Where did everyone go?

Boostin88T

Mk4 Slayer
Authorized Seller
I'm alive, kinda...

Even in NY there are less and less MK3's around and hardly any MK4's. Everyone these days are driving those new BMW's.

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I couldnt agree with Jeff more. 15 years ago when I bought my 1st car I had 5k to spend and I wanted to buy the fastest foriegn car that could be easily modified and looked halfway decent. I settled on the supra. My supra has still never seen more than stock boost. Most young kids that bought these cars wanted to turn up the boost but didnt have the money to do it properly and ruined them. All of those cars were totaled or ended up with blown head gaskets and are now in a junk yard somewhere. As time goes on the only supras still left are ones people have actually taken care of and are out of young kids price range. The MK3 has never brought big money but over the past year i have seen this start to change.
That is why when I first joined here and got my Supra in high school I only put a 3" exhaust, shimmed wastegate and a intake filter but before I did all that I did the proper maintenance with all new hoses, belts, fluids, full tune up as well and check the overall health of the 7mGTE motor. It lasted great for me with no problems and I pulled the motor last year with it still running great.

Back then you had to worry about the fast and furious tacky interior parts and lighting aslie in the store. Now you have all these cheap Chinese parts coming in runing motors with inexperienced people installing them with no mechanical knowledge which makes it a double wammy. Do not get me started on the drift/stance crowd but I do like a vehicle that is done the right way and still safe for the road.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I'm still around. Real Life (TM) has taken over. House, wife, daily things to do. I'm busy, still have my Supra. It's currently a gutted, rust free shell. Needs a paint job, roll cage, then it can start going back together. Unfortunately I don't think it'll fit in my basement, so it stays in my parents' garage, buried under all sorts of crap.

I'm selling my e36 M3 and my Tacoma to buy my brother's "(newer) Tacoma. Once I get that in the next few weeks, we'll be saving for a front porch on the house, then a garage. Perhaps one day I'll circle back around to the car. I miss it and think of it often.

A70BoosTFienD

A.K.A. Knight Rider
Authorized Seller
Just last night Jon an I were talking about the old days and how we operate though life has morphed from taking the time to really learn and perfect the art of something to "just get it done" especially when it comes to the car scene. The new generation just wants the car to be what they want it to be without really enjoying the journey of getting there. The power we can make now compared to when we all were pretty active here has changed significantly too lol. 500-600 hp back then was top tier and now its childs play lol

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
The new generation has benefitted from the research of the older generation, more abundant supply of aftermarket parts, and new technology.

I am refining my car with the old school flavor and updated new school.

What are you all doing to your cars?

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The new generation has benefitted from the research of the older generation, more abundant supply of aftermarket parts, and new technology.

I am refining my car with the old school flavor and updated new school.

What are you all doing to your cars?
I have been enjoying my 7m since I joined here but I decided it was time to build it up by taking advantage of newer technology, new parts, old information and combining it with old 7m technology to make a mini monster lol.

A quick overview of what I have done to the motor:

- a fully built 7mGTE
- ECU Masters standalone
- made a new 7m engine wiring harness that plugs right into the standalone. It has the standalone firing the factory coils but runs sequential fuel injection, Bosch knock sensors, 1200cc low independence injectors, Acura Legend fuel injector resistor box, e85 content sensor and 2 tunes to blend the maps for pump gas and e85.
- bolt-on SP 6262 Precision Turbo.

