What's the bulb type for the A/T gear indicator?

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Mine had been flaking out and finally died completely tonight when I had things apart to swap out the radio head unit. Not finding anything on exactly what that little bulb type is so I can get a replacement.

EDIT: Looks like #74 maybe?
EDIT #2: The bulb type is E74. Also replaces these bulbs: glove box, cig lighter, ash tray.

supra gear indicator bulb.jpg

supra gear indicator back.jpg

Last edited:

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Hm, it is NOT a type 74 bulb. 74 is slightly bigger and won't fit.

Correct bulb on left, slightly larger type 74 on right.

EDIT: Also not a 73 nor a 37 bulb.
EDIT #2: Using a magnifying glass, there are some markings: S.14v and 1.4w. Unfortunately there are a lot of 14v/1.4w bulbs in varying sizes, and the "S." doesn't seem to help pull up anything more useful.

gear selector bulb.jpg

Last edited:

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Getting out my calipers, seems like the measurements line up with a T-1.5 size bulb, which can be found as an E74 bulb, a smaller European version of the 74 bulb. No E74s around locally, so gonna have to wait for an online order to be delivered. Hopefully it will be the right one.

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Update:

Checked to see if the glove box bulb would fit, and it does. That's interesting because other information suggests that the glove box bulb type is either 74 or 161. I didn't try 161, but it has different volt and wattage specs, and as noted before, 74 is too big. But now I can button up the center console parts while I wait for the E74 bulbs to be delivered, and if they fit, I'll use one to replace the glove box light.

shifter light glove box bulb.jpg

Ref:

Reactions: Piratetip

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Update:

Checked to see if the glove box bulb would fit, and it does. That's interesting because other information suggests that the glove box bulb type is either 74 or 161. I didn't try 161, but it has different volt and wattage specs, and as noted before, 74 is too big. But now I can button up the center console parts while I wait for the E74 bulbs to be delivered, and if they fit, I'll use one to replace the glove box light.

View attachment 84393

Ref:
That's a little suspicious in my mind. When BMW first came to America the dual filament tail light bulb appeared very close to being a GE 1034. As parts manager I purchased locally vs. through the distributor, Hoffman Motors. It took a few years before we realized what we were doing was wrong. They eventually started melting tail light lenses on city-driven cars where the brakes were used a lot. The dual filament was hot enough, and bulb just slightly larger than the OEM, but caused the then $80 lenses to melt.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
They are Japanese type T bulbs. Hard to locate in the USA, CandlePower sells them. They come in different sizes.

Reactions: debrucer

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Confirmed: E74 is the bulb you want for the gear indicator and glove box lights. Bulb base fits perfectly as does the green cover from the old bulb. "T" type is T1-1/2, and I can't confirm the accuracy, but one of the Amazon reviews from the link below states that the Toyota OEM part number is 90981-11014.

CEC Industries E74 bulb:

e74 box.jpg

e74 box 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: debrucer