What’s the current highest mileage 7mgte? Also how much mileage do you have on your rebuild?

Turbo Cargaryen

Authorized Seller
Hey guys, I have been on for a few years as a member and have been reading the forums ever since I was in high school back in the early 2000s. I drove a corolla for a few years before buying my MK3 10 years ago and I have slowly acquired different parts that I plan on using when I rebuild the engine. Until now the car has been extremely reliable and hasn’t needed much to keep going. The thing it probably needs most is body work as there is rust on the wheel wells but that is another issue.

I started this thread to see what’s the current highest mileage 7m in 2020? How well have your 7m’s held up after rebuilds? There’s plenty of rebuild threads but few updates as to how those cars are doing now. Basically, if you’re one of the guys thats been on here for 5+ years, how’s your 7m holding up?

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I rebuilt my 7M last in 2006 with Cometic MLS head gasket. That was 14 years ago and it had 112k miles. It now has 196kmiles and occasionally I see some oil smoke on cold start so the valve seals are probably hardened. I think it is time fro a refresh. Its a daily driver.

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Mine is at least 8 years old or so. My problems are all electrical lately minus a few things I've had to rebuild due to age i.e. blown turbo, cps.
Otherwise mechanically the car has been great.
As long as you don't cut corners you should be alright. Drive it a few times a week normally.

alcyon

Authorized Seller
I rebuilt my 7M last in 2006 with Cometic MLS head gasket. That was 14 years ago and it had 112k miles. It now has 196kmiles and occasionally I see some oil smoke on cold start so the valve seals are probably hardened. I think it is time fro a refresh. Its a daily driver.
This could be a clogged turbo drain. When the oil is thick and cold some of it will escape through the turbo seal and you get smoke.
!

Last edited:

Turbo Cargaryen

Authorized Seller
That’s what I wanted to hear. How much power are your engines producing? My engine is going on on 155000 miles with stock internals. Other than regular maintenance, like hoses, seals, etc, it’s running like a champ. I do have bpu items on the car like an intake, downpipe, exhaust, and am boosting to 10-11psi but have no clue how many horses I’m pushing. All I know is that It’s been nothing but reliable. Good to hear that your rebuilds are still going and doing well!

peer648

Authorized Seller
My 7m been rebuilt, cp pistons, eagle rods, race bearings, high volume oil pump, arps, was at around 180 000 km, motor had no major problems, valve seals needed attention thats about it, just wanted a fresh engine to make good power. Been driving my car on weekends around 7 month a year, for the last 6 or 7 years. I'm a little over 200 000km. Was on a couple dynos, made 334whp in the beginning, had problem with clutch then transmission so couple years with same power sorting out these problems, then new turbo, around 2 years ago, hx40 62mm, made 367 whp, 15psi, boost creeping, restriction somewhere. The tuner decides to stop there. A year later another dyno session with different tuner, made 390whp at 17psi creeping to 19. Restriction somewhere, Thats where i'm at, I have a bigger intercooler and 264 cams for this summer, i hope to get to 450whp. Over 50 pulls on dynos, Flooring it at least once everytime i drive it, drag racing, that 7m always been good to me. From what i know the most important thing is having better oil pressure !!

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
That’s what I wanted to hear. How much power are your engines producing? My engine is going on on 155000 miles with stock internals. Other than regular maintenance, like hoses, seals, etc, it’s running like a champ. I do have bpu items on the car like an intake, downpipe, exhaust, and am boosting to 10-11psi but have no clue how many horses I’m pushing. All I know is that It’s been nothing but reliable. Good to hear that your rebuilds are still going and doing well!
Well i was running around on a 7MGTE with ARP head, Cometic HG with stock internals, and a greddy TD06 turbo. 225,000 miles when bottom rod bearing #2 got chewed out to make it 2 paper thin parts. Since the rod bearing was flattened in the middle. My guess it was long term low level detonation.

Turbo Cargaryen

Authorized Seller
Peer648

Ok, so I take it a high volume pump is highly recommended for longevity. What kind of pressure do you see at idle/boost? I’m planning on swapping the ct26 for an hx40 later on this year so I’m looking forward to what numbers you make after the intercooler and other upgrades.

Figgie

Did you rebuild your 7m? 225,000 miles is very good especially with a TD06. Any idea as to how much power you were making? I’m swapping in a holset hx40 later on this year but I’m not going for any big power. Probably around the 300-350 mark but I’m hoping to keep it reliable.