What would your 1st hand gun be?

CTsupra

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Frankly, if I have to use a weapon for self defense, I think I would WANT people to know. Wouldn't have to make the call to the morgue myself. :p
Ever fire an M4 inside closed quarters without ear protection? Now, I have tinnitus.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Not lately, but all things considered, is hearing protection really on your list of concerns in a situation like that?

CTsupra

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Of course not, that's why it was done. In the civilian world, yes.

MDCmotorsports

Offical Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Authorized Seller
Contributor
To the OP...the hand gun YOU are comfortable with and can hit with.
A fucking howitzer isn't worth dick of you can't hit the boat you're aiming at.
That said I trust my life every day to my self and a G19 & G26.

Elie_Kaze

Banned
Authorized Seller
"Drop that nickle plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock."

Glock 23 Here.

You want something lightweight, compact and carries alot of rounds. Start with a 9mm for a first handgun. Get some hollowpoints like Winchester Ranger T's, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Hornady TAP and call it a day. I would put a flashlight on it if used in a home defense role such as a Surefire X300.

Put a micro vault on your dresser and your set. The bad guy wouldn't know what hit him. :D

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Not lately, but all things considered, is hearing protection really on your list of concerns in a situation like that?
Actually, yes. As for the several months old OP, go shoot a few things first.

themadhatter

Authorized Seller
Well for C&C i'm fond of my Walther PK380 with self defense hollow points, for home defense 12g pump action with buck shot

ClutchRR

Authorized Seller
My first handgun was a Taurus pt22 it was very small but good for just shooting around and cheap ammo. My next gun was the S&W SK9V this gun is awsome fired about 300 rounds with out a single problem. I will go semi auto over revolver any day.

leezymk3

Authorized Seller
9mm glock,for got which one,I still got it,love that gun,deadly with in
35 to 45 yard

iruyle

Authorized Seller
"I also don't like revolvers for many reasons. There isn't any advantage to them and there's a hell of a lot of disadvantages to them..."

There are any number of advantages to a revolver if you are talking about personal or home defense. There is no advantage I can think of for a semi auto in either instance. As any proper carry weapon can state, a revolver has no safety and it cannot jam. The worst possible case scenario in a defense situation is ammunition failure. With a revolver, there is a simple remedy: pull the trigger again and fire the next round. With a semi auto, you are required to eject the round and chamber another. As for ammo capacity, more bullets is not an advantage unless you are at the range. Statistically, the total number of shots fired in the average gunfight is 5 total between both sides and takes place at a distance of 5 feet. If you need more than 5 or 6 bullets, you're screwed anyway. That said, I'm not a fan of how revolvers look in general but there is no arguing their tactical benefits over semis.

I have:
FM 9mm browning copy
Pietro Beretta 92 fs in stainless pre Brady with 2 15rd mags
Taurus titanium .44 special (in purple)
Desert Eagle .50 in stainless
Taurus judge .45 long colt/410 shot
Beretta Cougar .40

The next two I buy will be the 4th gen Glock 20 and a Rhino .357... Dunno in which order yet. :)

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Authorized Seller
Contributor
"I also don't like revolvers for many reasons. There isn't any advantage to them and there's a hell of a lot of disadvantages to them..."

There are any number of advantages to a revolver if you are talking about personal or home defense. There is no advantage I can think of for a semi auto in either instance. As any proper carry weapon can state, a revolver has no safety and it cannot jam. The worst possible case scenario in a defense situation is ammunition failure. With a revolver, there is a simple remedy:pull the trigger again and fire the next round. With a semi auto, you are required to eject the round and chamber another. As for ammo capacity, more bullets is not an advantage unless you are at the range. Statistically, the total number of shots fired in the average gunfight is 5 total between both sides and takes place at a distance of 5 feet. If you need more than 5 or 6 bullets, you're screwed anyway. That said, I'm not a fan of how revolvers look in general but there is no arguing their tactical benefits over semis.
Revolver can jam.

If you think revolvers are more reliable, go look at the torture tests back in 1911...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Revolver can jam.
Basically anything that stops the spinning of the drum or prevents the hammer from making contact disables them, correct?

