Wiring Harness Terminals

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller
Does anybody know where to buy replacement open barrel terminals for our wiring harness? As far as I can tell, the connectors on our harness are manufactured by sumitomo...I've found their website, but it seems to cater more towards the automotive OEM than the DIY guy.

here is the catalogue:
http://www.sws.co.jp/en/product/connector/pdf/wp_mt.pdf

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Try checking with figgie. If anyone knows, I'm willing to bet that he would. He's a wiring nut.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I think that Tyco (old AMP) has a direct replacement for the summitomo's in their SuperSeal 1.5 Series. I'll have to verify that....

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller
Figgie, I assume the Sumitomo MT series is equivalent to the majority of our wiring harness? (looking through that catalogue i posted, many of the connectors look like those on our engine harness)

I've found a site that sells quite a few varieties of the sumitomo terminals, although they do not have the male terminals listed for the MT series. I may have to send them off an email... http://www.automotivewiringsystems.com/4-40-products.htm

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
well Summitomo is Japanese so it will not surprise me one bit that they do spply to Honda, Toyota, Mazda etc. Thankfully the Auto industry has gotten thier stuff together with exchanging parts with similiar from competitors.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
adam

they even carry the junction blocks connectors and pin set.... ;)

Looks like they are from Japan too.

Last edited:

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller
Yeah, this site has pretty much every single terminal/connector I was looking for. Nice to see they have the H4 headlight connector as well...as they are no longer available from toyota.

supraguru05

Offical Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamics
SM Expert
Authorized Seller
Contributor
out of curiosity this is kinda related along these lines, can the factory ecu plugs be re pinned ie the 3 large connectors that feed into the ecu.

Quin

Trans killer
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I would think the ECU connectors are soldered straight onto the PCB inside the ECU so you would probably need to use a soldering iron and pull the old pin out of the board but it shouldn't be too much trouble.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
out of curiosity this is kinda related along these lines, can the factory ecu plugs be re pinned ie the 3 large connectors that feed into the ecu.
Be more specific. Depending on how you read your post, you could be talking about either the wiring harness side, or the ECU side.

supraguru05

Offical Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamics
SM Expert
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Be more specific. Depending on how you read your post, you could be talking about either the wiring harness side, or the ECU side.
i appologize i am asking about the wiring harness side. namely due to a botched knock sensor rewire a couple years ago i would love to run fresh wire using the kit i purchased from you a little bit ago, since the place where i spliced into the factory harness a long time ago is really close to the connector leaving me almost no room to work.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Yeah, this site has pretty much every single terminal/connector I was looking for. Nice to see they have the H4 headlight connector as well...as they are no longer available from toyota.
Maybe not the exact ones that came on the MK3 aren't, but Toyota still uses H4 bulbs, just get the connector for one of them, maybe?

Jeff

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller
Fuck yeah, mailman arrived today...

My crimper and I are going to have some fun!

wow I'm a nerd.

dreamweaver13

Authorized Seller
Adam,

Looks like you bought the 4 terminal MT connector. I was looking to buy the same part, but I couldn't verify if it was interchangeable with the stock connectors.

For example. I need to replace the harness-side connector at the CPS (green 4 terminal). From the pictures, it doesn't look like the MT or HM connectors are interchangeable. If I have to replace both sides of the connector, I may as well buy something more local.

thanks
Jordan

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller
Adam,

Looks like you bought the 4 terminal MT connector. I was looking to buy the same part, but I couldn't verify if it was interchangeable with the stock connectors.

For example. I need to replace the harness-side connector at the CPS (green 4 terminal). From the pictures, it doesn't look like the MT or HM connectors are interchangeable. If I have to replace both sides of the connector, I may as well buy something more local.

thanks
Jordan
the connectors themselves are not interchangable, but the pins are exactly the same. You can de-pin and install a new plug pretty easily. I did this for my fuel injectors to avoid chopping up my harness.

edit: I've got 3 old wiring harnesses kicking around and could probably de-pin one of the connectors you are looking for and send it to you...pm me if you want.

Last edited:

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Yep, i vote for a tech section sticky as well, these sorts of parts will become more necessary as Toyota discontinues more and more of their old parts.

Incidentally - figgie, any idea what awg or swg gauge wire is used in the harness, and where can you source it?

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Kai,

the OEM harness?

