Wheel Fitment & Question Thread

89soup

Authorized Seller
Hey everyone.

Finally looking to add some wheels to my Supra. 89 Turbo R154 White Package.

I really love the new TSW Rotary Forged Avalon wheels. I'd want to do it in a staggered package: 18x9.5 in the back and 18X8.5 in the front.

235/35 up front and 275/35 out back.

Just got some Tein Flex Z Coil overs. Everything else brake and suspension is stock right now.

Do you think I will have any issues with fitment?

Here are the specs:

https://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_avalon.php

jbsupra.png

Thanks for your help!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Hey everyone.

Finally looking to add some wheels to my Supra. 89 Turbo R154 White Package.

I really love the new TSW Rotary Forged Avalon wheels. I'd want to do it in a staggered package: 18x9.5 in the back and 18X8.5 in the front.

235/35 up front and 275/35 out back.

Just got some Tein Flex Z Coil overs. Everything else brake and suspension is stock right now.

Do you think I will have any issues with fitment?

Here are the specs:

https://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_avalon.php

View attachment 81790

Thanks for your help!
18x8.5 and 18x9.5 with 35-40mm offset is perfect, in my mind. Those wheels appear to come in those offsets so I think fitment would be fine. You could probably go 10mm wider on the tires if you wanted.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Work Emotion T5R and Bridgestone Potenza S007A
View attachment 81913
Gorgeous!

I’d love more photos of this setup if possible. These were a strong second runner for my white package. I love how this finish compliments the white!

Can you provide more info on what tabs needed to be adjusted to fit the 275/35? I’d love to fit those tires up front too. I keep slightly rubbing on harder corners with my 255/35s.

-Nick

KenHenderson

Authorized Seller
you can fit 18x9.5+38 with 275/35R18 under a stock body car with just having to modify the front fender tabs a bit and no adjustment in the rear.
View attachment 81912
I'm thinking you can only do this at the ride height shown in this pic. The ride height of my car for sure, and, possibly, my BBK, would not allow this particular set-up. Those wheels are money. I considered them as well, but decided on another set of Work wheels if fitment issues can be successfully resolved.

Ken.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
I'm thinking you can only do this at the ride height shown in this pic. The ride height of my car for sure, and, possibly, my BBK, would not allow this particular set-up. Those wheels are money. I considered them as well, but decided on another set of Work wheels if fitment issues can be successfully resolved.

Ken.
I could lower it if I wanted which would only help fitment in my opinion because they would camber in a bit. My only worry would be hitting a massive bump at a big amount of steering angle, I have the Mercedes bbk on the car and they clear the caliper with 5ishmm of clearance between the spokes and caliper.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Work Emotion T5R and Bridgestone Potenza S007A
View attachment 81913
I love it! I keep swing between these, the Gram 57CR and the Advan TC3/4 or Advan GT for my future wheels. Fitment looks good. If you've got any further out shots, please share. I'm glad someone got those wheels on a mk3. Beautiful look, great choice.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Gorgeous!

I’d love more photos of this setup if possible. These were a strong second runner for my white package. I love how this finish compliments the white!

Can you provide more info on what tabs needed to be adjusted to fit the 275/35? I’d love to fit those tires up front too. I keep slightly rubbing on harder corners with my 255/35s.

-Nick
I love it! I keep swing between these, the Gram 57CR and the Advan TC3/4 or Advan GT for my future wheels. Fitment looks good. If you've got any further out shots, please share. I'm glad someone got those wheels on a mk3. Beautiful look, great choice.
Got this picture real quick today, I'm going to take some nice ones next time it's nice out to really show them off, with the weight and appearance I would highly recommend this wheel.

Attachments

KenHenderson

Authorized Seller
I could lower it if I wanted which would only help fitment in my opinion because they would camber in a bit. My only worry would be hitting a massive bump at a big amount of steering angle, I have the Mercedes bbk on the car and they clear the caliper with 5ishmm of clearance between the spokes and caliper.

Possibly, but I don't think so. That's a lot of poke to eliminate through lowering alone, and the camber effect is more likely to affect the rear than the front. No matter, it looks great and works for you. That is all that matters.

My Wilwood Aero 6 front calipers has caused me clearance problems on two different set of wheels I was interested in. The caliper is a fraction of an inch from being 12 inches from end to end, causing valve stem clearance issues without the perfect offset. Hoping my most recent choice of Work wheels can work for my purposes. Congrats again on your work.

Ken.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Possibly, but I don't think so. That's a lot of poke to eliminate through lowering alone, and the camber effect is more likely to affect the rear than the front. No matter, it looks great and works for you. That is all that matters.

