slight hissing

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
While having my car on and it idling, I noticed a hissing that sounds like it is coming from the rear of the engine. I don't think it is normal, maybe a possible heater hose leak?

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
Could be the heater control valve. It's located on the rear passenger side of the engine compartment. Could be hooked up incorrectly or broken. Does your heat work? All I could think of without anything more specific.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
67rstbkt;1039982 said:
Could be the heater control valve. It's located on the rear passenger side of the engine compartment. Could be hooked up incorrectly or broken. Does your heat work? All I could think of without anything more specific.

Now that you bring this up, it brings me to a problem i have. I dont mean to hijack but it seems similar. Whenever the heater control is set to anything other than 65 degrees, the sound goes away. It more of a crackle/hissing sound that comes directly from the heater control valve. It only makes the noise when the car is running. Any ideas? Everything it plugged in correctly and the valve functions just fine.

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
CyFi6;1040022 said:
Now that you bring this up, it brings me to a problem i have. I dont mean to hijack but it seems similar. Whenever the heater control is set to anything other than 65 degrees, the sound goes away. It more of a crackle/hissing sound that comes directly from the heater control valve. It only makes the noise when the car is running. Any ideas? Everything it plugged in correctly and the valve functions just fine.

Not sure, maybe it's starting to malfunction. My only experience with the hissing noise and the valve happened when the valve stopped working. I have not replaced it yet.

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
67rstbkt;1039982 said:

I haven't even thought about turning the heat on, considering it being June in Texas. But I will try and let you know. And yes, it does idle kind of rough. It also jerks a little when accelerating and coasting, The idle often acts like it sticks, I have it to where it idles around 1k but after tapping the gas it will, like normal, rev up a little then drop back down, but sometimes it will stop around 1500 to 2k. Which probably means a vacuum leak, right...?

timothyphicks02

Nov 13, 2007
florida
I have this very problem. its not a steady his but broken up. comming from the rear under side of the engine. I thought it may be an intake mani leak. If anyone find the cause of this pm me pls.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
You need to find a shop with a smoke machine, and smoke the vacuum system. It's a great way of finding leaks.