Partout, or sell whole?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Those of you that had a lot invested and have been through the process what did you choose to do and how did it work out for you in the end?

Lets say for example you had a reasonable condition 89T with a freshly rebuilt 400+hp 7M and some pretty nice supporting parts and it was all together and running. Would you try to sell it whole and get what you can for it all in one shot? OR would you rather make more overall parting it out, but have to deal with all the parts and shipping and all that crap?

Mostly interested in hearing from those that have gone one way or another on this.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
If you're willing to take your time to disassemble it for a customer and shipping like you said... Probably come out ahead in the long run over time.

I'd just sell it as a whole close that chapter out. Sorry to hear about you losing the Supra though :(

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
didnt say I was, just looking at all options.
Oh, and I know parting it out would bring more money in the long run. I just wondered if people found it to be worth it in the end. I guess it would depend on what the car would sell for whole. Anyone know what some of the better 7m Supras have been selling for? I mean can someone expect to get 5 or maybe 6k out of one? I havent really been watching the for sale ads lately.

Last edited:

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
we need to get you away from Dan..... keep it man or sell it whole. its alot harder to part a car out emotionally even though ya may make more money over all

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Part out or sell whole....

Depends how fast you want to get rid of the car/all the parts, how much of a hit you're willing to take if you sell it whole, how long you're willing to wait for the right buyer to buy such a car, if you really want to deal with disassembling the car and mailing the parts. I'm sure I missed some things but you see what I'm getting at.

Up to you.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Take it from me Pete.............I've parted 10 or more. As time has gone on, Prices have dropped, and demand has diminished. I used to be able to sell the dirt off a Supra, and absolutely every part I could take off. Now, only selected parts will sell at all, and you have to take anything you can get for stuff. Upgrade parts will always sell though, so you would have an advantage there. Trust me, parting one is a full time job. You have to look at the time it takes to pull parts, take pictures and load them, spend time listing and managing your threads, packing parts, and shipping. And I haven't even mentioned any headaches yet. Finding boxes for all of the 26" or longer parts is fun. And then you get the buyers who want a tracking number 2 hours after they make the payment that they promised last week. Or the folks that will want to know if your $5 part is "the shipped price" (Remil12). Hell you can't ship a 1 pound box for $5 in most cases.

If I were you, I'd KEEP THE DAMN CAR, but Seriously, Sell it Whole. 89-92's definitely bring better money, but the 89 is on the low end of that. Jawsgear and RTA both have their cars for sale right now and they I believe (don't hold me to this) they are both between $5000 and 6000. Lucy, to me seems to be a nicer car than both, but both are very nice. I was offered $8000 for my grey car before I wrecked it. The prices that our cars are getting has been on the incline. $10,000 for an MKIII is no longer unheard of.

NOw, IF you do part it, please PM me immediately, as I am just starting to buy many of the parts that you have. I'd definitely be interested in some parts. DON'T PART THAT CAR!!!!!!! On the other hand, go check out Oneandgone's part out from a while back, or Malloynx's part out. I know they both did pretty well with upgraded cars.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
You know, I know the mod for the FS sections, and HE says that if hes sees you selling your car or parting it out he's gunna have to delete those threads, because something about a subsect in the rules stating WeezL/Pete cant sell his personal car here or part it out or something wierd like that... Its in the rules, go look for it, yeah, its there, somewhere... Use a magnafying glass, you'll see it, its in really, REALLY small fine print... :D:D:D

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
What I always found to be the problem was; what to do with all the stuff and the roller after everything wanted was sold. Most went in the trash or junk yard. I would try to sell it as a whole first and save the part out as a last resort.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Well lets see how do I respond to those posts...

first of all there is nothing sentimental left to this car for me. I was sorry the day I bought it. That feeling has hardly ever gone away. Ive put a shitload of money and time into this thing and it will be a shame not to take advantage of that for at least some period of time. But in the end its still just another car to me.

Im not set on selling my car OR parting it. I was really trying to get to the information that I think FT covered so well. I did part out a supra a while back so Im kinda familiar with the goods and bads of that. I was NOT aware that whole Supras were getting any kind of value. No, my car isnt stock anymore, and I have some nice parts that I could definately pull in some decent bucks for.

Rich hit on the final problem and one I experienced with my last part out. What to do with the remnants. I finally had to GIVE my shell away.

I am just not sure I can afford to keep this car, and if I decide I cant, I was looking for a little advice on the best way to dispose of it. Sounds to me like looking for the right buyer to take it whole would be best for me.

thanks for the help.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Reign_Maker said:
Will you stay in the community Pete?

If I get rid of the supra, and dont end up with another...its hard to say.
I can see a 1JZ powered 1st gen celica in my driveway...if I had a driveway.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Well the "Mentor for hire" as he called himself, who responded to a post I made over on SF....complete no show. We made at least 2 appointments for days he said he could come help...guess who put the bottom end together all by himself? LOL

Dan came by and drove my ass all the way to Champion toyota and back. Steven drove me around one day to get parts....and thats the extent of the help Ive had.

Dont get me wrong, Im not looking for any hand outs or anything. But Tim can attest to how I am when someone needs my help...

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Thanks Ian, I believe you would be a man of your word on that as well.

but yeah, this thread wasnt supposed to be about this topic. I was mearly trying to find out what seemed like the best way to cash out of this project. I'll keep the personal feelings and other stuff to my build thread.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Pete: Yep a bit isolated down here but I enjoy helping out friends when I can.

If you aren't in a rush you'll make more parting it but as you already know you end up with an immobile turd as left overs....

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
What do you have left to do to get it up and running? Due to school and work this semester, I can't offer much help until about summer since it's a bit of a drive to get down to you from me. I'll ask to see if a couple of the HTC guys can help. Most of'em will work for beer. :p I know one was in the process of doing the 5-spd swap on his MK3, but that was last year when I last talked to him. Don't know if he's gotten it done yet.

-Alex

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
theWeezL said:
If I get rid of the supra, and dont end up with another...its hard to say.
I can see a 1JZ powered 1st gen celica in my driveway...if I had a driveway.

Why would you get this car like you want it..........Have a very nice car........and then sell it to start over????? Aren't you a little tired of the build process?

I too have long time dreams that involve a first gen Celica. But I won't blasphem myself until it's reality.

IJ. said:
Pete: Yep a bit isolated down here but I enjoy helping out friends when I can.

Ian, You have helped MORE than you could even imagine. (Let's NOT ALL chime in, it'd be a tremendous threadjack)

Got Boost? said:
I know one was in the process of doing the 5-spd swap on his MK3, but that was last year when I last talked to him. Don't know if he's gotten it done yet.

-Alex

Damn! I hope so!