PDA

View Full Version : Oil change

Nomad707
January 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I was wondering... the stock oil change amount without a filter change is 4.1 qts. Can i safely add 5 quarts? i remember hearing about overfilling by one quart but i want to be positive before i do it.

Thanks.

(yes i searched)

Yellow 13
January 24th, 2008, 07:27 PM
You can.

BlackMKIII
January 24th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I always run 5 quarts, 7M and 1JZ.

suprarx7nut
January 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Why no filter change?

Nomad707
January 24th, 2008, 10:24 PM
good point.... ill be changing the filter as well.

MassSupra89
January 24th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I use 6 qts with a filter.

Ma70.Ent
January 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM
A lot of people like the +1 over stock qt number. I run the stock number right now but after I change my oil when it's time, I'm definitely gonna go and do that :D

Also I always change the oil filter when I change oil.

BlackMKIII
January 24th, 2008, 10:40 PM
^ I thought that was a given. That's why it's called an LOF (lube, oil, and filter)

Ma70.Ent
January 24th, 2008, 10:42 PM
^ I thought that was a given. That's why it's called an LOF (lube, oil, and filter)

Me too, but you never know who will forget that type of stuff. It's the same people who don't check their oil levels. :nono:

BlackMKIII
January 24th, 2008, 10:44 PM
:wavey: That was me, once. Back when I had my Altima.

mk3_supra
January 24th, 2008, 11:04 PM
why run +1qt of oil?
wouldn't the crank foam/spash up
all the extra oil= bad?

MassSupra89
January 24th, 2008, 11:44 PM

The owners manual calls for an oil change every 5,000miles, and oil and filter every 10,000mi.

why run +1qt of oil?
wouldn't the crank foam/spash up
all the extra oil= bad?

Oil sways from side to side during hard cornering and can uncover the oil pickup from being fully submerged. iirc 6qt's doesn't touch the crank, the pan is deep enough.

suprarx7nut
January 25th, 2008, 12:00 AM
The 7M oil pan is PLENTY big enough to hold an extra quart and not put oil in contact with the crank. If you drive conservatively and don't corner hard and keep a good eye on you level I don't think adding an extra quart would really benefit you.

...But why not? It lessens the chances of you running dry for that split second before the awful sounds of rod knock...

MassSupra89
January 25th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Not to mention most of these engines have 100k+ miles on them, and burn/leak oil. If you're the type that doesnt make it a habit to check the oil periodically it's not going to hurt to run an extra qt for insurance.

Figit090
January 25th, 2008, 02:18 AM
i run about a quart over.

mk3_supra
January 25th, 2008, 02:33 AM
good to know

Nomad707
January 25th, 2008, 10:19 AM
going 1 over has probly saved many people, many times... from HUGE headaches.

ValgeKotkas
January 25th, 2008, 10:53 AM
No overpressures caused? I guess not...

st2b
January 25th, 2008, 02:09 PM
My engine seemed to run smoother when I switched my wal-mart filter to a WIX (I bought it with the filter, haven't had the car long). Also added 5 quarts total (With filter) and it actually seems to run better. I mean smoother to say. I might be wrong but I heard in some cases it's worse to overfill due to the pressure you're putting on your pump, and possibly could lead to a burnt oil pump?

This is off the top of my head, but it made my GE run so much smoother.

gtsfirefighter
January 25th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I put six quarts in mine because of it being a fresh overhaul and the oil cooler and lines being empty.

ill Z
January 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Okay so here is a good question, how long has everyone been running +1 quart? Or 6 quarts total? Months, years? Any one that can disprove the theory of long term effects by over filling? As many have said, the stock oil pan is deep enough, however, it's always nice to hear from experience.

Rennat
January 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I run either 6qts or 7 qts but thats because i have the oil filter relocation, and an oil cooler. I've had no problem what so ever...

and i do corner hard and drive fast, so i want that insurance when i do so.

Nick M
January 26th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Why don't you prove that running 4 quarts is better than 6?

The owners manual in later years calls for 5 quarts with a filter. That is called an update, and usually acompanied by a Technical Service Bulletin(TSB), which the manufacturers deliver to the dealers.

One the worst automotive myths ever is that it is better to run the engine a little lower on oil that a little over. Somebody probaly put a few gallons of oil in something, watched it run out, and ran with it from there.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23917 follow the service schedule.

CyFi6
January 26th, 2008, 02:14 AM
all cars are different. Some can stand to have extra oil in it and some arent very tolerant of more oil. The owners manual in every car i have seen has said to put the oil somewhere between the low and the full mark, doesnt have to be on full, let alone over. Many on here say its fine to fill over because of the size of the pan, saying there is proof, i kind of take their word on it as i havent actually seen any proof, if there are pics with measurements and such id love to see them.

ValgeKotkas
January 26th, 2008, 02:49 AM
^Gotta get IJ here for those measurements :D

Nick M
January 26th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Yes, the oil goes between the two marks. I endorse owners manuals, but recognize they are made for the masses.

ValgeKotkas
January 26th, 2008, 03:00 AM
^So you think a bit over the F mark of dipstick is good? I remember IJ saying that.

Nick M
January 26th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I don't think being a bit over the full mark matters at all. As soon as you start the car, the level in the pan drops to fill the system anyway.

AJ'S 88NA
January 26th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Yep almost a quart, check it right after you turn it off and see how much is up in the motor.

jetjock
January 26th, 2008, 08:47 AM
These day I run 6. It's actually 5 because my bypass filter sucks up one quart. With it like that the level is on the full mark with the engine freshly shut off and where the wire begins when it's cold. That said I ran exactly what the owner's manual states (4.2 quarts) for 17 years and never had a problem.

cuel
January 27th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I run 6 qts. as well. The filter should hold the extra qt. once the motor is running.
On some motors this can be a bad thing, as the crank will hit the oil, and aerate it, or cause tiny air bubbles(you'll see it on the dip stick). This can be kinda hard on the motor, if the oil is getting pumped that way. That is what the "myth" about running a little under the full mark is about. This becomes very apparent with long stroke motors and shallow oil pans.