Wheel Fitment & Question Thread

Grandavi

Authorized Seller
St sways on mine as well. My sole complaint is that I always have a hint of a feel that the car is going Togo sideways on a curve under acceleration. Could be just that I'm not used to the lack of body roll. For straight line, though, 18" rims just don't have enough sidewall. Luckily I don't care about my 1/4 mile time.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
My approach is to get as much wheel width and tire as possible on the road, as well as to accommodate a BBK. Eventually, I will change the 5 Zigen wheels that came with the car, but my set-up includes 18 x 8.5 +38 on Michelin 245/40/18 PSS, front, 18 x 9.5 +38 on 285/35/18 PSS, Tein Street Flex coilovers and the AZP 6-piston/14.25-inch, 4-piston/12.88-inch BBK.

Pics:
SIV2016 ShowNShine and Drag-210

SIV2016 ShowNShine and Drag-80

No rolling or pulling fenders involved so far but, just recently, and after about 2,000 miles of driving, my front tires have hooked the inner lip on both sides going into very steep driveways. No damage, fortunately, but if I can find an expert fender roller that can deal with 26-year old paint, I will probably have them rolled. If not, I will probably raise the front end just a tad, as the car has my preferred mild rake and, hopefully, fix the problem that way.

Anyway, the extra meat on the road, courtesy of Michelin, ST sway bars, Tein Street Flex coilovers, the AZP BBK and corner balancing has made this the best handling MKIII I've ever driven. As these cars really benefit from wider wheels and tires, correct widths and offsets are critical to extracting all they have to offer.

Ken.
Ken, your car is yet again the benchmark as far as I'm concerned. That fitment looks absolutely perfect. I was going through pages and pages of this thread trying to find good looking fitments and I think the search is done for me - this is all I needed to see. On top of that, you don't even need fender rolling to run this setup. I hope I get to see that car in person some day...

KenHenderson

Authorized Seller
Ken, your car is yet again the benchmark as far as I'm concerned. That fitment looks absolutely perfect. I was going through pages and pages of this thread trying to find good looking fitments and I think the search is done for me - this is all I needed to see. On top of that, you don't even need fender rolling to run this setup. I hope I get to see that car in person some day...
Just now seeing this. Thanks for the kind words. As an update, I raised up the front by 2 clicks, as I couldn't find a fender roller I could trust. Visually, the car looks the same in terms of ride height, but it seems to have done the trick as far as hooking the inner lip is concerned. I need to try out about two more driveways to make sure but, so far, the tests on all the others have turned out fine. I'll update if anything changes.

Ken.

1990MA70

Authorized Seller
F: 18x9.5 +22 235/40 (Zestino Gredge 240)
R: 18x10.5 +22 265/35 (Zestino Acrova)
Suspension: HSD Monopro Coilover's

Fenders rolled flat, No rubbing

21273315_1275894565872194_4671668667566325766_o.jpg

20170608_134647.jpg

21246478_1275885809206403_3441903470837766578_o.jpg

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Hey Guys,

I'd like to run MK4 rears on the front and back. I noticed that they rub at full lock on the Front. While I only plan to do 255/40/17 due to keeping the OEM Sized tire's so I don't end up with rubbing issues on the fender liner and other issues, that come with oversized tires. Does anyone know what size spacers I need to make the wheels fit at full turn lock? I tested 10MM spacers, and it still seems to rub. Since the offset is 50 that would make them a 40 offset with the spacers...

On my 87 I have 19x10 with 275/30/19 all the way around without rubbing and they are 38MM offset. I thought the lack of 0.5" of thickness, and a 40 offset would do me well but doesn't seem to be the case.

Since I don't have 15MM spacers, Just wondering if anyone else has done this.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Hey Guys,

I'd like to run MK4 rears on the front and back. I noticed that they rub at full lock on the Front. While I only plan to do 255/40/17 due to keeping the OEM Sized tire's so I don't end up with rubbing issues on the fender liner and other issues, that come with oversized tires. Does anyone know what size spacers I need to make the wheels fit at full turn lock? I tested 10MM spacers, and it still seems to rub. Since the offset is 50 that would make them a 40 offset with the spacers...

