microwaveable science project - good idea?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
hey guys,

found a site that said if you wanted to blow up a microwave, put a can of spray paint in it and turn the microwave on.

so me and a few friends bought two old microwaves from goodwill and some starting fluid.

anyone ever done this before? any advice, safety precautions? its gonna take place in a field at the end of some loooong extension cords.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
since watching the videos, i feel a tad better about this. we've got microwaves that you can twist the dial and it will turn on when plugged in (thank god). that way, we're just gonna flip a switch on a power strip and watch it blow.

total is 7 cans of fluid. we're gonna try one can in the first microwave and see how it does. if its too big, we call it quits. if not, we pack six into the next microwave and fill the airspace around the cans with pyrodex.

1jzdreamer

Dec 3, 2006
Arkansas
um... scratch the pyrodex, that takes already stupid but really cool to really really stupid and really dangerous
EDIT: sorry i misread it... i thought you meant you were gonna like pitch a tent and fill that with pyrodex around it... but still with 6 cans you better stay pretty far back
have fun

Last edited:

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
1jzdreamer said:
um... scratch the pyrodex, that takes already stupid but really cool to really really stupid and really dangerous
EDIT: sorry i misread it... i thought you meant you were gonna like pitch a tent and fill that with pyrodex around it... but still with 6 cans you better stay pretty far back
have fun

you can bet your ct-26 ima be hauling my ass, even at the end of 300' of extension cords. ill let the camera catch it and watch it all later.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
woulda gone today, but we're getting torrential downpours here. in addition, we need to find a generator, or 2000 feet of extension cord. we're opting for the generator.

might be tomorrow, but you guys are def gonna see the vid.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
I'm no scientist but are 6 cans of spraypaint really gonna require nearly a 1/2 mile of clearance?

And yeah, wait til the rains up, we wanna see the full effect:evil2: