What did you do to your supra today? Pics

A70nut

Authorized Seller
After 10 months of sitting, I finally got the motor and transmission back out of the car. 1000 miles after the rebuild and i got some kind of slow knock. It was RPM related, but didn't sound as fast as a rod knock usually would. Compression and oil pressure were fine. No metal in the oil at all. Going to do some more digging this evening.
View attachment 82895
If it's a slow knock sounds valve train related as it moves half speed of the bottom end.

Reactions: debrucer

A70nut

Authorized Seller
It seems that by memory I have read something before that thanks to the pickup and oiling design on a 7m the number 2 rod bearing is the first to spin? Any other signs of oil starvation?

suprajim54

Authorized Seller
It seems that by memory I have read something before that thanks to the pickup and oiling design on a 7m the number 2 rod bearing is the first to spin? Any other signs of oil starvation?
No other signs that's I've seen so far. Gonna do some more digging into it this weekend. Part of me just wants to run emery cloth over the journal, replace bearings and drop it back in for now. This motor has been bored .040 over, so I don't think the block has any more rebuilds left in it. It was purchased cheap ($500) from someone that said all the proper work had been done during rebuild, but he never put it in his car or started it (lost his job and ran out of money). Probe pistons, Eagle Rods and ARP hardware were in it, so I just assumed it was all good. I was doing an auto to R154 swap last year, so I decided to drop this engine in at the same time. All was fine for the first 1,000 miles, until it wasn't.

I'm not giving up on the 7M just yet. I've got another motor on the garage floor that I can rebuild, too. Maybe once I pay off my Tacoma, I'll start looking at JZ swaps.

Reactions: debrucer

suprajim54

Authorized Seller
I pulled off #5 rod cap to see what size bearings were on the crank. I found a sliver of metal was starting to eat into that bearing too.
IMG_20200214_125616.jpg
Oil pump looked ok internally and i dont see metal anywhere but the bottom end. But it did have some stuff on the pickup screen.
20200213_202224.jpg
20200213_173902.jpg
I'm gonna pull the crank out this weekend and see if i can take it to a shop to get cleaned, polished and sized for bearings.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
This scares the hell out of me :( since I think I've done all the right stuff on my engine rebuild. I'm talking over years. This looks to me like a case of somebody not cleaning their block after machine work... not pulling all the right plugs...

Here's a post with a lot of good tips... including one about trapped, hidden metal shavings....

Here's a link http://www.supramania.com/forum/threads/7m-assembly-tips.5631/

suprajim54

Authorized Seller
I can't find metal anywhere but the bottom end, but the rod and main bearings were all showing some scoring. Here's the rod bearings and journals.
IMG_20200214_191836.jpg IMG_20200214_191307.jpg
Mains (minus #4, couldnt get cap off easily) #5 has some metal on the journal
IMG_20200214_222720.jpg
Maybe there wasn't enough assembly lube used during the rebuild or it dried up while it sat for a year after i bought it? Last year, i pulled off the pan and installed a new oil pump shimmed with washers, AZ oil line and resealed the pan. I guess i should've inspected it closer.

BTW, I hope you guys don't mind me posting here. I don't want to clog up the thread, but figure any action on the forum is welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: YotedmyMA70