On my 87 I have 19x10 with 275/30/19 all the way around without rubbing and they are 38MM offset. I thought the lack of 0.5" of thickness, and a 40 offset would do me well but doesn't seem to be the case.

Since I don't have 15MM spacers, Just wondering if anyone else has done this.
Eric, I ran the Mk4 rear (17x9.5 +50mm) all around years ago. Had 275/40/17 tires too. Where are you rubbing? I noted that it would rub if you tried to go full lock, in my case, it was on the inside of the wheel, rubbing the back side of the lower control arm. That will end up shaving some aluminum on you, fair warning...

I ran mine without spacers, and just dealt with the lack of a full turning circle. It sucks, but it can be done. Parking lots and tight autocross courses would be about the only place that would give you a hard time I would suspect?

One thing I would recommend, if you can get it up on a lift, adjust the steering stop screws on the inside rear side of the hubs. I'm now running 17x9.5 +38 RPF1's, and my stop screws were adjusted to different lengths. So, on full lock left turns, I would rub on the control arm, slowly machining my new wheels... not a good idea. So, I leveled out the adjustment screws on both sides to where I would get as close to full lock as possible, without rubbing. Works great now, all I needed was a caliper to measure, I used the part that sticks out of the bottom of the caliper (depth gauge?) to measure across the same points on both sides to even them up.

Sorry so long for the reply, hopefully this helps someone out, if you haven't gotten yours sorted by now!

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
** Update **

I refinished mk4 wheels, and using mk4 rears on the front would not work well 17's are not tall enough to clear the Control arms. Even with a 20 MM spacer things do not end up well. I'd recommend 18" or bigger if you are trying to have a 50 offset and 9.5" wheel.

That being said the final setup I think which will look best and fit best is as follows

275/40/17 Tires for rear
10MM spacer
255/40/17 Tires if you don't want a tall meaty look
15MM spacer

245/40/17 Tires for front
25MM spacer

I have a 20 MM spacer on now and it looks like it could use another 5MM to make it look nice and flush

Here's what the car looks like
275/40/17 No spacer
245/40/17 20MM spacer

Attachments

Last edited:

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Question for you experts. I've spoken with the folks at Enkei about what they believe to be a solid offset for their NT03m which is: 18x8.5 ET38 in the fronts, and 18x9.5 ET 40 in the rears.

Given these figures, and what I've seen on here, my question is actually about the RAYS Gramlights 57CRs. They offer the following offsets in those sizes:

18x8.5 ET 37 in the fronts
18x9.5 ET 38 in the rears.

I've been looking for so long for a lightweight, 5-spoke design. Would these fit our cars well? Has anyone else run these on their MK3?

Ideally I'd love to replicate Ken Henderson's fitment on his gorgeously built MK3.

Thanks all!

Attachments

Last edited:

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
What size tires do you hope to use?
Ideally, 275s in rear, 235-245 in the front. As far as the sidewall profile, I'd really like a 35 in the rear and maybe the perhaps the same profile on the fronts.

I'd also like to avoid rolling fenders and/or pulling the fenders if at all possible.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Currently, I have 19x10 37 offset on all 4 corners with 275/30/19 on all corners on my black supra but it needs a fender roll and will just clear.

My grey car has mk4's with 245/40/17's mk4's are 50 offset and a 25 spacer would be perfect no roll.

So a non rolled good fit is
8.5 Front 30MM offset
9.5 Rear 40MM offset

The widest I think may work without a roll is
10" front with 40-45 (maybe 265 with 40 and 45 with 275) You will need 18/19" to clear the control arm through
10.5-11" rear with a 50 MM offset
275/30/19 all around

Last edited:

A70BoosTFienD

A.K.A. Knight Rider
Authorized Seller
Currently, I have 19x10 37 offset on all 4 corners with 275/30/19 on all corners on my black supra but it needs a fender roll and will just clear.