They are using lots of 18-16 guage.

16 guage for the higher amperage runs.

18 for the normal.

have to check what wire is called as it is PVC based. That much I remember.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Everything you ever wanted to know (and then some) about the wiring and color coding scheme Toyota uses is in the Body Electrical Manual. Publication# STI1018E. There's so much there I'd need specifics in order to answer questions but figgie is correct in that most of it is insulated with one form or another of polyvinyl chloride. And not to be picky but the gauge is standard metric, not AWG. No surprise since the "A" in AWG stands for, well, you know...

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Authorized Seller
Good find!

Any chance you could point me to the connector hoods and terminals for the 7MGTE igniter? I need the igniter side, not the engine harness side.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller
probably easiest to source the connector from a parts car/junk yard. The required terminals are those offerred on the eastern beaver page (sealed MT). These are the exact terminals used in the majority of plugs on our wiring harness.

If you wanted, you could just use two of the 4-pin connectors and de-pin the harness side plugs and pop the pins into the new connector.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Authorized Seller
Hmm, actually you have a good point that I should have thought of. I need only the terminals and can reuse the connector from another igniter. I want this mod to be plug compatible with a stock igniter so if it fails I can plug a spare igniter in and change the ignition back to multiplexed. New terminals prevents destroying a working igniter and introducing a lot of splices.

Thanks.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller
Hmm, actually you have a good point that I should have thought of. I need only the terminals and can reuse the connector from another igniter. I want this mod to be plug compatible with a stock igniter so if it fails I can plug a spare igniter in and change the ignition back to multiplexed. New terminals prevents destroying a working igniter and introducing a lot of splices.

Thanks.
no problem...i did the same thing with my fuel injectors and coil pack wiring to avoid hacking up a brand new harness so I understand where you are coming from.

GC89

BoostRodeo
Authorized Seller
Contributor
the connectors themselves are not interchangable, but the pins are exactly the same. You can de-pin and install a new plug pretty easily. I did this for my fuel injectors to avoid chopping up my harness.

edit: I've got 3 old wiring harnesses kicking around and could probably de-pin one of the connectors you are looking for and send it to you...pm me if you want.
So these arent the same as the factory plugs? I was hoping the 4 pin was identical to the factory cps and coil pack plugs. So does Sumitoto still make the plugs from our harness at all, or just similar ones?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller
So these arent the same as the factory plugs? I was hoping the 4 pin was identical to the factory cps and coil pack plugs. So does Sumitoto still make the plugs from our harness at all, or just similar ones?
correct, they are not interchangable. The original series connectors are discontinued, but they likely still make compatible connectors. Good luck finding them one-off though. Sumitomo's site really only caters to the OEMs. Dealers may still carry them though.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Looking for a few more connectors - need a source for 90980-10591 - the CPS and Coil pack connectors.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
I should be able to get those for you Kai, let me know and I'll get them on order.

Jeff

snyder250

Authorized Seller
Is the a place that sells new complete wiring harness? I called my local toyota dealer and he said the no longer can get it. its a 87 7mgte with aut transmisson+TEMS.Any ideas?

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Authorized Seller
i want to make a diag sst. which male terminal pin do i need? will the ht/mt pins fit our diag connector?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller
Are you going for a two-pin jumper (i.e. for the check engine light) or something that plugs into each female pin? If going for the former, a paperclip has always worked for me.

With that said, I can check compatability next time I'm around my stash of spare parts.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Bumping this up to ask another question-

Are the .090 pins what I'll need for making an adapter harness at the ECU end? Anyone know what size pins those are? Just trying to think/plan ahead for 7M->Pickup swap so I don't have to cut my truck harness, or my Supra engine harness apart.

.090 Terminals Link

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Authorized Seller

Are the .090 pins what I'll need for making an adapter harness at the ECU end? Anyone know what size pins those are? Just trying to think/plan ahead for 7M->Pickup swap so I don't have to cut my truck harness, or my Supra engine harness apart.

.090 Terminals Link
I just placed an order elsewhere for a couple of different contacts. If either fit I'll let you know the p/n. As I have a 92T these will fit the later mk3 harness.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller

.090 Terminals Link
no, i believe the harness end terminals are made by AMP. they should be the same terminals that are sold for the 12-pin AEM plug (i think HPF has them)