What would your 1st hand gun be?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Your first gun shouldn't be one to compensate for the size of your pe...

Nevermind.

The raging bull looks cool, but isn't much of a functional gun outside of the range.

Shoot a few, see what feels best. Nevermind how it looks, pay attention to how comfortable it fits your hand, how accurately you can shoot a target, how natural it feels, etc... My first gun was a Sig P239 in .40 cal and it wasn't bad, but I've shot many others that suit me much better. The Sig was harsh and had LOADS of recoil compared to many other 40 and 45s I've used. My next purchase will be much more carefully chosen than that Sig was.

It's tough to say what a good first gun is for anyone, but I'd advise against something like the Raging Bull or The Judge. Something simple like a 1911, S&W M&P, most Glock, Sigs or a classic revolver.

There's a great range in my area that does rental guns for a small fee ($20). That allows you to try a huge selection from .22, up to .45's in everything from long barrel revolvers to compact semi-autos. Whatever you do please dont buy your first gun cuz it looks mean and cool. You'll look much cooler even with a "futuristic" .22 if you can handle it well and hit your targets dead on every time.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Suprarx7nut got it on the head. A gun has to suit you. If it doesn't, you might as well be carrying around firecrackers for all the more useful it might be...

Poodles

I play with fire
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Taurus isn't exactly known for their quality...

Not to mention that a gun like that doesn't serve much of function besides an expensive range toy.

(also, it's Five-Se7en not 5-7, and it's yet again a very VERY expensive gun...)

Tango_hotel

serial thread killer
Authorized Seller
I think you should define what your goals are.
1. How much do you have to spend?
2. Are you going to use the pistol for practice, or will it pull double duty as a home defense weapon?
3. Do you have experience with firearms in general?

Because your location is listed as California, I'll assume that concealed carry is of the table. If you just want something to practice with, buy a .22. The browning buckmark is nice, as is the Ruger series. My brother has a beretta Neos, which has performed well.
I would stay away from magnums at first, mostly because ammo is expensive which makes consistent practice difficult. If you want a pistol that is going to pull double duty, I would look for a semi-auto in 9-40-45. Because Cali has magazine restrictions, I would lean towards something in .45. The S&W semi-autos like the 4506 are easy to find used, and because they don't have "urban appeal" are usually cheaper. Glocks and M&P are good to go, or a 1911 in a full size configuration will work just fine, provided that you practice the manual of arms consistently. Revolvers are Ok for a first pistol, but the MOA is more complex, and it takes practice to get good with a speed loader or strip under time pressure (Jerry Miculek notwithstanding). Stay away from Kel-tecs and hi-points.

The big mistake I made with my first pistol was that I couldn't afford to feed it- and because it was a magnum revolver, I developed a nasty flinch that took a lot of practice to eliminate.

MkIII FTW

Authorized Seller
Well truthfully it depends on how much you want to spend. Taurus isn't the best in the quality department. I ended up getting a Springfield xdm .45, my brother got a Ruger Super Redhawk .44mag. When you buy your gun, be sure you can afford the bullets. If you are looking for affordability then neither of these rounds would be a good choice. Best of luck on your search.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Might want to look at a Sig. P226--MK25--9MM. My son just got one for his first gun, it's nice and affordable to shoot. I actually like it more than the XDM.
If you really want a magnum revolver look around for a Colt Python--357M. That pistol is a class act.
My favorite overall is a 1911. Again Sig. makes some nice ones as does Kimber, and you could look at Les Baer.

Poodles

I play with fire
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I think you should define what your goals are.
1. How much do you have to spend?
2. Are you going to use the pistol for practice, or will it pull double duty as a home defense weapon?
3. Do you have experience with firearms in general?

Because your location is listed as California, I'll assume that concealed carry is of the table. If you just want something to practice with, buy a .22. The browning buckmark is nice, as is the Ruger series. My brother has a beretta Neos, which has performed well.
I would stay away from magnums at first, mostly because ammo is expensive which makes consistent practice difficult. If you want a pistol that is going to pull double duty, I would look for a semi-auto in 9-40-45. Because Cali has magazine restrictions, I would lean towards something in .45. The S&W semi-autos like the 4506 are easy to find used, and because they don't have "urban appeal" are usually cheaper. Glocks and M&P are good to go, or a 1911 in a full size configuration will work just fine, provided that you practice the manual of arms consistently. Revolvers are Ok for a first pistol, but the MOA is more complex, and it takes practice to get good with a speed loader or strip under time pressure (Jerry Miculek notwithstanding). Stay away from Kel-tecs and hi-points.

The big mistake I made with my first pistol was that I couldn't afford to feed it- and because it was a magnum revolver, I developed a nasty flinch that took a lot of practice to eliminate.
There's nothing wrong with kel-tecs...

Might want to look at a Sig. P226--MK25--9MM. My son just got one for his first gun, it's nice and affordable to shoot. I actually like it more than the XDM.
If you really want a magnum revolver look around for a Colt Python--357M. That pistol is a class act.
My favorite overall is a 1911. Again Sig. makes some nice ones as does Kimber, and you could look at Les Baer.
Sig is a bit expensive for a first gun.

Sig makes a pretty expensive 1911. Kimber I don't recommend (they're NOT as good as they should be for the price), and Les Baer is far far too expensive...

I also don't like revolvers for many reasons. There isn't any advantage to them and there's a hell of a lot of disadvantages to them...

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Sig makes a pretty expensive 1911. Kimber I don't recommend (they're NOT as good as they should be for the price), and Les Baer is far far too expensive...

I also don't like revolvers for many reasons. There isn't any advantage to them and there's a hell of a lot of disadvantages to them...
I guess expensive is relative to what you're after. MK 25 is a little under $1100. but the P226 platform is very solid. When you get into the P226x5 or x6PPC then it gets expensive, but they are great rides.

I mentioned Kimber but I have to agree with you on price=quality.

I really like shooting a Les Baer, there is a difference.

As far as a revolver, a Colt Python, not as a first, not as a daily--but fun to shoot and good to collect.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Well truthfully it depends on how much you want to spend. Taurus isn't the best in the quality department. I ended up getting a Springfield xdm .45, my brother got a Ruger Super Redhawk .44mag. When you buy your gun, be sure you can afford the bullets. If you are looking for affordability then neither of these rounds would be a good choice. Best of luck on your search.
Shot a Super RH here at the range, the owner was a bit of a meathead and used to blast away at Chinese food containers scattered around the range, you only had to get within a few inches and the container jumped in the air carried up by the dirt....

I had broken my middle finger on my left hand so had trouble with my grip but still got an amazing group on my target, oddly I'm a bit crap when using a .22...

Same day a Rabbit ran across all 15 Bays of the range... EVERYONE unloaded everything they had..... and missed :D

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Shot a Super RH here at the range, the owner was a bit of a meathead and used to blast away at Chinese food containers scattered around the range, you only had to get within a few inches and the container jumped in the air carried up by the dirt....

I had broken my middle finger on my left hand so had trouble with my grip but still got an amazing group on my target, oddly I'm a bit crap when using a .22...

Same day a Rabbit ran across all 15 Bays of the range... EVERYONE unloaded everything they had..... and missed :D
Didn't know you had rabbits in Au. The joys of shooting outside, but rabbits with a 44mag.? You left handed?

If you ever get state side I have a S&W .22 model 41, 7"barrel compensated that you can go to school on.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Right handed Fred, Always shoot 2 handed with heavy loads ;)
(gumby version of a Weaver stance)

Almost didn't take the guy up on his offer because of the finger and the amount of pain it was causing, figured WTF when would I get another chance!!

I was shooting a .38 special when he opened up, entire range shook so I looked down the bays and it was like the scene in RoboCop... everyone stopped, went over for a chat and that's when he offered me the gun!

Shot a lot of .22 just don't seem to be as accurate as I am with larger calibers..

Used to go every second weekend with the ex GF's grandfather to the Military barracks near his place.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Right handed Fred, Always shoot 2 handed with heavy loads ;)
(gumby version of a Weaver stance)

Almost didn't take the guy up on his offer because of the finger and the amount of pain it was causing, figured WTF when would I get another chance!!

I was shooting a .38 special when he opened up, entire range shook so I looked down the bays and it was like the scene in RoboCop... everyone stopped, went over for a chat and that's when he offered me the gun!

Shot a lot of .22 just don't seem to be as accurate as I am with larger calibers..

Used to go every second weekend with the ex GF's grandfather to the Military barracks near his place.
Only thing we used to shoot with a 44. was an old ice box behind a farm house back in Indiana--a long time ago.

These days been averaging about 3 days a week at an indoor range fairly close to home. My wife's new hobby along with racquet ball and aerobics. She is good! Doesn't like a 45. but handles her 9MM pistols very well.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Much prefer an auto to a wheel gun, as the guys noted earlier in the thread it's all about finding the "right" gun and not buying something because it looks "cool"...

And it takes practice to get "good" if you can't afford to shoot you'll never be good so expensive ammo is out unless you're rich, a buddy had a 30.06 with a nice scope that had only ever been bore sighted cos he was too tight to tweak the scope... :nono: 5 rounds and it was done... tightass

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
Authorized Seller
Desert Eagle because it's bad-ass and cool. The name is terrifying. You wouldn't even need to take it anywhere, just limited edition T-shirt's advertising that you own one.

Otherwise a 9mm Glock, Light weight for when I'm jacking dollar bills on foot, cops use them. Cheap I imagine.

But the main argument for a Glock is because this guy has one and he looks like a solid dude.

Authorized Seller
^who needs a bedroom set with an arsenal like that to turn the women on... sexy time

would have to be something classy, timeless, reliable;

1911 .45

because canadians cannot have the double stacks (my understanding...)

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
Authorized Seller
^who needs a bedroom set with an arsenal like that to turn the women on... sexy time
For a guy showcasing guns in his underpants he actually turned out to be really.............. dangerous. Strange, he looks so trustworthy, I guess I just can't see the signs.

Bet his Mom is 100lbs of ground meat in the freezer.

That gun above is BEAUTIFUL, You'd never want to use it. It's like jewelry. Unbelievable looks. Do you have any write up's on it, what it is, who made it, specs, etc...

because canadians cannot have the double stacks (my understanding...)
Not familiar with "Double Stacks". Do you mean a configuration of the DE?

Who's going to stop me if I have the Desert Eagle? I would love a replica of the gun hang it on the wall and look at it all day. I wonder what the weight is, heavy anyway. I wonder if I could lift it. I had heard that the DE Kick back isn't as bad as the gun would have you believe.

Tango_hotel

serial thread killer
Authorized Seller

My experience with kel-tec has been less than stellar, but it's only an opinion. I've shot several, they all had FTE and FTF problems, and they were finicky about ammo. I agree about revolvers, for a defensive gun they have a lot of drawbacks.

T3rril79

Authorized Seller
I have seen several people become quite proficient with wheel guns after training with the weapon. There may be a few drawback but non that can't be compensated for. But that's just my opinion.

Poodles

I play with fire
Authorized Seller
Contributor
My experience with kel-tec has been less than stellar, but it's only an opinion. I've shot several, they all had FTE and FTF problems, and they were finicky about ammo. I agree about revolvers, for a defensive gun they have a lot of drawbacks.
About the only issues I've heard for kel-tec is actually getting the weapons (they can't seem to make enough) and they have odd setups that can cause issues (like accidently ejecting the mag because the button is in an odd spot).

I have seen several people become quite proficient with wheel guns after training with the weapon. There may be a few drawback but non that can't be compensated for. But that's just my opinion.
Some people consider wheel guns more reliable. That was shot down way back in 1911... Main issues with revolvers in general are alignment issues with the cylinder and barrel, and the gap (they throw shit out the sides). Main issues for carry are thickness, capacity, and reloading.

Oh, and the Desert Eagle is a POS. Don't get me started on it...

CTsupra

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Not familiar with "Double Stacks".
Double stack refers to how many rounds the magazine carries. A 1911 carries seven rounds of .45acp in the magazine, but a double stack 1911 carries 14 rounds in the magazine. Thus, the grip will become much larger and fill the hand. Basically, any firearm magazine that doesn't carry its rounds straight up and down is considered a double stacked weapon. Rounds are staggered and numerous, lol.

Chose your first weapon to your lifestyle, body shape and wardrobe. You're going to have to dress around your firearm. This usually means a size or two larger pants and shirt. Don't expect to wear a tight pink polo with a popped collar. Be smart about it.

Satan

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Agree w/those who've recommended to go play w/a few before deciding. I bought a VERY inexpensive 9mm, just to have around the house/car. Nothing I will miss tremendously if lost/stolen. Was in USMC for 10 years and am comfortable, but w/little kids would never have one in the house (seen too many accidents).

Anyways, really figure out what you want (practice, home defense, cool-guy-braggin', whatever). In my case, I found something for less than $200 (less than $150 online) that met my needs. I mentioned it on SF and got slammed by the aficionado/collectors. Took it to the range and put thru it's paces and not bad at all (250+ rounds with the recommended ammo = no issues... used non-recommended ammo and had 1 misfire... The bullet had a pin mark but did not fire. Put back in and fired the second time I tried it). Kinda heavy, but manageable.

The great discovery was that at the range they had dozens of guns you could rent. Buy a yearly membership and all of them were only $6 to rent. Took the family, rented a few and still kept my cheapo. I am glad I made my choice and it serves its purpose. If I need to use it, I am confident it will do the job. I may buy a couple of others, just to plant in strategic places. If I get more into it, I may consider other options... collectibles and names that make others jealous, but am good for now.

Good luck!!

7Matt-GE

Authorized Seller
i would like a HK23 .45 socom if i could afford it.

[video=youtube;mn5l4wLov7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn5l4wLov7k[/video]

I own one of these, though i inherited it.

LAR Grizzly 50 Cal...
[video=youtube;VQPfClI7S4o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQPfClI7S4o&feature=related[/video]

I do NOT keep this in my house...i keep it up north with other things i don't want to talk about :)

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Who's going to stop me if I have the Desert Eagle? I would love a replica of the gun hang it on the wall and look at it all day. I wonder what the weight is, heavy anyway. I wonder if I could lift it. I had heard that the DE Kick back isn't as bad as the gun would have you believe.
Heavy as sin, friend has one and it is around 10lb loaded.

Oh, and the Desert Eagle is a POS. Don't get me started on it...
I'll take the bait, how so? Because most owners don't maintain them between shooting it 1 or 2 times a year because they need a bigger boom?

Op, nothing wrong with polymer guns. My glock was my first purchase because I shot it well, the price is fantastic and they are crazy easy to maintain.

Poodles

I play with fire
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The DE is huge, heavy, and isn't reliable. Having a floating magazine is just one of it's faults.

Not to mention it's dumb as anything other than a range gun. At least the big revolvers can be used for hunting...

It was basicly built as a "we can do it" gun, and not for real use.

Now the baby eagles...

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Authorized Seller
Contributor
It needs to be big and heavy, you don't see a light weight version of the s&w .500 do you? The mass and energy created by such a large round dictates a large pistol. Who cares if it is a range toy? You don't see the vast majority of ar15 owners using the for hunting do you?

CTsupra

Authorized Seller
Contributor
AR15 has low recoil and makes a good home defense gun though :)
Yeah, as long as you're using a suppressor, lol.

Ballistic tips and hollow points will cut down on penetration worries even though .223/5.56 tumbles pretty well vs. wallboard and doesn't penetrate as much as one would think.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Yeah, as long as you're using a suppressor, lol.
Frankly, if I have to use a weapon for self defense, I think I would WANT people to know. Wouldn't have to make the call to the morgue myself. :p

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
AR15 has low recoil and makes a good home defense gun though :)
AR15 is a hell of a long way from "What would your 1st hand gun be?". As far as home defense, look at a Kel Tec KSG, although pretty hard to find.
Another thought for the op, look at a Sig P220 Equinox--45ACP.