What do you do?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
I'm just curious to know what our members do for a living...
When this place was hopping, we had a very well rounded pool of expertise to pull from. Wondering how it is today.

I'll start...
I changed careers five years ago and opened an auto-repair shop. Six months ago I opened a second repair shop and a detail shop.

So, what do you do?

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Retired data analyst and database administrator with over 30 years experience equally divided between federal military and commercial employers. Co-founder Oracle users group in the ‘80s, and AWS Users Group in San Diego in 2014.

Microprocessor hobbyist since the 70s, and a big fan of IoT this century.

YotedmyMA70

Authorized Seller
I do high voltage electrical testing and maintenance for a NETA accredited company. I’ve only been with them just over a year now since I’m still pretty fresh out of community college.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I think he meant it explains a lot about your posts, always very detailed and interesting to read.

I'm a Mechanical Engineering Technologist, for ~14 years now. I work for a naval architect, we primarily design yachts but also some commercial, with my job primarily specializing in interior fabrication. So lots of 3D modeling, Autocad drawings, etc.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
Repair shop GM, former Chevy Tech
How long as a shop owner?

Prior to being a shop owner, I was Biomedical Technician that took a career turn and ended up being an expert witness in malpractice law suits. Got tired of the travel and seeing people paralyzed because of negligence.

On a lighter note. I love being a shop owner. Never a dull moment!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I joined the forum as a college student working retail, barely able to afford to keep my NA Supra running. Funny to think how much has changed. Now....

Mechanical Engineer by degree. 11 years working as mech/manufacturing engineer. Spent two years working at Taser (best career experience I could have asked for) and realized how soul-crushing normal corporate engineering is for me. Watching co-workers (including the president and CEO) get Tased for fun, and being tased myself, in front of the entire company in a coliseum-style HQ atrium was more fun than I thought you could have at work. Upon completing a big project, the engineering manager bought a nice bottle of scotch for the team to share. 6-figure Christmas parties straight out of the movies. Just unreal. Left Taser due to family geography and our own new child and the beginning of the end of traditional work began...

Now, my side gigs are the real dream. I design, fabricate and sell parts through YotaMD and Air Down Gear Up. As of last year I was able to justify a legitimate license for premium Solidworks in my personal name (those that know the price of that will understand the significance), industrial/enterprise carbon fiber 3D printer and soon to be industrial CNC router at home. Perhaps all that will move into a separate industrial shop soon enough.

I *could* pull the escape cord now and quit day job, but that's more risk than I want at the moment. I'd love to restore mk3 Supras to a level not done by anyone else (yet). All I need is time and little more savings.... :)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
So, I'm seeing a trend here. Supras attract engineers! :)

I was in WSU's EE program at one point. I wanted to build on my electronics degree. I took a job as a "Test Engineer" in the Seattle area at a company called Mackie. Was the best job ever! Being a musician and having a love for the work I did, it was a match made in heaven! I designed test fixtures that line technicians used to test and repair various pieces of pro-audio equipment. After two years of engineering work, I decided that it wasn't for me. At least not in the 40 hour week format...

I moved back to the east side of the state and opened a Pro-Audio repair shop. Loved it! After that, went back to school and then landed the biomedical job mentioned above. There I wore many hats, but on the side innovated a few of their pieces of biomedical equipment. I still have my hands in a few projects. So, still designing, just not clocking in 8-5 to do it.

Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
So, I'm seeing a trend here. Supras attract engineers! :)

I was in WSU's EE program at one point. I wanted to build on my electronics degree. I took a job as a "Test Engineer" in the Seattle area at a company called Mackie. Was the best job ever! Being a musician and having a love for the work I did, it was a match made in heaven! I designed test fixtures that line technicians used to test and repair various pieces of pro-audio equipment. After two years of engineering work, I decided that it wasn't for me. At least not in the 40 hour week format...

I moved back to the east side of the state and opened a Pro-Audio repair shop. Loved it! After that, went back to school and then landed the biomedical job mentioned above. There I wore many hats, but on the side innovated a few of their pieces of biomedical equipment. I still have my hands in a few projects. So, still designing, just not clocking in 8-5 to do it.
Supras attract pilots.

Seriously. How many of us are pilots. I am, although, not current, I'm licensed. First flew solo in 1964.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Supras attract pilots.

Seriously. How many of us are pilots. I am, although, not current, I'm licensed. First flew solo in 1964.
On the short list of my aspirations. Until covid revealed that my wife and I actually need more social interaction than we previously thought, I was eyeing airstrip properties a ways away from big cities. I'd still like to pursue it, but we now realize we'll need to *not* live in bumf*ck, Wyoming. Need more money in that piggy bank to get a decent airstrip property near a collection of normal people - otherwise known as a "city". Haha.

• Haha
Reactions: debrucer

Hey.Friend

Authorized Seller
Active duty Navy. I’ve learned most of my lessons from breaking a part and then having to fix it during a deployment. Working on mk45 gun mounts and other weapons systems taught me a lot about reading diagrams and working on proximity switches, solenoids and hydraulically and pnuematically operated systems.
Now that I’m off of ships for a while I spend most of my time teaching people how to shoot small arms weapons. I also teach the use of force continuum and the use of deadly force criteria among other things.
After all this time it’s nice to work-on my car in my free time and learn from all of you. The knowledge in here is crazy.

Last edited:

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
Fund accounting oversight for a large financial firm, specifically Mutual Funds and ETFs. This adds zero value when it comes to the Supra. Everything I know about MK3s is a direct result of this forum and simply doing and asking questions.