My Wilwood Aero 6 front calipers has caused me clearance problems on two different set of wheels I was interested in. The caliper is a fraction of an inch from being 12 inches from end to end, causing valve stem clearance issues without the perfect offset. Hoping my most recent choice of Work wheels can work for my purposes. Congrats again on your work.

Ken.
Ken,
I am looking at the ARZ 6 pot calipers as well. I think we're also aiming for a similar fitment. What wheels have you found that were problematic?

I'd hate to drop $3k on wheels only to find out it is incompatible with the brakes I had in mind.

KenHenderson

Authorized Seller
Ken,
I am looking at the ARZ 6 pot calipers as well. I think we're also aiming for a similar fitment. What wheels have you found that were problematic?

I'd hate to drop $3k on wheels only to find out it is incompatible with the brakes I had in mind.
Both sets were used. Some old school DP 3-piece, five spoke wheels (don't recall the specific name) and some Volk Racing GT-Ns, both 18 inches in diameter. I have the Arizona Performance fitment template and had both sellers use it to see if I was going to have any issues. I did in both cases, so I'm going to purchase new. I'm waiting on the company's response to my emails, wherein I provided the specs on my current set of wheels/tires, pics of my car, the fitment template and my desired wheel dimensions (18 x 9, front, and 18 x 10 rear, although I will stick with 8.5 and 9.5 if I absolutely must).

LOL, it seems no one wants to sell me wheels. For the life of me, I can't get a response from these guys....

Ken.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I have run into the same issue when buying wheels. I've found wheel companies are not responsive to giving detailed specs on dimensions.
But at the least they should be able to use measurements given to them by you to verify calipers won't interfere with fitment...
That's pretty bad they won't at least give you an answer that way.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Both sets were used. Some old school DP 3-piece, five spoke wheels (don't recall the specific name) and some Volk Racing GT-Ns, both 18 inches in diameter. I have the Arizona Performance fitment template and had both sellers use it to see if I was going to have any issues. I did in both cases, so I'm going to purchase new. I'm waiting on the company's response to my emails, wherein I provided the specs on my current set of wheels/tires, pics of my car, the fitment template and my desired wheel dimensions (18 x 9, front, and 18 x 10 rear, although I will stick with 8.5 and 9.5 if I absolutely must).

LOL, it seems no one wants to sell me wheels. For the life of me, I can't get a response from these guys....

Ken.
Regarding tech details from manufacturers, tell me about it. I work with industrial measurement equipment in my day job. We probably have 100 pages of text and dimensional diagrams for every actual photograph in our documentation. Tuning companies are about the opposite. 100 professional photos for every small table of minimal tech specs. And that table probably doesn't have the one dimension you care about (weight for wheel?! Who wants to know that?! Better yet, who has a device capable of measuring such an exotic thing!). Sigh, haha.

Supraross

Authorized Seller
Guys i have a question, I'm pretty sure they'll fit, but the links on the first page are so old they're broken now. 17 x 9 +35 with 255/40 all the way around, suspension is stock springs for the moment, on koni yellow (don't think there is any drop) will there be any issues with that set up?

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Guys i have a question, I'm pretty sure they'll fit, but the links on the first page are so old they're broken now. 17 x 9 +35 with 255/40 all the way around, suspension is stock springs for the moment, on koni yellow (don't think there is any drop) will there be any issues with that set up?
Will fit fine, in fact, you could move up to 275 if you wanted. It's gonna look like a 4x4 though with stock sus.

I was testing 18x10.5 with 55 offset, I think they will fit with the spring compression, I will test on my coilover car soon, but they will basically be the absolute biggest you can go without rolling. I think through the 55 is too deep and will need at least a 5 mm spacer for the rear.

Supraross

Authorized Seller
I figured, would have gone 18, but there are more affordable choices for now in 17" r-comp tires, rules limit me to 255 or possibly 265, don't think i can do 275 without penalty. If she stays alive until a second build, we'll be upgrading suspension. Stock on koni's is essentially to feel the car out again for hpde 1 / 2, then coilovers / sways. Thank you for the info.

Nickkick

Hello everyone. I want to ask for advice. I've bought brembo brakes from MB, and they don't fit with my current wheels, so I need new ones.
I think about TE37(replica for now).

What I'm really stuck with is ET. I have an option of F: 17x8j +35 and for R: 17 x 9.0j / ET25, or I can just run 17 x 9.0j / ET25(I think this is a better option).
My current setup is 17 x 9.0j / ET35, in front it's 235 and 255 rear. 9j+35 sits nice, I'm concerned about et+25 and brembo brakes fitment.
Car is stock not lowered, but I will run tein flex z in near future(I hope) and defenetly don't want to roll fenders(I have little problem with them). Will 9j et25 fit?
Will te37 fit with brembo mercedes brakes?