Its amazing all the parts left over from switching over to a standalone.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Whew, lads. It's been a loooooong ass time since i posted on the public section of the forum. Rumours of my death may have been exaggerated, but only partially. After 2012, my interest in Supra's waned pretty heavily and while i still have my '91, it's pretty much fit for the breakers yard at the moment, having not moved in nearly 7 years. Warning - FREE SUPRA to anyone in France :D

I still live in the UK, living with my fiancee, Louisa in a flat in Hove, East Sussex. No kids yet, but they're planned. I went from being employed by a B2B IT Services firm, to being the department head for said firm, to having a two heart attacks, to leaving the firm for work overload (seriously, the boss brought my laptop into the hospital and asked me to catch up on some tickets!!), to getting employed at quite possibly the coolest company on the planet - Unity Technologies (yes, them - the game engine developers) as an IT tech, for a £11k payrise, less workload and significantly increased benefits. Louisa & I are planning on getting married this year, assuming nothing gets in the way like, a heart attack :p

In terms of the car I drive now? Well, I have a BMW E46 325Ci - still have to have that I6 burble, y'know? However, i'm more concerned about it getting me around the place comfortably - my days of driving around like a lunatic are long behind me - i'm only 3 years shy of being FORTY. FORTY?! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?! I came to this forum aged just 24!!

Anyway - that's why I've not really been around much - i do & will still stop in from time to time to make sure folks are behaving themselves ;)

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Hey Kai!
Good to hear from you again.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Cool to see a post from you, Kai. Congrats on the work gig. Stay upright for us, will ya? ;)

Dan McBoost

I don't roll stock whips.
Authorized Seller
FB definitely has been killing off forums a bunch at a time and I hate it. It is no place to have searchable answers, or build topics.

I know I have been MIA on and off for years, but I do miss being around. I just lack the time to be on every forum for every car I own. :(

Reactions: debrucer

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
FB definitely has been killing off forums a bunch at a time and I hate it. It is no place to have searchable answers, or build topics.

I know I have been MIA on and off for years, but I do miss being around. I just lack the time to be on every forum for every car I own. :(
Anytime I see the word "Adirondack" I think of your blue pre 89 parked outside of that warehouse or whatever that building was. One of the most inspirational mk3 photo sets I can recall.

Glad to see your still around and hope you still have that mk3.

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
I have to admit I come and go from SM too often. A lot of that came down to the horrible job I had with Microsoft at Turn 10 Studios. It was the most depressing place I have ever worked and made my financial situation too unreliable to ever do much with the Supra. (Though I am lucky I got those Illuminia 2 shocks when I did!)

That job led to me leaving behind a 14 year career in games, financial troubles, lots of sadness, and almost no work done on my Supra...

Now I do IT for a middle school and it is amazing. While I miss designing video games, I am now treated well and respected. And without any legalized corporate slavery scams to deal with I have enough money to finally get working on the Supra and actually spend time on SM again!

Granted, my knowledge is nothing compared to the many sages here, but I occasionally try weird stuff and find OEM-ish solutions to post about. And I am super happy and appreciative of all the wisdom and great people who are still on this site!

TL;DR: Glad to be back, and so happy so many masters are still here to help keep Supras alive!

Reactions: debrucer and Kine

zachm611

Slowly getting there...
Authorized Seller
I know I'm late to reply to this thread but I find myself wondering the same thing... I haven't even looked at my Supra in years now as life happened such as having a daughter, joining the Army, buying a house etc. Now that I'm on deployment I have managed to save up some money and life is sorting itself out I find myself browsing here and sf more recently.
It Makes me a little sad to see how inactive the forums have become compared to maybe 10 years ago..I assume everyone got a life, possibly sold, wrecked and or junked their supra... Maybe Facebook groups took over.. I'm not sure but I do miss coming here back in the day. Oh well there is still a vast amount of info here that will be useful when I get home, so thanks for keeping sm going even if it's not as active as it once was.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Bumping my own thread from 2 years ago, @IJ. @suprahero @Jeff Lange @GrimJack @Kai @shaeff @MDCmotorsports @TONY! @Poodles @CTsupra @Nick M @Piratetip @te72 @foreverpsycotic @suprarx7nut @ForcedTorque @rodel @buckshotglass @NashMan @Dan McBoost

Sight looks good, nice to see it on Xenforo 2. I run a forum for cigars/pipetobacco/wine/beer/whisky running it as well and it's great. Mobile is one of the main reasons I went with it vs anything else.

