What did you do to your supra today? Pics

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Not today but yesterday... piddling around trying to get the right studs, nuts and bolts to put her back together. Ended up powder coating the exhaust manifold because it goes back on first. It's gloss black. Next was the turbo heat shield which I may not use in the end, but for today, it was powder coat. "Black Chrome". It looks sort-of all-right, not sure the color came out how it should have. My oven is for small pieces, when I do these, it's in front of two 1000 degree gas heaters... standing there with an infra-red thermometer, trying to hit 400 all over :) Not easy.

turbo-cover-black-chrome.jpg 7mgte-r154-09152019.jpg ex-manifold-powder-coated-too.jpg

I have all the Harbor Freight colors and three or four custom colors from Eastwood, but I'm trying not to go crazy on the colors, much prefer a good finish to a colorful one. Not much experience with powder coating, wonder if something like this turbo shield will continue to change as heat is applied. They warn you not to use an oven for eating after powder coating because the powder re-activates when you heat it...

This car has been apart for several years. All the original nuts and bolts were caught in containers based on their function. I also took went to Fastenall and purchased quantity of everything we could identify with the hoped goal of all new hardware. I still find myself at the local Ace Hardware regularly getting this or that. Little things like the upgraded exhaust studs. There never were any nuts for them. Ace. See you tomorrow.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Not today but yesterday... piddling around trying to get the right studs, nuts and bolts to put her back together. Ended up powder coating the exhaust manifold because it goes back on first. It's gloss black. Next was the turbo heat shield which I may not use in the end, but for today, it was powder coat. "Black Chrome". It looks sort-of all-right, not sure the color came out how it should have. My oven is for small pieces, when I do these, it's in front of two 1000 degree gas heaters... standing there with an infra-red thermometer, trying to hit 400 all over :) Not easy.

View attachment 82253 View attachment 82254 View attachment 82255

I have all the Harbor Freight colors and three or four custom colors from Eastwood, but I'm trying not to go crazy on the colors, much prefer a good finish to a colorful one. Not much experience with powder coating, wonder if something like this turbo shield will continue to change as heat is applied. They warn you not to use an oven for eating after powder coating because the powder re-activates when you heat it...

This car has been apart for several years. All the original nuts and bolts were caught in containers based on their function. I also took went to Fastenall and purchased quantity of everything we could identify with the hoped goal of all new hardware. I still find myself at the local Ace Hardware regularly getting this or that. Little things like the upgraded exhaust studs. There never were any nuts for them. Ace. See you tomorrow.
Very cool! I had a good source for JIS fasteners (the style Toyota uses with a flange hex head), but some of them dulled very quickly in the engine bay.

Are you using normal hex head with a washer or did you find bolts with the integrated flange?

Powder coating looks great to me. Hard to make that heat shield much worse than normal. I'd say it's a huge improvement.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Very cool! I had a good source for JIS fasteners (the style Toyota uses with a flange hex head), but some of them dulled very quickly in the engine bay.

Are you using normal hex head with a washer or did you find bolts with the integrated flange?

Powder coating looks great to me. Hard to make that heat shield much worse than normal. I'd say it's a huge improvement.
Spent 30 minutes at the hardware store before asking for help, only to find nothing. Even with help, and a friendly customer, we found nothing. I didn't specifically check the American sizes, but my one sample nut only fit 12 MM thread, didn't come close on 7/16;

The studs are from the 7/16 upgrade kit from Drift Motion. The find thread end of the studs is 12 mm x 1.25 pitch.

If it proves to be 12 mm 1.25 pitch. DM sells those nuts as "motor mount nuts", and they have an integrated lip.

Thanks, yeas, powder coating is nice. I had sand blasted and left the surface a bit rough because I didn't think it'd ever fit my non-stock turbo... hit it with the powder and finished in about an hour. Not as easy as a can of spray paint, but should be more durable.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Spent 30 minutes at the hardware store before asking for help, only to find nothing. Even with help, and a friendly customer, we found nothing. I didn't specifically check the American sizes, but my one sample nut only fit 12 MM thread, didn't come close on 7/16;

The studs are from the 7/16 upgrade kit from Drift Motion. The find thread end of the studs is 12 mm x 1.25 pitch.

If it proves to be 12 mm 1.25 pitch. DM sells those nuts as "motor mount nuts", and they have an <snip>
Aaron responded:

7/16-20 fine thread Stover locking nuts

I’ve got 50 coming Thursday, so there are spares for the asking.

David

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The hardware from disassembly was kept in sealed cups since 2006/2007
IMG_0301.JPG

Yesterday was lubricate and clean day for remaining hardware
IMG_0718.JPG

Back in that day, everything was measured and minimum quantities ordered from Fastenall. Every attempt was made to replace hardware, and the rule was to throw away the original hardware as it was replaced. So, in theory, I should have no extra stuff when I'm done :)

I searched for hours for the following picture, ended up consolidating over 25,000 photos before finding this one. The cylinder head is on the bench, the bottom shelf is full of new hardware, and there's a board across the wall with all the sizes epoxied to the board. Not too anal.

88SupraTurbo (90).JPG

There was a rationale, as the inventory was covered with a board and stuff stacked on top... it was handy to know, yeah, I've got that, it's worth spending ten minutes to dig in there to get one :)

Seriously, the garage is cramped. Got to get this car on the street, I so need the space. I just saw the video of the garage walk-thru, it was dated April 4, 2013. I've been in this commercial garage over six years... paying for the landlords kids to go to college.

It's really time to get this finished. I keep stumbling, but I keep going. After Aaron from Drift Motion gave me the exhaust stud size, I got what I needed and discovered that the sample stud I'd been carrying around had a buggered thread. That's why I couldn't find anything to fit. Ran a die across the thread, and yeah, the studs are 7/16-20 (USS, not metric). I've got 7 nuts now and 43 spares :)

Been playing with hardware for a few days now and feel obligated to make occasional nut jokes, Anybody? lol

Tomorrow it's time to pull out the hard-pipes and figure out the the routing to the intercooler. Somewhere in there I have to build an aluminum box for the driving light. I'm using the stock intercooler that was cleaned and pressure tested years ago. If and when I really get this running, I will no doubt upgrade to a better unit. Need to get her running without too many more $300 upgrades.

That's it for today. Good night!

Reactions: loc182

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Swapped out my steering rack this weekend and found a nasty surprise.
Hoping I can get it welded so I don't have to drop the front subframe :confused:

IMG_20191005_143329_2.jpg IMG_20191005_143424_2.jpg

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yeah could be welded.
The hardest part of that is going to be the prep work in a tight space.
Oil/grease/paint contamination removal.
Grinding to good clean metal.
I would recommend TIG welding for something like that, will give very good heat / depth and bead control.

Justin727

T-virus infected
Authorized Seller
Installed the Arizona Performance BBK on my MK3. The car hadn't had fresh brakes on in... 10 years? Going from worn and tired brakes to this 4 piston setup was unreal. (Not done today, but uploaded within the last week)

-Nick
This a very well put together video. Very professionally done. Nice work

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
This was last weekend, but I finally installed the Eibachs. Now I am looking for something that is midway between stock and the Eibachs in both ride height and stiffness :p

TooLow.jpg

Reactions: XofXtimeX

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I like that stand. Need to hook up some fuel and battery power so you can break it in and tune it before it goes in the Supra ;)

• Love
Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I like that stand. Need to hook up some fuel and battery power so you can break it in and tune it before it goes in the Supra ;)
Thank you, and yes, I want to run it on the stand. There is still a lot of work to be one on the Speeduino ECU, all the sensors and wiring, etc. It's been six or seven months since the head was put on, and the valves haven't been adjusted yet either. I try to do each step as properly as I can, but, still, you never know, did you get everything right? Also, did other things, like the media blaster, or the metal fabrication, cause contamination. The engine is usually covered, sometimes in a big plastic bag, but, I still worry. It's got to run on the stand.