My grey car has mk4's with 245/40/17's mk4's are 50 offset and a 25 spacer would be perfect no roll.

So a non rolled good fit is
8.5 Front 30MM offset
9.5 Rear 40MM offset

The widest I think may work without a roll is
10" front with 40
10.5-11" rear with a 50 MM offset
275/30/19 all around
When i had XXR 527's i was on a 275/35/18 in the rear on 18x9.75+20 and cleared post a roll and pull but could have sworn it was close to the strut. With that +37 offset how far are you away?

Buckshotbob

Authorized Seller
I'm looking to stick with the white package theme on my 91. Anyone got a line on some white wheels, maybe something I wouldn't have to roll my fenders with. Have come across some Konig wheels in white but not really in the sizes listed here, any advice would be great on where to look, kinda new at this.

Supra1.png

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Question for you experts. I've spoken with the folks at Enkei about what they believe to be a solid offset for their NT03m which is: 18x8.5 ET38 in the fronts, and 18x9.5 ET 40 in the rears.

Given these figures, and what I've seen on here, my question is actually about the RAYS Gramlights 57CRs. They offer the following offsets in those sizes:

18x8.5 ET 37 in the fronts
18x9.5 ET 38 in the rears.

I've been looking for so long for a lightweight, 5-spoke design. Would these fit our cars well? Has anyone else run these on their MK3?

Ideally I'd love to replicate Ken Henderson's fitment on his gorgeously built MK3.

Thanks all!
I'm looking at those wheels as well. Seems to be a great cast wheel option. I'm also looking at the exact sizes you listed. I think those are fine with no fender rolling with the tire sizes you mentioned. Do you know what your suspension setup is/will be? As long as you're not super low I think you'll be fine with those sizes.

Also check out the SSR GTV01. Similar pricing and also a cast 5 spoke design. The gram lights are probably lighter.

Finally - can't wait for more content on your channel! ;)

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
I'm looking to stick with the white package theme on my 91. Anyone got a line on some white wheels, maybe something I wouldn't have to roll my fenders with. Have come across some Konig wheels in white but not really in the sizes listed here, any advice would be great on where to look, kinda new at this.
Depends on the style that you like. Stepped lip or reversed lip? 5 spokes or multi spoke? Perhaps you are a mesh fan? 1 piece, 2 piece, or 3 piece? How aggressive a fitment do you want? How wide do you want the wheels to be? What diameter?

Buckshotbob

Authorized Seller
Depends on the style that you like. Stepped lip or reversed lip? 5 spokes or multi spoke? Perhaps you are a mesh fan? 1 piece, 2 piece, or 3 piece? How aggressive a fitment do you want? How wide do you want the wheels to be? What diameter?
I'm not too picky on the style, the Konig Oversteer is one I've been eyeballing. I like the look of the split 5 spoke, the main thing was it being a white wheel. Wasn't too interested in finding a powder coater since there are not many in my AO. Reading through this thread, 17- 18's seem to be the norm with a little more meaty tire in the rear....?

Far as the car its self I'm still undecided on the route I want to go with it. Would like to do an engine swap eventually, but nothing crazy just want it looking good for fun and cruising around, so no track plans...

Sadly I haven't been able to do much with the car this year, kind of looking like a project for next year, but the current set of tires are going bad. So I feel that if I'm going to spend on some new tires might as well do the wheel upgrade too...

So any advice would be really awesome, been sort of overwhelmed as to where to start with this car, the wheel situation seemed pressing, since I have a slow leak in one of the tires right now...

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
I'm not too picky on the style, the Konig Oversteer is one I've been eyeballing. I like the look of the split 5 spoke, the main thing was it being a white wheel. Wasn't too interested in finding a powder coater since there are not many in my AO. Reading through this thread, 17- 18's seem to be the norm with a little more meaty tire in the rear....?