Sucks to hear about Mike, Really shocking TBH, good to see people still online though, even though this place feels like a shell that it once was. Mike was definitely a part of the heart of SupraMania. Fuck Cancer.

Does SM campaign to facebook or reddit? I've got the Mod ownership over at reddit for both supra and toyotasupra subreddits. Anyone link to here a lot?

I feel like Forums are making a come back though, I've got a little over 6.5k members active on the Vice forum I run, a lot have come from facebook and reddit just because of the crackdown on tobacco and alcohol, but it helps that we advertise there as well.

Wishing this place was back to it's former glory as it was a blast.

I still have 3 Supras, all 3 are sitting though, like many of you, life happens lol, but we finally found our forever farm, just bought it this year, 125 acres all fenced, 2,500 foot driveway, 4 barns, 2 car garage 3200 sqft house, and soon I'll be putting in a 40x60 garage for all the toys. Got a MUTT when I bought this farm, but going to probably sell it and buy a HMMWV from the gov site.

@Kai I think we are all reaching past or near that age now. Still no kids for me though, we rescue equine and livestock and well...It's not cheap to feed over 70 animals...probably why the brakes have been on for a while with the wife and I kid wise.

So now it's been 2 years, what's everyone been up too?

• Love

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Good to see you back.

For your last question:
Family/Home/Kids/Work/Finding Free Time/Life/Supra

About in that order. :D

Reactions: SupraMario

SupraMario

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Good to see you back.

For your last question:
Family/Home/Kids/Work/Finding Free Time/Life/Supra

About in that order. :D
Family/Farm/Work/Finding Free Time/Life/......../Supra lol

I can't wait to get this other farm sold, it's such an odd feeling having 2 places and one of them being empty ><

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Family/Farm/Work/Finding Free Time/Life/......../Supra lol

I can't wait to get this other farm sold, it's such an odd feeling having 2 places and one of them being empty ><
I'm jealous of that space!

My wife and I's goal as of now is to find our forever home/ranch with some space. We'd like to not live totally isolated though so trying to find a semi-suburban area with land and no HOA.

I'm also itching to get out of corporate life. I'm trying to build YotaMD up to the point of it replacing my corporate engineering salary. It's progressing slowly, but steadily. Not quite a golden handcuffs situation, but perhaps copper handcuffs.

The Supra is last after Family/kiddo/day job/YotaMD so everything just moves slowly. on that front.

SupraMario

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I'm jealous of that space!

My wife and I's goal as of now is to find our forever home/ranch with some space. We'd like to not live totally isolated though so trying to find a semi-suburban area with land and no HOA.

I'm also itching to get out of corporate life. I'm trying to build YotaMD up to the point of it replacing my corporate engineering salary. It's progressing slowly, but steadily. Not quite a golden handcuffs situation, but perhaps copper handcuffs.

The Supra is last after Family/kiddo/day job/YotaMD so everything just moves slowly. on that front.
Going from 17 acres to 125, and then there is 80 acres next to us that we will be buying once the logging company is done with it, will be awesome. Having a 2500 foot driveway is awesome. I have no neighbors that we see and trees line the entire property line.

I went %100 remote, so no more driving into the city, and internet is awesome out here + Starlink will be out soon(2020) and it will mean, as long as you can get a remote job (a ton of places are going this way) you just need to be near a town with a hospital and some stores and your good. We don't care for city life and love to wake up in the AM on our own private park basically. It feels like I've already retired. Now I just need to build my new garage after I sell the other farm and get back to working on the supras.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Going from 17 acres to 125, and then there is 80 acres next to us that we will be buying once the logging company is done with it, will be awesome. Having a 2500 foot driveway is awesome. I have no neighbors that we see and trees line the entire property line.

