Window Mouldings

majestic47

Authorized Seller
So, I have the top windshield piece, and all hatch mouldings on order, along with all of the clips for those pieces.. The quarter rear windows and drip mouldings above the doors are peeling, and the only option I can see is to repair them.

My best guess on the quarter rear windows is to carefully cut off the peeling rubber/plastic with a razor blade while the mouldings are still on the car, and then prime and spray with trim and bumper paint. Any better ideas?

For the drip mouldings, my best idea is removing them from the car, removing the rubber, and wrapping them in black vinyl. I'm worried about warping the pieces when I heatgun the vinyl, so any other ideas are very welcome...

All of the pieces except for the drip moulding I plan to paint with trim and bumper paint so it all matches.

Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
So, I have the top windshield piece, and all hatch mouldings on order, along with all of the clips for those pieces.. The quarter rear windows and drip mouldings above the doors are peeling, and the only option I can see is to repair them.

My best guess on the quarter rear windows is to carefully cut off the peeling rubber/plastic with a razor blade while the mouldings are still on the car, and then prime and spray with trim and bumper paint. Any better ideas?

For the drip mouldings, my best idea is removing them from the car, removing the rubber, and wrapping them in black vinyl. I'm worried about warping the pieces when I heatgun the vinyl, so any other ideas are very welcome...

All of the pieces except for the drip moulding I plan to paint with trim and bumper paint so it all matches.
Interesting that you have any of them on order. I'd long since given up on that... someday maybe someone will paint mine :)

No better suggestion. I'd prefer paint to wrap. I got overly zealous on my right door molding and burned the sucker. $125 if I can find one :(

Good luck. Will be looking for before after pics.

quickstudy

Authorized Seller
i believe the side moldings on the doors, and many other pieces are available in carbon fiber. the rear hatch i have had no luck with

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
i believe the side moldings on the doors, and many other pieces are available in carbon fiber. the rear hatch i have had no luck with
I don't think there are any that are done "well". Retrospec offered them, but I've heard very mixed reviews. For the part to be worth much, it has to fit well.

I'm mid-restoration and I think the best option is to remove (sand) whatever plastic/vinyl has chipped or cracked badly and paint over it with a bumper black type of paint. Such a shame those simple parts aren't available.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
Stay away from Retro-Spec. He will take your money and never deliver. Check out all the complaints on his FB page. I had to file a complaint with my credit card issuer to get my money back.

If you find a source for new side molding, everyone will want to know.

YotedmyMA70

Authorized Seller
Has anyone heard anything new about Toyota’s GR heritage parts? Hopefully they can still produce the first batch of parts they planned this year and maybe make trim pieces in the future. A good carbon fiber vender would be a dream come true too.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I've heard exactly nothing on the "heritage program".

It's starting in Japan anyway first.

majestic47

Authorized Seller
If I could get somebody to fabricate new drip mouldings to match oem, I'd pay for it. No idea who would do it.

I checked the local pull a part (el paso, tx) and they actually had an 86.5 supra. It was pretty gutted, but I got extra (stripped) hatch and drip mouldings.

I'll post pictures after I'm finished. Can't wait for the mouldings i ordered to ship.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
If I could get somebody to fabricate new drip mouldings to match oem, I'd pay for it. No idea who would do it.

I checked the local pull a part (el paso, tx) and they actually had an 86.5 supra. It was pretty gutted, but I got extra (stripped) hatch and drip mouldings.

I'll post pictures after I'm finished. Can't wait for the mouldings i ordered to ship.
I'm in a similar boat, but here's the kicker: How much would you actually pay for good reproduction parts? I think that's where it all falls apart. We all want it, but VERY few of us will pony up the cash for a $2000 set of new window moldings. To the contrary, many owners would flock to social media and berate Toyota for being so selfish and greedy as to ask such big prices.

The realistic break even point for somebody making those might be $1000 for a set of 2-4 moldings - certainly way over the OEM prices back when they were available. The Supra window moldings are all huge overmolded metal parts. You'd need a die/press for the metal parts with an enormous tooling cost (tens of thousands) and then a massive molding tool set for the plastic overmold (likely another investment of tens of thousands). If Toyota still has the tooling, production should be relatively affordable. But to start from scratch to remake them in the OEM style? Yikes.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I've heard exactly nothing on the "heritage program".

It's starting in Japan anyway first.
Here's a link to their site and the form to enter five of your personal requests:

Granted this is nothing new. We've heard nothing for months, but, this is still here and still taking requests. I told them to check out the people's requirements on SupraMania.com. Doubt that they will, so flood them with requests folks :)

Last edited:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I thought that was already done and requested by Toyota.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I thought that was already done and requested by Toyota.
Then you know more than I do :), This is the state as I know it. Sometimes the word has to be given out more than once :)

There was a form that required registration in the Toyota owner's site... and it was basically what this link is about.

Somebody commented on FB the other day that each time they post the URL for the shop manual that people go crazy like it's the first time they've heard of it... no matter how many times you tell people, it's always new to them when they hear :)

That said... I'm going to go post the URL on FB.