Last edited:

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
25 will probably make you rub when you lower the car because they will stick out too far. No idea if they will fit Brembo upgrade and I don't think anyone can tell you if a rep is going to fit your setup because reps and don't always fit like originals.

I had 17x9 40 offset and 275's bearly fit in the rear without rubbing, fronts I think i went with 245's and had to adjust the bump stops or I would rub the control arm. 35 with 8 will porbably be a little sunken into the fender, for a flush fit i would probably look for a 25-30 with 8" wheel or 35 with 9"

Nickkick

25 will probably make you rub when you lower the car because they will stick out too far. No idea if they will fit Brembo upgrade and I don't think anyone can tell you if a rep is going to fit your setup because reps and don't always fit like originals.

I had 17x9 40 offset and 275's bearly fit in the rear without rubbing, fronts I think i went with 245's and had to adjust the bump stops or I would rub the control arm. 35 with 8 will porbably be a little sunken into the fender, for a flush fit i would probably look for a 25-30 with 8" wheel or 35 with 9"
Thank you, I see it might be a better option to run 8j+35 front with 5mm spacer and 9j et25 rear.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
My work wheels are 17x8 +35 and they do not look sunken at all. I also ran 275 on a wheel with +50 with no rubbing on the rear. Same with the Work wheels being +35 in the rear. On the old Kei Office wheels I used, I could've run a 275 with zero issues, I'm curious to why you had issues?

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
9/25 will probably stick out too far unless you go to a smaller 255 wheel or so.

Actually 17x8 + 35 should be flush, or close to, on my mk3 I have Mk4 wheels which are 17x8 +50 adding a 25MM spacer takes me to +35 which looks pretty flush, you could go even more to a 35MM spacer if your really like that stretched hella flush look (I don't) and fit some rubber bands.

275 on 9.5 +50 is mk4 rear stock wheel which of crouse is going to fit, as proven already, but you would most likely want a 5-10MM spacer to make that look flush. Probably closer to 5MM as 10 may make it rub. Again that brings the offset down to +45 or +40 depending on the spacer. Going to a 25 with a 275 will for sure rub, you'll probably need to run at 245 or so not to rub or again some rubber band size. Nothing is worse than rubbing wheels, drives me fucking nuts, and ruins the car.

Last edited:

Nickkick

9/25 will probably stick out too far unless you go to a smaller 255 wheel or so.

Actually 17x8 + 35 should be flush, or close to, on my mk3 I have Mk4 wheels which are 17x8 +50 adding a 25MM spacer takes me to +35 which looks pretty flush, you could go even more to a 35MM spacer if your really like that stretched hella flush look (I don't) and fit some rubber bands.

275 on 9.5 +50 is mk4 rear stock wheel which of crouse is going to fit, as proven already, but you would most likely want a 5-10MM spacer to make that look flush. Probably closer to 5MM as 10 may make it rub. Again that brings the offset down to +45 or +40 depending on the spacer. Going to a 25 with a 275 will for sure rub, you'll probably need to run at 245 or so not to rub or again some rubber band size. Nothing is worse than rubbing wheels, drives me fucking nuts, and ruins the car.
And what In terms of handling, I effectivly change track rear/front, so rear is becoming even more wide than front, how does that effect? Does it get more oversteer or understeer?

supra92

Authorized Seller
Hey guys -- engine work on my black/black 92 Turbo is largely complete, and now need to get cracking on wheels & tyres. I'm leaning towards the Konig Hypergrams in 17x9 matte grey, but they only come in +25 and +40 offsets. My understanding is that the +25s may have a real issue with rubbing and require fender rolls, and that the +40 might be sunken-in too far from the wheel well. I'd like to avoid spacers if possible, but it's not a dealbreaker, at least yet.

The plan is to go with 17x9 Konigs on all four corners, wearing 245-45/17 tyres. Anyone seen any issues with this setup, and have guidance on what to do with the offset choices? Should I be considering a different size wheel/tyre combination, given that I'd like the same size on all four corners?

-supra92

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
If you can, go 8.5 front and 9.5 rear. 245 up front, 275 in back. That with a 40 offset should be fine. Worst case, you need very thin spacers. I would not go with the 25 offset because you're going to have slight poke and potential rubbing issues up front. It's easier to add a spacer than it is to roll fenders and deal with poke.