I went %100 remote, so no more driving into the city, and internet is awesome out here + Starlink will be out soon(2020) and it will mean, as long as you can get a remote job (a ton of places are going this way) you just need to be near a town with a hospital and some stores and your good. We don't care for city life and love to wake up in the AM on our own private park basically. It feels like I've already retired. Now I just need to build my new garage after I sell the other farm and get back to working on the supras.
Wife and I have always lived on the outskirts of town and I've been cool with it. If we're 30-60 mins from a city, we're all good. The part that I worry about now is the kid/kiddos growing up without neighbor kids to play with. I'd hate to impact their ability to make friends because their nearest similar age child lives 5 miles away instead of two houses down.

SupraMario

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Wife and I have always lived on the outskirts of town and I've been cool with it. If we're 30-60 mins from a city, we're all good. The part that I worry about now is the kid/kiddos growing up without neighbor kids to play with. I'd hate to impact their ability to make friends because their nearest similar age child lives 5 miles away instead of two houses down.
Got bad news for ya, kids these days are on games with their friends and heavily digitally connected. Even if you stopped your kids from being connected to the net, the other kids would act like they are pariahs. No one plays much outside these days. All the stuff I used to do, I hardly see kids doing now. We used to be super active, but not anymore. Paintball/bikes/tag/airsoft/just outdoors/etc has been basically boiled away by todays electronics and connectivity. It's crazy.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yeah for kids it is super nice to live 5-10 min from anything I've got to say.
Though I would prefer to live waaay off the grid. Will probably do that in the future when kids have left.
I grew up living in the boondocks on a farm, it's for sure a lot tougher to do as much as other kids at the time.
But you figure it out and end up having a few lifelong friends.
The other great thing are the lifeskills you end up developing in that sort of situation.
I am grateful for that the most honestly.
Independence, self sustainability, fix anything, live within your means, non materialistic, none of this keeping up with the Jones crap.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Got bad news for ya, kids these days are on games with their friends and heavily digitally connected. Even if you stopped your kids from being connected to the net, the other kids would act like they are pariahs. No one plays much outside these days. All the stuff I used to do, I hardly see kids doing now. We used to be super active, but not anymore. Paintball/bikes/tag/airsoft/just outdoors/etc has been basically boiled away by todays electronics and connectivity. It's crazy.
Yes, but you need to regulate it.
Heavily.
We have found if the kids get too much screen time they go kind of crazy, it's best to keep it to a minimum.
There are still plenty of kids that do actual activities / outside / sports and whatnot.
If their friends only stare at screens, probably not the best friends to have long term.

Abundance of technology and kids is probably one of the most challenging things these days.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Our girl is 2 1/2 now so that's all still a ways off, but our neighborhood has a few groups of boys and girls that hang out all the time. I'm guessing they're 6-12 years old. They're going to the parks (two in our neighborhood), over to each other's houses, etc...

It's a digital world and that's all great.... not having the option to go physically hang out with your friends because they're miles away is still significant, I think.

Heavily.
We have found if the kids get too much screen time they go kind of crazy, it's best to keep it to a minimum.
There are still plenty of kids that do actual activities / outside / sports and whatnot.
If their friends only stare at screens, probably not the best friends to have long term.

Abundance of technology and kids is probably one of the most challenging things these days.
Yuup. The rec center and their dance class, music class, library events, basketball, swimming, town events, etc... are all things we do often now and see most our neighbors with older kids doing as well.

If we lived 30-60 minutes from that stuff it just wouldn't be an option and I don't see how that can't negatively impact life as a kid.

There are areas in Colorado that offer a few acres of land in a good area that's within 10-30 mins of a metro area. Prices are just double what they are for a similar place another 45 mins from normal suburbia.

SupraMario

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Heavily.

Not saying kids dont go outside, just saying that a ton of kids these days are more stuck inside on a console or PC vs playing in the neighborhood.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I would definitely agree with you there.
Most of the people I work with already can't do basic things for themselves. Change their oil, work on their homes, fix anything, ECT...
The next generation I fear will be even worse.
Complete lack of basic skills.

