What do I do with this gas tank?

kueves87

Authorized Seller
So i'm in the process of a big ground up rebuild on my 87, and i just pulled the gas tank for the first time ever... and i gotta be honest its not pretty inside. This car as been sitting for literally 10 years so the fuel is disgusting and the pump has what looks to be literal barnacles on it lol... What can i do to revamp this tank to clean it out and make sure whatever evolved inside it gets thoroughly cleaned out? FYI i did find a site selling brand new oem tanks https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/parts-list/1987-toyota-supra/fuel-tank-tube.html but they're 500 bucks... seems like i can get it cleaned out for less than that but maybe im wrong... any suggestions?

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
drain it and clean it, or have it cleaned. Toss the pump in the garbage and buy an upgraded pump like a Walbro, deatschwerks, AEM, etc. You could sandblast/walnut blast the stock hanger to clean it up too. Unless the tank is rusty, then I don't see the need to replace it. Repaint the outside while you have it out of the car too.

majestic47

Authorized Seller
I pulled out handfuls of grit from my gas tank. Was pretty gross. Tried cleaning it myself but ended up taking it to a radiator shop for cleaning. Got it sealed too. I forget exactly how much I paid, but I also got the tank welded because it had a puncture. Maybe less than $200? Call some radiator shops, not everybody does it. Also, pull all of the parts off and give them JUST the tank. You don't want something critical to get misplaced.

I gambled and decided to keep the same fuel pump. Just needed to change that filter on it. Runs like a champ!

Also, my EVAP line was completely clogged which caused WAAAY too much pressure in my tank. May have been from the grit in the tank, even though there's that float valve.

majestic47

Authorized Seller
If you decide to go for a new tank, watch how much the shipping price jumps up your total on toyotapartsdeal before you finish your order.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Authorized Seller
a do it your self trick is to get cement mixer throw a pile of nuts and bolt in the tank with some fresh gas fresh gas plug the holes toss it in cement mixer/ strap it on if it doesn't fit and she will clean up pretty good never tried it with supra tank

topguncam3888

Authorized Seller
If it's really bad, I'd try what majestic suggested. If it's not quite that bad, open up all the "holes", like the one for the fuel pump and vent valve. There's about 3 or 4 if my memory serves me correctly. Then take that thing and pressure wash the heck out of it. Really get it in there. It helps if you have a wand that is short or flexible, not like those at a self serve car wash. Of course drain the crap first. The pressure washer might put pin holes in it, but that's good. It won't blow through good steel but it will through the rust where a hole already it just waiting to go the extra step. This way you can more easily identify if it does have pinholes. A hot water washer does even better. This will let you know where you stand with the tank if nothing else. I did this with an old Corolla tank filled with sludge and sulfur. Worked well for me anyways.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I paid a radiator shop about $200 to "clean and seal" my tank. They cleaned and painted the outside and refused to seal the inside claiming that the baffles were done in such a way that there was a risk of some sort... and I went along with them... knowing they had a good reputation... I trusted them, but I was never really sure as to why. It's clean and it doesn't leak.

I have a tank sitting in tucson from a 1988 parts car acquired a few years back. If your info is correct, you are more than willing to take a look at it. had some old gas in it, but when i pulled it a couple weeks ago it still looked good inside.