As a note, it doesn't hurt to be good with a knife either, just in case things get close enough that a gun might not be the best choice. Don't know about the rest of you, but I probably have WAY more knives in the house. Granted they're not exactly spread about the place, but they could be if I were concerned about home invasions. ;)

iruyle

Authorized Seller
Revolver can jam.

If you think revolvers are more reliable, go look at the torture tests back in 1911...
I don't place any faith in torture tests.
It used to be that if you didn't know how to care for a gun, you were told not to get one. Now, if you don't know how to take care of a gun, you're told to buy a Glock. Basic operation of a revolver is less likely to result in a fault than a semi auto. It's not arguable. Running it over with a flaming steamroller after six months in a bucket full of Fresca doesn't really say much. Leaving a semi auto loaded in storage can reduce tension in mag springs and create a jam. Holding your off hand on the bottom of the mag can produce a jam. Firing a perfectly good round thru a perfectly immaculately cleaned and lubed walther can produce a jam (those things have some really terrible ejectors, don't they? Phew.). It's not a competition and I'm not interested in a pissing contest. I've already said I'm not a fan of revolvers in general (really dig that rhino 357 though). Just expressing to the OP some basic info. He asked about a first gun and IMO, a revolver is the air cooled vw of handguns. It's the easiest and most natural place to start, not where you end up. If you never get into guns enough to learn breakdown and cleaning processes, you're still fine with a wheel gun.

Poodles

I play with fire
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I don't place any faith in torture tests.
Because... you know...people's lives depend on it.

It used to be that if you didn't know how to care for a gun, you were told not to get one. Now, if you don't know how to take care of a gun, you're told to buy a Glock.
Yes, because we all have perfect clean guns when we have to defend ourselves. Certainly the gun couldn't accidently be dropped in the dirt or anything...

Basic operation of a revolver is less likely to result in a fault than a semi auto. It's not arguable.
Except you know, massive burns if you're holding the gun wrong.

Running it over with a flaming steamroller after six months in a bucket full of Fresca doesn't really say much.
Nice strawman, but no, that's not how the military tests guns.

Leaving a semi auto loaded in storage can reduce tension in mag springs and create a jam.
Yeah, if the spring happens to rust badly. Otherwise, no, not happening (this is why magazines have travel stops).

Holding your off hand on the bottom of the mag can produce a jam.
Nope. Well, maybe on some idiot gun like a Desert Eagle which has a floating magazine.

Firing a perfectly good round thru a perfectly immaculately cleaned and lubed walther can produce a jam (those things have some really terrible ejectors, don't they? Phew.).
Which Walther? That's like saying "Colt."

It's not a competition and I'm not interested in a pissing contest. I've already said I'm not a fan of revolvers in general (really dig that rhino 357 though). Just expressing to the OP some basic info. He asked about a first gun and IMO, a revolver is the air cooled vw of handguns. It's the easiest and most natural place to start, not where you end up. If you never get into guns enough to learn breakdown and cleaning processes, you're still fine with a wheel gun.
Wheel guns have a more delicate and fragile operation. If the cylinder isn't lined up correctly, boom. If you don't clean them properly, boom. If you do like all the movies show and spin the cylinder and flip it into the gun, you damage the gun.

The only real advantages revolvers have is being able to shoot different rounds out of the same gun (i.e. same caliber, different length), and that they scale up to crazy sizes that nobody would use for a defensive firearm.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Authorized Seller
Contributor
FNX-40 or USP .40

I own the former and would like to own the latter eventually (chambered in .45)

Gmelo30

Authorized Seller
What are your opinions on a Ballester Molina .45? My father had one when he lived in South America. I want to get a Ballester but it is almost the the same as a Colt 1911. I am going for my pistol permit and I am trying to decide which pistol to get.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Mine would be a 1911 .45 long slide. Not over compensating or anything ;)

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Mine would be a 1911 .45 long slide. Not over compensating or anything ;)
Think it would be enough to put a hole through my neighbor's stereo from my side of the wall? Getting a little sick of hearing their music at 11:46 pm on a night I have to work the next day...