I'm not saying gaming and computer / electronic skills are bad, they aren't.
But it shouldn't be the center of everything all the time.
Once these people have to live real lives and be responsible they are going to be in a world of hurt.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor

The good thing is that Google search now actually finds content and doesn't send you into PhotoBucket hell. So even if you're not logging in here regularly, you will still find content here through Google. You might not notice immediately, especially if you hadn't noticed them missing, that a lot of photos that were unviewable are now restored here, saved here to the site, with no PhotoBucket dependency. That work thanks to Jeff Lange.

SupraMario

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I would definitely agree with you there.
Most of the people I work with already can't do basic things for themselves. Change their oil, work on their homes, fix anything, ECT...
The next generation I fear will be even worse.
Complete lack of basic skills.

I'm not saying gaming and computer / electronic skills are bad, they aren't.
But it shouldn't be the center of everything all the time.
Once these people have to live real lives and be responsible they are going to be in a world of hurt.
I'm in my mid 30s now and my generation is already like that. What makes it worse is they all have been fed this lie that taking on a large amount of debt and then getting a degree will get them a 6 figure job. So they are broke and can't even fix the things they have. The level of people being semi self-sufficient has tanked. Not saying back in the day everyone and their brother was self sufficient BUT a good bit more were than now. I think it's manifested from our disposable society we have these days.

Poodles

I play with fire
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Damn, been forever...

BRZ is gone, got totalled out a week before Christmas two years ago. Worst wreck I've been in and I was perfectly fine. Got a WRX now, same color. Guess I should update my signature...

Mostly lurk MKII Supra and Subbie facebook groups these days. I think if I was in the MKIII groups I'd want to buy another. Though I probably should as I'm sitting on a ton of rare'ish parts that I should either get a car to put them on or get rid of the parts...

Really bummed about Mike. I really miss the political discussions we used to have. My current political leanings come from those conversations and him challenging me on my viewpoints. Hope his wife is doing well.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Damn, been forever...

BRZ is gone, got totalled out a week before Christmas two years ago. Worst wreck I've been in and I was perfectly fine. Got a WRX now, same color. Guess I should update my signature...

Mostly lurk MKII Supra and Subbie facebook groups these days. I think if I was in the MKIII groups I'd want to buy another. Though I probably should as I'm sitting on a ton of rare'ish parts that I should either get a car to put them on or get rid of the parts...

Really bummed about Mike. I really miss the political discussions we used to have. My current political leanings come from those conversations and him challenging me on my viewpoints. Hope his wife is doing well.
Good to see you. Glad the accident didn't take you out. Sounds like it gave you an excuse to upgrade :) As for those rare parts, may I suggest that you randomly give then away. I did that recently while cleaning out the garage and now I've got ten new friends and the TEMS pieces I needed for my front shocks... totally unsolicited. One of these guys saw that I needed, and delivered. Way kewl! Who would have thought? I've been advertising in the WTB section for a while for new modules... no nibbles. Just an idea... Give stuff away, promote the hobby :)

SupraMario

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Damn, been forever...

Time to find another one lol. I don't think I'll ever get rid of mine. They are to much of a part of my life that it'd be like giving away a family dog you've had for 15 years.

Yea, same here, Mike really did help shape my business and political mindset with the amount of challenges he presented to my viewpoints. He will definitely be missed.

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Maybe you can buy my Supra Poodles, IIRC yours was red too!

Sorry to hear about the BRZ, but I bet the WRX is amazing!

Poodles

I play with fire
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Good to see you. Glad the accident didn't take you out. Sounds like it gave you an excuse to upgrade :) As for those rare parts, may I suggest that you randomly give then away. I did that recently while cleaning out the garage and now I've got ten new friends and the TEMS pieces I needed for my front shocks... totally unsolicited. One of these guys saw that I needed, and delivered. Way kewl! Who would have thought? I've been advertising in the WTB section for a while for new modules... no nibbles. Just an idea... Give stuff away, promote the hobby :)
I sold the Supra with way too many good parts as it is lol. I honestly don't see any MKIII's around at all anymore. Hell car meets in general around here are rare.

