MmmBoost
January 29th, 2008, 11:56 PM
yeah, i did mine too... forgot to install the whole egr cooler assembly and didnt realize it until i started it up the first time.

gearwrench go-thru ratchet set ftmfw :) http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4007

thelonerider
January 30th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I also had to replace mine once, and the tip given to was the following:

-Remove the valve covers.
-Raise the front of the car and place on stands.
-Put a jack under the center engine cross member and loosen the 4 polts and 2 nuts (or something like that) from the member and drop it to its max (suspension and stearing components reach their full extension)
-Put a board across top of engine and lay on it as you work on the EGR cooler.

You should be able to get at the bolts with conventional tools now.
BTW, put some light locknut on the bolts when you put them back to prevent then from getting loose and causing a leak.

selfinfliction
January 30th, 2008, 11:54 AM
yeah, i did mine too... forgot to install the whole egr cooler assembly and didnt realize it until i started it up the first time.

gearwrench go-thru ratchet set ftmfw :) http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4007

that's a good price

sogi99
January 30th, 2008, 12:19 PM
thanks for the tip. thelonerider your method will be my last resort if this doesn't pan out just doing without dropping the crossmember I will try to unbolt the cross member from transmission and jack the tranny to tilt forward will see thanks for all your help guys will probably tackle this today after I get off work

GrimJack
January 30th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I have a set of those too, they've been very useful in a bunch of places.

Scot
January 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM
If I recall correctly. I removed the egr completely.... And it still passes inspection... How many people have their removed?

pogoism9
January 30th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Take the trans mount loose from the cross member, and jack the back of the trans. up. It'll give you a little more room between the head and firewall.

Took the words out of my mouth

GrimJack
January 30th, 2008, 03:12 PM
If I recall correctly. I removed the egr completely.... And it still passes inspection... How many people have their removed?Doesn't pass here... there's no visual, but you won't pass the dyno check without it.

bryanintexas
February 8th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Doesn't pass here... there's no visual, but you won't pass the dyno check without it.

I can attest to that.

"scott" - how did you get it to pass the dyno w/o it in Harris county?!?:aigo:

buldozr
February 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I can attest to that.

"scott" - how did you get it to pass the dyno w/o it in Harris county?!?:aigo:

yeah really, put that egr valve and cat(s) back on, I am from dallas and I can smell houston from here!

(j/k, i dont run a cat, im just a hippi trying to stur the pot)

Piggity
February 8th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I'm taking mine off on the new engine. Seems to be a source of BHG on turboed engines, aswell as the N/A's if you're driving hard enough. The turbo recirculates the exhaust gases anyway.

jetjock
February 8th, 2008, 07:09 PM
^ Really? Damn, I learn something new every day...

MassSupra89
February 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I'm taking mine off on the new engine. Seems to be a source of BHG on turboed engines, aswell as the N/A's if you're driving hard enough. The turbo recirculates the exhaust gases anyway.

That's why I BHG'd and what that blower thing is for? Darned.

jdub
February 8th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah...no effect whatsoever on EGT, detonation, or emissions...especially since the turbo recirculates the exhaust gas.

LOL

:biglaugh:

Piggity
February 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM
No emmisions here in this province, so straight 3" with no egr and maybe a dumpipe for the wastegate (who am I kidding, I want to hear right in another 10 years).

7MsuprO
February 8th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I didnt think it was as much of a big deal as some say. Only things i took off were the valve covers. I then, used a 1/4" breaker and a cheap 10mm socket i bought specifically to grind down to about half of its original length to allow the breaker with it on it to fit between the head and the firewall. After that it was a combination of this tool and the "finger" wrench to get the bolts started that did it but I have really long skinny fingers (lol) so that might have helped. I accessed all the bolts from the passenger side of the car without taking off any of the other EGR equipment except the cooler. Just another option for you.

bryanintexas
February 17th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Any of you guys change this gasket with the head attach to the block? Or, do I need to pull the head again, my mistake of not changing while the head was out. I appreciate you guys input in this matter.

I just pulled mine off today. I jacked up the ass end of the car, unbolted the tranny mount, lifted the transmission slightly (gave me about 1/2' more room) and went to work. I used a flexhead 10mm Gearwrench ratcheting wrench, and a 10mm Gearwrench socket (it snaps into your Gearwrench wrench to make it a ratchet) that was nice and shallow, and TA-DA! 20 minutes and some patience and I was done. No removing of the coolant hoses or valve covers. I do however have the upper intake off for another reason, so that helped. As well as my harness out (swapping in a new one).