Last edited:
Reactions: plaaya69

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
... <snip> The engine is usually covered, sometimes in a big plastic bag, but, I still worry. It's got to run on the stand.
@plaaya69 Got to thinking about that... running on the stand... and shooting in that direction, the things I'd have to do. My oil pump was modified and primed with grease, but, there's still no oil in the crankcase. There are still holes for various things, turbo oil return, etc. When the machine work was done the tolerances were set to use synthetic 20-50, 2 gallons of Castorol on the shelf. I added one and had two oil leaks. The simple one was the drain plug, it was never tightened. The other was the oil pan, one of the four bolts on the timing gear/end plate.

With three different sets of extractors, I started workings, and I managed to bung up everything. Long story short, assembled the hoist and put the engine/trans on it, unbolted the transmission and put it back on a trans stand, removed the pressure plate/clutch and flywheel, and put the engine back on the engine stand. etc.

It was a very long day, well, ten hours. The car is apart with un-tagged nuts and bolts thrown on the table, a very unpleasant feeling in my mind. Sitting here watching The Voice and mentioned to my son this "apart feeling", and he says, if it's any consequence, that's how I think about your car all the time.

I'm too old for this shit :)

Reactions: SupraSpooler

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I know how you feel.
I am holding off multiple modifications to mine.
Though my problem is total lack of time...well more than 20 min stretches.
The fun of taking care of children...
It forces you to do things very quick and efficient.

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Was in the middle of installing the afpr and found out Driftmotion sent me the wrong fitting with the afpr kit...
M14 instead of the m12.

Talked to Aaron and turns out I had a some confusion about the selection drop down.
He's going to send a new fitting so I can get this finished.
IMG_20191020_144852.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
This has been waiting for months now. Finally cut it to fit and did this test with a visible nylon tie. I’ll be epoxy-ing those squares normally stuck with tape behind the bumper for the final look.
8F9C0C52-26C1-4869-9B12-5F750A41A9CE.png

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
i did my halloween setup
Great idea. A fog machine under the engine bay and some dim flickering orange/red lighting under the hood to look like a small flame would be a great touch. If you really want to scare em hang some blown 7m Headgaskets by the door and you will have the scariest house in town ;)

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The broken pan bolt is out and drilled undersized for an ez-loc insert. Marshall’s Hardware carries them and sells single pieces. Amazon and Home Depot special order them in multi-packs. Marshall’s! See you tomorrow.

I prepped the pan for powder coating but it’s too windy to do outside, so maybe tomorrow.

C9F178BD-04BF-44C8-9120-FC09A114A3EA.jpeg
Think I’ll try chrome. The intake pieces will be chrome, too.

Drilled out the broken bolt and missed, so drilled out further,
tapped for an EZ-Loc insert (1/2"-13 to 8mm 1.25), and all went well.

new-threads.jpg

Ended up doing the powder coat twice as the original prep wasn't good enough.
The 30 year old factory paint that I left on the cover bubbled, Sand blasting wouldn't
take the powder coat off, it took 2 cans of paint remover.... and lots of elbow grease.

Final results not great, but hey, it's an oil pan. I'm going to do the intake pieces in
chrome, and this was a learning task. The intakes don't need as much prep as the pan did.

pan-back-on-engine.jpg

I put oil in the crankcase before I left tonight. No obviously leaking bolts :)

Next session, get the flywheel, clutch and transmission mounted and be back to where I was two weeks ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piratetip

SupraSpooler

Authorized Seller
Great idea. A fog machine under the engine bay and some dim flickering orange/red lighting under the hood to look like a small flame would be a great touch. If you really want to scare em hang some blown 7m Headgaskets by the door and you will have the scariest house in town ;)
Better yet,

Just blow the current head gasket and create your own fog machine! Spoooky!