WTF IS TOYOTA DOING?!?!?

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
I was reading Road and Track magazine and there is a feature on the 2021 Supra, and as if they couldnt make the Supra name any more watered down they will now off it in a 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo making 255bhp...
WTF why not just make a Celica and leave the Supra inline 6 TURBO. Grrr

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The A80 N/A supra was 223hp. So I don't see why a 255hp Supra is so bad. Also, if it sells more cars then as far as I am concerned that's a good thing. It will motivate Toyota to keep investing in the platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: sinistar_xx

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I was reading Road and Track magazine and there is a feature on the 2021 Supra, and as if they couldnt make the Supra name any more watered down they will now off it in a 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo making 255bhp...
WTF why not just make a Celica and leave the Supra inline 6 TURBO. Grrr
Kinda like how they offered the previous generations in a low and high powered variety, right? Just happens to be a 4 cyl turbo instead of an inline 6.

I think it's fine/good. It's not a "pure" Supra, so whatever builds a good aftermarket and customer base is a good thing. If they sell a ton, they might be motivated to actually design and build it as a Toyota on the next gen. Wishful thinking, I know.

Reactions: tylerjacobsen85

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Still, 4 cylinders??? The one thing they nailed was keeping the roots of inline 6. I dont know, imo why water down the product? The price point is $1000 difference too, im sure that wont be the case after dealer mark ups.
The A80 looks great though, I will give it that.
Idk this probably rubs me wrong the same way as the Camaro 2.0t and the ecoboost Mustang, if you want a sports car dont skimp out on a watered down version.. just cough up the dough and get the real deal

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
so I see your point of if your going with a sports car why not go all out, makes total since. But we must also consider the eco-friendly gas saver generation that would like to get their hands on a sports car but "HELP THE ENVIRONMENT" while doing so. I know a good rebuttal would be get a tesla, but why go with complete unreliability tesla when you can have a somewhat reliable bmw 4 cylinder.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
As the supra has evolved through the generations you can complain all sorts of changes were made. The A60 had a decent back seat and every model since barely even a child can fit back there, etc etc. These days a blown 4 gives decent power, so why not make it an option. You can always buy the 6 if that's your thing, they're not denying you that option. My Tesla has been completely reliable by the way. I don't know why people think otherwise.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Agree on the Tesla.
They do admittingly have some growing pains as far as asthetic issues and build quality.
But that is completely overshadowed by the engineering and design behind them.
They are incredible as far as engineering goes, I've never seen anything like them before.
Seriously impressive what they have done.

This is coming from my background in vehicle testing/benchmarking/reverse engineering.
I've tested both the Model 3 and Model S.

They are 2-3 years ahead of all the other automakers, it's incredible the shakeup they are causing in the market.
Forcing everyone else to play catch-up.
(Engineering/ electrical control/ batteries/ powernet/ software/ motors/ efficiency)

As far as Toyota goes, who knows.
LOL, maybe in the future they will come out with their own design again.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
Still, 4 cylinders??? The one thing they nailed was keeping the roots of inline 6. I dont know, imo why water down the product? The price point is $1000 difference too, im sure that wont be the case after dealer mark ups.
The A80 looks great though, I will give it that.
Idk this probably rubs me wrong the same way as the Camaro 2.0t and the ecoboost Mustang, if you want a sports car dont skimp out on a watered down version.. just cough up the dough and get the real deal
Im pretty sure people were running 10s with the eco boost mustung without a ton of mods. I suspect people will be quick to crank up the boost on the new 4 cylinder supra. Wasn't the top secret wide body supra a 3SGTE 4 Cylinder?

If I was a supra owner though I'd be annoyed if I purchased a 2020 6cyl after the 2021 version got a new exhaust port design and different pistons which lowered the compression ratio from 11.0:1 to 10.2:1.

Reactions: Z06gette

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
As the supra has evolved through the generations you can complain all sorts of changes were made. The A60 had a decent back seat and every model since barely even a child can fit back there, etc etc. These days a blown 4 gives decent power, so why not make it an option. You can always buy the 6 if that's your thing, they're not denying you that option. My Tesla has been completely reliable by the way. I don't know why people think otherwise.
No harm meant on the tesla owners. Ive just heard from a few of them that they have lots of issues. I personally have never driven one so I shouldn't really speak much about them. I guess it goes don't speak on what you dont know.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
What I love is the price point. The 4 cylinder GR Supra at its current price is competing with the Mustang GT and other cars with 100+ more hp. And Nissan is coming out with their 400Z, which according to all the rumors will be similar priced, and it will have a twin turbo v6 with 400hp.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
I know ecoboost Mustangs can make some good power, but for short periods of time. The 2.3L ecoboost has issues with its floating cylinder design, theres no overcoming that imo. Even then those guys are dumping so much money into them to get a 10 second car when if you get a GT a tune it with BPU's and get close to 9's, add F.I. and theyre in the 8's with bolt on SC kits. Idk to each their own, I'm not a fan of the "diet" versions of sports cars. At the same time though we all know in order to offer the real McCoys they have to keep the overall averape MPG for the brand at a certain point.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Im pretty sure people were running 10s with the eco boost mustung without a ton of mods. I suspect people will be quick to crank up the boost on the new 4 cylinder supra. Wasn't the top secret wide body supra a 3SGTE 4 Cylinder?

If I was a supra owner though I'd be annoyed if I purchased a 2020 6cyl after the 2021 version got a new exhaust port design and different pistons which lowered the compression ratio from 11.0:1 to 10.2:1.

With Direct injection, compression ratio is a moot point as they can inject at anytime during the compression cycle right up to ms before tdc.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
I know ecoboost Mustangs can make some good power, but for short periods of time. The 2.3L ecoboost has issues with its floating cylinder design, theres no overcoming that imo. Even then those guys are dumping so much money into them to get a 10 second car when if you get a GT a tune it with BPU's and get close to 9's, add F.I. and theyre in the 8's with bolt on SC kits. Idk to each their own, I'm not a fan of the "diet" versions of sports cars. At the same time though we all know in order to offer the real McCoys they have to keep the overall averape MPG for the brand at a certain point.
I completely agree as far as comparing the NA 6cyl mustang vs the V8 but i think the turbo version adds a new dynamic.