About the only real things of value I can think of that I have is I bought the last grey armrest available years ago and I have a set of weird bilstein coilovers. I'm sure there's a lot more, I'd have to look in storage

Ended up giving some stuff away from the BRZ to locals as well because I got sick of people wanting me to ship things for free where I'd make no money lol

Time to find another one lol. I don't think I'll ever get rid of mine. They are to much of a part of my life that it'd be like giving away a family dog you've had for 15 years.

Yea, same here, Mike really did help shape my business and political mindset with the amount of challenges he presented to my viewpoints. He will definitely be missed.
It was tough getting rid of mine, but it was weighing me down and was a complete money pit.

Maybe you can buy my Supra Poodles, IIRC yours was red too!

Sorry to hear about the BRZ, but I bet the WRX is amazing!
Don't temp me!

Honestly, the WRX is the quickest car I've been in, but it doesn't feel as special as the BRZ did. BRZ felt like a weird Supra/Miata hybrid. Same interior space and ergos as the Supra, but the nimble handling of a Miata. Great car, but too damn small around here, so I got something bigger.

Was looking at a new Supra when they hit the used market... but the new Corvette has caught my eye. Guess I need to make some career changes to get one lol

Reactions: debrucer and loc182

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
@Poodles : Sorry to go off topic, but thanks for the comments on the BRZ.

It was always my plan to trade the Supra for one back when they first came out, but then my company closed down.

I was really close again in 2017, and then a week after a test drive I got laid off.

If I happened upon a 2018 50th Anniversary edition I might not be able to resist, I just worry it would never feel as good as the Supra. Plus I don't want to lose another job as a result of BRZ contemplation :p

• Haha

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
@Poodles : Sorry to go off topic, but thanks for the comments on the BRZ.

It was always my plan to trade the Supra for one back when they first came out, but then my company closed down.

I was really close again in 2017, and then a week after a test drive I got laid off.

If I happened upon a 2018 50th Anniversary edition I might not be able to resist, I just worry it would never feel as good as the Supra. Plus I don't want to lose another job as a result of BRZ contemplation :p
No. Definitely don't go losing another job over a car. For me, it's cars I gave up to get married. In 1967 it was a Firebird 400 HO convertible. Marriage lasted a few years. in 1976 it was my '67 Jaguar XKE, delivered to the new owner on my wedding day, April 4th. Then 30 years later, I married a Brazilian chick, 18 years my junior. I kept the car :). Not as lucky with the lady.

• Haha
Reactions: loc182

rodel

SoCal
Authorized Seller
Still in the game. I come by, here, once in a while. It's always good to see the O.G.s posting. Some of the O.G.s and I are in a secret Facebook group. PM me if you're curious.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Well i have been back for a bit but thought i'd post in this thread.

I refuse to use FB to post any build anything or in the weeds technical stuff. Way to many idiots, dumb asses and the general wave of stupidity is the size of One world trade Center. As always there are some knowledgeable folks on FB (mostly the O.G crew) to still bounce ideas or technical know-how with but i rather dump it here.

incase not everyone was aware, back in 2010 i had a massive life curveball that essentially sent me into the gutter of depression.

Lost it All. Literally.

house, job, relationship. the whole nine. And without a house, could not support the Supra anymore so gave it away for $1500 with stroker motor and all. It was a bad patch but made it through fine.

fast forward to today, I am married, have kids, 45 years young. Was super bummed to hear about Mike's passing as he was instrumental in helping me get out of that depression hole.

Working on a 89 Supra that the previous owner did some silly things to (see build thread here).
I am also working on becoming a MoteC dealer which i would be the 3rd in this state.

I have the luxury of working from home now a days though i do travel to NYC on business.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
What's up everyone? Who called this meeting?

Still have my supra. It's getting another fuel pump in it and then going back on the rollers. It's around six seventy right now and should be around eight hundred with the other pump. I've also got a 6r80 along with all the other goodies I need for it except for an adapter plate. I can't wait to get that thing made so I can be auto. At my age it's hard to shift gears all the time..........lol

I'll check back with you later. I'm late for a meeting.