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Think it would be enough to put a hole through my neighbor's stereo from my side of the wall? Getting a little sick of hearing their music at 11:46 pm on a night I have to work the next day...
Shit a .22 would be enough to go thru a wall

Insidious Surmiser

<i>Formerly 89jdm7m
Authorized Seller
hmmm I've always favored the .45 acp cartridge (think 1911, usp, mk23)... although I wouldn't mind having a .460 for long-range bear hunting :cool:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Shit a .22 would be enough to go thru a wall
Was sarcasm my friend... Should have left a sign on their door that said, "grow the fuck up before Officer Mommy and Daddy have to be called over." :nono:

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Was sarcasm my friend... Should have left a sign on their door that said, "grow the fuck up before Officer Mommy and Daddy have to be called over." :nono:
Looool

mk3_4me

Authorized Seller
Been looking at getting either a Sig Sauer .45, Springfield .45, or possibly a Glock .40. In the wake of the recent shooting, it looks like my decision may have to come relatively quickly, before the government reprimands our 2nd amendment rights.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
In the wake of the recent shooting, it looks like my decision may have to come relatively quickly, before the government reprimands our 2nd amendment rights.
Like I told my girlfriend last night, you can't legislate crazy away. If someone intends to do something like this, gun control laws aren't going to stop them. I sincerely doubt it would even be a hindrance. If they take away gun rights from law abiding citizens, the people that will still get them will be the criminal element. Much the same as today, the criminal element does not have a difficult time acquiring firearms.

If anything, restricting gun possession to only law enforcement would only serve to put law enforcement in more danger. If only one or two people are armed, they quickly become priority targets. However, if the number of armed people is unknown... it serves as a deterrent.

All that said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the current administration try their damn best to make it happen. :(

Poodles

I play with fire
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I told some ingrate that thought we should ban all guns the truth: the cat is already out of the bag.

Anyone with basic chemistry knowledge and some pretty basic tools and supplies can make a gun and ammunition in their garage. Sure, it's illegal as all hell, but do you think criminals give a shit about your laws?

Seriously, we've been making crude guns for over a thousand years, you really think you can put the cat back in the bag now?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Much like I told the girlfriend, take away the guns, people will still find means to act on crazy impulses. Pipe bombs are silly amounts of easy, and if strategically placed/used, one could cause a lot more of a death toll than what happened this week...

suprakidd

Authorized Seller
what would be my first handgun?

glock 26, for ccw of coarse. im a huge believer and supporter of our 2nd amendment right.

one or two armed law abidding citizens could have stopped those cowards. but ppl still think a gun free school is a safe place :nono:

Fd_daderp

Authorized Seller
First hand gun was a firestar .45.... Now a glock 40 is the new baby.

And about our right to bear arms, criminals will always find a way to get their hands on a fire arm. If they take our arms away, it will just leave us defenseless.

Insidious Surmiser

<i>Formerly 89jdm7m
Authorized Seller
I was about to buya remington 1911... although I like the ruger's a bit better (1911).... also USP .45 is a good possibility. I would be buying one of these (probably the ruger) if I weren't about to buy another supra.

I can say I've shot an old 1911 and the handling/accuracy (even not aiming) was excellent.

And yes criminals don't give two flying fucks about laws or regulations. All they care about is supply and demand (just look at what a failure prohibition was). Or for that matter the absurd increase of handgun murders in Chicago DURING the handgun ban.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Boss at work posted a picture of a baby with a disgruntled look on its face. Caption says, "Making guns illegal will take them off the street? We should make drugs illegal too!"

trucker

Authorized Seller
So, I've finally decided on my first....well it was decided for me.

Little back story.

A couple of months ago I was discussing CCW with my gf. I was bitching as usual about being left handed, and the brass ejecting across my field of vision. She said that her brother built guns, and had a couple of cnc machines in the shop behind his house. So she called him up, and we spoke for a bit. What I heard thru the tech talk was basically " u gotta live with it dude".

Turns out he is VP of STI, and there are 6 of those 4 axis cnc machines in the shed out back...he owns Force Productions. Yeah, he might know something about guns I guess.

Lol, my first will be a 1911. Hopefully with a healthy family discount.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2