What did you do to your supra today? Pics

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Not today but yesterday... piddling around trying to get the right studs, nuts and bolts to put her back together. Ended up powder coating the exhaust manifold because it goes back on first. It's gloss black. Next was the turbo heat shield which I may not use in the end, but for today, it was powder coat. "Black Chrome". It looks sort-of all-right, not sure the color came out how it should have. My oven is for small pieces, when I do these, it's in front of two 1000 degree gas heaters... standing there with an infra-red thermometer, trying to hit 400 all over :) Not easy.

turbo-cover-black-chrome.jpg 7mgte-r154-09152019.jpg ex-manifold-powder-coated-too.jpg

I have all the Harbor Freight colors and three or four custom colors from Eastwood, but I'm trying not to go crazy on the colors, much prefer a good finish to a colorful one. Not much experience with powder coating, wonder if something like this turbo shield will continue to change as heat is applied. They warn you not to use an oven for eating after powder coating because the powder re-activates when you heat it...

This car has been apart for several years. All the original nuts and bolts were caught in containers based on their function. I also took went to Fastenall and purchased quantity of everything we could identify with the hoped goal of all new hardware. I still find myself at the local Ace Hardware regularly getting this or that. Little things like the upgraded exhaust studs. There never were any nuts for them. Ace. See you tomorrow.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Not today but yesterday... piddling around trying to get the right studs, nuts and bolts to put her back together. Ended up powder coating the exhaust manifold because it goes back on first. It's gloss black. Next was the turbo heat shield which I may not use in the end, but for today, it was powder coat. "Black Chrome". It looks sort-of all-right, not sure the color came out how it should have. My oven is for small pieces, when I do these, it's in front of two 1000 degree gas heaters... standing there with an infra-red thermometer, trying to hit 400 all over :) Not easy.

View attachment 82253 View attachment 82254 View attachment 82255

I have all the Harbor Freight colors and three or four custom colors from Eastwood, but I'm trying not to go crazy on the colors, much prefer a good finish to a colorful one. Not much experience with powder coating, wonder if something like this turbo shield will continue to change as heat is applied. They warn you not to use an oven for eating after powder coating because the powder re-activates when you heat it...

This car has been apart for several years. All the original nuts and bolts were caught in containers based on their function. I also took went to Fastenall and purchased quantity of everything we could identify with the hoped goal of all new hardware. I still find myself at the local Ace Hardware regularly getting this or that. Little things like the upgraded exhaust studs. There never were any nuts for them. Ace. See you tomorrow.
Very cool! I had a good source for JIS fasteners (the style Toyota uses with a flange hex head), but some of them dulled very quickly in the engine bay.

Are you using normal hex head with a washer or did you find bolts with the integrated flange?

Powder coating looks great to me. Hard to make that heat shield much worse than normal. I'd say it's a huge improvement.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Very cool! I had a good source for JIS fasteners (the style Toyota uses with a flange hex head), but some of them dulled very quickly in the engine bay.

Are you using normal hex head with a washer or did you find bolts with the integrated flange?

Powder coating looks great to me. Hard to make that heat shield much worse than normal. I'd say it's a huge improvement.
Spent 30 minutes at the hardware store before asking for help, only to find nothing. Even with help, and a friendly customer, we found nothing. I didn't specifically check the American sizes, but my one sample nut only fit 12 MM thread, didn't come close on 7/16;

The studs are from the 7/16 upgrade kit from Drift Motion. The find thread end of the studs is 12 mm x 1.25 pitch.

If it proves to be 12 mm 1.25 pitch. DM sells those nuts as "motor mount nuts", and they have an integrated lip.

Thanks, yeas, powder coating is nice. I had sand blasted and left the surface a bit rough because I didn't think it'd ever fit my non-stock turbo... hit it with the powder and finished in about an hour. Not as easy as a can of spray paint, but should be more durable.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Spent 30 minutes at the hardware store before asking for help, only to find nothing. Even with help, and a friendly customer, we found nothing. I didn't specifically check the American sizes, but my one sample nut only fit 12 MM thread, didn't come close on 7/16;

The studs are from the 7/16 upgrade kit from Drift Motion. The find thread end of the studs is 12 mm x 1.25 pitch.

If it proves to be 12 mm 1.25 pitch. DM sells those nuts as "motor mount nuts", and they have an <snip>
Aaron responded:

7/16-20 fine thread Stover locking nuts

I’ve got 50 coming Thursday, so there are spares for the asking.

David

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The hardware from disassembly was kept in sealed cups since 2006/2007
IMG_0301.JPG

Yesterday was lubricate and clean day for remaining hardware
IMG_0718.JPG

Back in that day, everything was measured and minimum quantities ordered from Fastenall. Every attempt was made to replace hardware, and the rule was to throw away the original hardware as it was replaced. So, in theory, I should have no extra stuff when I'm done :)

I searched for hours for the following picture, ended up consolidating over 25,000 photos before finding this one. The cylinder head is on the bench, the bottom shelf is full of new hardware, and there's a board across the wall with all the sizes epoxied to the board. Not too anal.

88SupraTurbo (90).JPG

There was a rationale, as the inventory was covered with a board and stuff stacked on top... it was handy to know, yeah, I've got that, it's worth spending ten minutes to dig in there to get one :)

Seriously, the garage is cramped. Got to get this car on the street, I so need the space. I just saw the video of the garage walk-thru, it was dated April 4, 2013. I've been in this commercial garage over six years... paying for the landlords kids to go to college.

It's really time to get this finished. I keep stumbling, but I keep going. After Aaron from Drift Motion gave me the exhaust stud size, I got what I needed and discovered that the sample stud I'd been carrying around had a buggered thread. That's why I couldn't find anything to fit. Ran a die across the thread, and yeah, the studs are 7/16-20 (USS, not metric). I've got 7 nuts now and 43 spares :)

Been playing with hardware for a few days now and feel obligated to make occasional nut jokes, Anybody? lol

Tomorrow it's time to pull out the hard-pipes and figure out the the routing to the intercooler. Somewhere in there I have to build an aluminum box for the driving light. I'm using the stock intercooler that was cleaned and pressure tested years ago. If and when I really get this running, I will no doubt upgrade to a better unit. Need to get her running without too many more $300 upgrades.

That's it for today. Good night!