Far as the car its self I'm still undecided on the route I want to go with it. Would like to do an engine swap eventually, but nothing crazy just want it looking good for fun and cruising around, so no track plans...

Sadly I haven't been able to do much with the car this year, kind of looking like a project for next year, but the current set of tires are going bad. So I feel that if I'm going to spend on some new tires might as well do the wheel upgrade too...

So any advice would be really awesome, been sort of overwhelmed as to where to start with this car, the wheel situation seemed pressing, since I have a slow leak in one of the tires right now...
that's fair. Do you want a square setup or staggered? Those wheels look good their 17x8 start at +35mm for the offset. Its a shame they dont sell them in 17x9 or 17x10. Looking at the offset and sizes for that wheel the 18s seem to be the way to go as far as sizes and offset go. However they dont offer them in white in the sizes I would recommend. Out of curiousity what is your budget? If youre willing to spend a little more it may be wise to invest in a set of Work Emotions. They are very similar in style and can be ordered in any size and configuration you want.

http://www.workwheelsusa.com/product/emotion-cr-kiwami/

Buckshotbob

Authorized Seller
that's fair. Do you want a square setup or staggered? Those wheels look good their 17x8 start at +35mm for the offset. Its a shame they dont sell them in 17x9 or 17x10. Looking at the offset and sizes for that wheel the 18s seem to be the way to go as far as sizes and offset go. However they dont offer them in white in the sizes I would recommend. Out of curiousity what is your budget? If youre willing to spend a little more it may be wise to invest in a set of Work Emotions. They are very similar in style and can be ordered in any size and configuration you want.

http://www.workwheelsusa.com/product/emotion-cr-kiwami/
Yes Sir the Work Emotions are some badass wheels, have seen a lot of guys throw them on MKIV's.

I have to say a staggered setup looks pretty good to me, but would think a square setup would have its benefits with rotations and what not...

Far as budgets go, I have a bad habit of being spendy on car projects, currently too many irons in the fire for me to do the things I want to this car...

Biggest thorn in my side right now is getting my 69 Mustang coupe finished....

In the mean time I was just hoping to drive the Supra as is, but I knew the tires were an issue when I bought it, and honestly have been lucky to not have one blow out on me yet... Sort of why I was considering just going with a more cost friendly wheel. Worst case just replace the ones on the stock wheels (which don't look bad to me), just trying to find a happy medium while this project is in limbo.

Thanks a bunch for the advice dude!!!

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
I'm looking at those wheels as well. Seems to be a great cast wheel option. I'm also looking at the exact sizes you listed. I think those are fine with no fender rolling with the tire sizes you mentioned. Do you know what your suspension setup is/will be? As long as you're not super low I think you'll be fine with those sizes.

Also check out the SSR GTV01. Similar pricing and also a cast 5 spoke design. The gram lights are probably lighter.

Finally - can't wait for more content on your channel! ;)

Hey man! Thanks for chiming in. I've got Fortune Auto 500 series waiting in the garage as soon as I'm done working on location. I don't plan on running super low, my idea for the car is the ultimate GT car: Go on just about any paved road, any time.

I just looked in to those per your recommendation! They seem to be a great wheel and of course SSR has a tremendous reputation. I did find the weight of the GTV01 18x8.5 @ 24lbs, compared to the Gram Lights 57CR coming in at 20.4 lbs measured on the 18x9.5. I think the extra 4 lbs of unsprung weight on each corner may make a noticeable difference - albeit slight. Something to ponder, either way. Regardless, they look like a stellar wheel thats in a reasonable price range.

You and me both brother! We've got it filmed. We're hoping we don't have to do any re-shoots. However we're also planning our wedding for late December, and working out of state 90% of the year this year. Obviously the wedding is taking priority but we're still super stoked to launch Ep. 2! Also, great work on your paint restoration!

-Nick

Last edited: