What has the world come to!!!!

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Here's my rant. If you have any virus not just the COVID-19 just stay the hell home. The world can still spin without you. Your not that special that everyone in the world wants to see you. And there should have been a travel ban world wide. No one allowed in or out no matter citizen or not. You gave up your rights as soon as you travel to a area of infection. I realized the impact today as stores are running out of products. It is a scary the impact this is causing. Stock market is being impacted, schools are shutting down, hell here in houston the tolls are not accepting cash to help reduce the spread of the virus. And of course the media is making things worst then it should be. DAMN YOU CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YotedmyMA70

Authorized Seller
This whole thing is just BS media hype. The virus itself only kills less than 1% of people, most of whom are already unhealthy. It’s the economic consequences of media scares and the market’s reliance on Chinese production that will hurt more people. On the bright side, hopefully non essential items (car parts) will become cheaper.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
I guess the upside to this is it would be a great time to invest in the stock market. I haven't been keeping an eye on the housing market, wonder if it has been falling as well?

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Here is an article that collects and summarizes a lot of data on COVID-19. Well worth reading if you want to be informed. One key point, the death rate varies a lot depending on how well prepared your country is.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I guess the upside to this is it would be a great time to invest in the stock market. I haven't been keeping an eye on the housing market, wonder if it has been falling as well?
I set up a Robinhood account today. I suspect a lot of these hard drops will rise back, at least partly, in a very short period of time.

This panic is over-the-top, but I do hope all the efforts to work from home, shut down big gatherings, etc... slows the spread enough that this all fizzles out real quick.

It also may shine some light into how our economy can still function with a large number of folks working remotely. My current job function doesn't need an office presence whatsoever. Yet, I spend 4 days a week commuting for an hour each day to go sit at a desk and eat up office space just so that my company feels like things are "as they should be."

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I set up a Robinhood account today. I suspect a lot of these hard drops will rise back, at least partly, in a very short period of time.
I been picking up shares here and there like a chicken picking up bread crumbs lol. That is one good thing about dividend investing as long as you invest in solid dividend paying companies with good history, then you can ride out the dips or bear markets. To name few of my favorite tickers for these type of markets are .JNJ, MCD, MMM and WM.

I do see earnings being affected for a lot of bigger well known companies with all of the shut downs so I am also going to be picking up more shares into later this year too.

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Everyone has their own strategy but unless you are a day trader, dividend investing can be a good way to get started. I would just tell you never go all in the markets with your money and always keep money on the sidelines ready for sales and dips (like how it has been now).

In housing it's been a good sellers market. The mortgage rates have been droping again, more foreclosures popping up and I have noticed home prices for the last year being flat or coming back down in my area. Sold homes and home prices are different in all areas but if you can find foreclosures on Zillow/Realtor or properties on Homepath you can usually can find a good deal. Multi family homes are good for what they call house hacking too. I am closing on a property this Monday that will be used for a rental once I rehab it. Are you looking to buy or sell a house or looking to find possible rentals?

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
My wife runs a Jewel-Osco. Humanity is scary, not the sickness. The things she has witnessed already would blow a rational person's mind. I just worry for her safety at some point, because again, people act insane.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Authorized Seller
This whole thing is just BS media hype. The virus itself only kills less than 1% of people, most of whom are already unhealthy.
True. Just like with every organization (including religious organizations) their number 1 interests are to themselves and the community / society is less of a priority.
In this case, the media doesn't care how their panic alarm is going to affect the others outside of their bubble.

...EDIT: 5 days later
When I initially wrote that....it was a whole different reality. In just 5 days everything has changed so much! (Including my [and so many others'] grasp of the whole situation.
So much change in such a short amount of time with so much to consider and think about....maybe the best thing to do is a great deal of research first...it still is true that the media likes to hype things up and that there is a lot of media manipulation.
/EDIT...

I'm a landlord and have been wondering if and how this will affect me. I live in a state that is ever so sympathetic to tenants and loves to show off how much they hate landlords. So the government has no problem--in so many ways--of helping people rip me off while throwing me out of my building if they don't get their tax money (which I should not even have to pay since I don't have or want kids: school taxes).
"Housing is a human right"--unless you own your own house, then the government has no problem throwing you out if you don't keep up on the ransom.

Democrats come to my house wanting to get my vote or signature....democrat no more!
Why would I support someone that constantly wonders how to hate on me?
Can't stand the republicans just as much--wouldn't want anyone thinking that I support them! heh

Oh...I also don't shake hands with people. Needlessly gambling my health for nothing makes no sense to me. Bad hygiene! Stupid followers won't stop this stupid tradition even if it can be fatal.
Etiquette should be doing the most considerate thing possible; not following along with stupid traditions blindly.
To intellectuals, asking someone to needlessly gamble their health away for no reason and no gain should be considered rude.
Unfortunately though, the anti-intellectuals seem to keep this stupid tradition going having it their way.

Edit in italics

Last edited:

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
For some weird reason as I'm thinking about the chaos in the world today I'm thinking of this song.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Down down the market goes.
I'm with Ryon on this one, going to pile in a bunch of money when the market finally hits bottom.
That won't be for at least another few weeks at the rate it's going.

Need to offset some of the losses this year somehow.
I'm approaching -30% down on pretty much everything I have currently.
Stock markets are at December 2016 levels right now.

It's going to be a rough ride ahead.
The people that are, or wanted to retire this year or next year are making some tough decisions.

This will be an interesting time written down for future history lessons.

Reactions: plaaya69

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Down down the market goes.
I'm with Ryon on this one, going to pile in a bunch of money when the market finally hits bottom.
That won't be for at least another few weeks at the rate it's going.

Need to offset some of the losses this year somehow.
I'm approaching -30% down on pretty much everything I have currently.
Stock markets are at December 2016 levels right now.

It's going to be a rough ride ahead.
The people that are, or wanted to retire this year or next year are making some tough decisions.

This will be an interesting time written down for future history lessons.
I haven't even checked, but my retirement is probably down the same. It's all funny money for the next 30 years anyways, so I don't bother keeping up with it.

I'm very curious to see exactly how this plays out in American politics. Is Trump going to go down in a ball of fire after a large number of American deaths? Is Biden going to get the dem nomination and give it all away to Trump because Biden seems to be deep in dimentia? Is my employer finally going to realize me driving an hour a day into an office to sit in a cube on conference calls and run data analytics is unnecessary?

Interesting times.

Reactions: YotedmyMA70

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
I actually got out way back when, on the first initial drop because I knew it was going to be bad and started shorting. I did quite well considering. I honestly think markets are going ultra-low. I wouldn't be surprised if we see 16000 or less! Shits gonna get real bad soon, with 3.8 million out of work it's going to go beserk

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yup. It's gonna get crazy.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
I actually got out way back when, on the first initial drop because I knew it was going to be bad and started shorting. I did quite well considering. I honestly think markets are going ultra-low. I wouldn't be surprised if we see 16000 or less! Shits gonna get real bad soon, with 3.8 million out of work it's going to go beserk
When you say quite well, are we talking hundreds or thousands?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Shit is gonna hit the fan soon.