What did you do to your supra today? Pics

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Nice! That is one crazy clean OEM lip you have there.

Funny story about that lip. When I got the car I had just assumed parts were plentiful. That lip was all bent up from the PO and I finally pulled it off the car at some point and made plans to buy a new one. (Which wouldn't have fixed anything, since the mounting bracket was all bent up.)

So I took that lip and folded it in half and tossed it in the recycle bin. Luckily recycle is only every couple weeks and I decided to keep it just in case. Which was good, as I do not believe the part was available anymore at this point. (At least outside of Japan.)

It sat on the floor for years, and then finally with some advice from here at SM I put it back on! The reason it looks so black is I treat it with the Griot's Garage BlackShine Trim Restorer. It only lasts a month or so, but does a good job!

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
So I drove down to Griot's Garage for supplies today.

While mileage in the Supra has been about the same or worse than before the exhaust upgrade with pure city driving (17-20 MPG), this was a chance to finally see how the car would do on the freeway.

I filled the tank before leaving, and it was 109 miles total from the gas station to Griot's and back. It took 3.69 gallons to refill the tank, which comes to an amazing 29.54 MPG!!!

To make it better the drive was not "just set the cruise" and relax. Seattle area traffic is miserable and there was plenty of stop and go on the way back. (I had to go through Seattle because 405 was closed at Bellevue.)

For those who can make it to Tacoma, Griot's Garage is a wonderous place with wide parking spaces and all sorts of great car detailing stuff. They also have cars on display. This month are tuners, and there were two MKIVs at the back:
Red.jpg White.jpg White Engine.jpg

Last edited:

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
The engine undercover was missing when I bought the car, some 25 years ago, so I'll surely never have one at this point. The biggest annoyance with it missing is there's a gap under the A/C condenser and leaves (mainly) get sucked up and stuck between the condenser and the radiator. They're hard to clean out and block air flow. It surely was worse with my old condenser, as it had a bunch of dirt stuck in it, reducing the air flow through it.

While revamping my A/C system I saw these extra threaded holes on the cross member, which gave me an idea. After an hour or so of work, the gap is gone. I made a paper template, then cut some 0.025" aluminum. Each piece is 14" long and about 2-1/4" wide. I made it two pieces so they'd be much easier to get in. Plus, it was easier to find smaller pieces of sheet stock.

Maybe Toyota intended this, or maybe they already have this, but I didn't, so I made one. It should not suck up leaves any more!

Attachments

YotedmyMA70

Authorized Seller
I decided to replace one of the windshield fluid nozzles on my mk3. The old one had a broken tip, but I shattered it today by trying to squeeze it with pliers to pop it out. I’d like to see how the windshield fluid hose setup is on a stock mk3 because I just cut a hose shorter because it still had plastic jammed into it, and plugged it into the new nozzle to connect it. The driver’s side nozzle has nothing connected to it, but I’m gonna do some more research and see what parts I need to get everything setup right E38A8BF5-091C-4838-9975-514DA32A3739.jpeg E2A42B4A-3321-4614-903B-611A5D5D6683.jpeg

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Hi YotedmyMA70,

So I believe my washer hose setup is stock:
Lines.jpg

Cygnus X-1 includes measurements on each hose near the bottom of this page, along with an image from the parts catalog:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/vacuum_hose.aspx

My old nozzles shattered just like yours when I replaced them! It looks like you have new ones already, but I had seen posts recommending nozzles from a Camry for our cars. But I never got the year or part number.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
I've been meaning to get a new undercover for forever... They're still available at a mere $163! I am worried about my mount points being unusable, but I can always install rivnuts to fix them. It does make the car quite a bit more aerodynamic and is generally better with one. Hmmm... It looks like it won't help much with leaf suckage, so my block-off plates stay.

OTOH, it's way convenient to not have one. My '04 350Z has one and it's a mild annoyance to take the time to remove and install the dozen bolts.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Still about the same price now if you get it from the dealership. $230

I checked the online pricing for some of the Toyota OEM sites.
Best I found for shipping was $24, though one was listing an additional $250 for freight. LOL!

Best price online with shipping I found was ~185$

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
OTOH, it's way convenient to not have one. My '04 350Z has one and it's a mild annoyance to take the time to remove and install the dozen bolts.
Oh, you are absolutely correct! I was glad mine was missing when I was replacing hoses, starters, and other things up front. But it is nice that you can still change the oil and the coolant with the cover on :)

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Shipping is a killer on the undercover, it almost completely kills the discounts found online. The secret is to have a friend of a friend of a friend who knows someone working a Toyota parts counter ;)

Best favor I ever cashed in!

I do wonder if you could perhaps get some dealership love by offering to take your car to a dealership to help promote the new Supra? Though the MKIV seems to get all the fame, I am surprised how many people have asked to take pictures of my car or complimented it lately. And it is far from perfect :(

Reactions: debrucer

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Shipping is a killer on the undercover, it almost completely kills the discounts found online. The secret is to have a friend of a friend of a friend who knows someone working a Toyota parts counter ;)
My local Toyota dealer has been giving me discounts since I joined here. They always say when the people with older Toyota's come in they want to help them out a bit to keep their vehicles on the road longer. My last order this year was $49 for the heater pipe union fittings, some seals and gaskets but after the discount it came out to $32. I would just ask at your local dealer for the old Toyota vehicle discount lol.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
I wish the dealers around here still were helpful. I gave up on them more than a decade ago when they all stopped offering a DIY discount. They're pretty much all just charging list price these days to walk-ins like me. Years ago I went in regularly to a couple and they got to know me. Then one day I ordered something and it never arrived and they were not helpful. I figured they didn't want my business anymore.

Reactions: loc182 and debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Got a new wastegate actuator with range of springs
  • 1.0 Bar Spring Installed
  • Spring Set : 0.5bar(7.35psi) / 0.8bar(11.76psi) / 1.0bar(14.7psi) / 1.2bar(17.6psi) / 1.5bar(22.05psi) / 1.7bar(24.99psi)
My original actuator opened at 5 pounds. I will start with the installed spring, and let my standalone handle things.

Don't think I'll need the manual boost control, and not sure what the other piece is for... dual turbo setup maybe?

Next step, fabricate a bracket. My turbo wouldn't fit a stock piece anyway... a bracket always expected. actuator-manual-boost-control.jpg

Reactions: Kine

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Swapped out the ball joints. Still need to get the upper control arm bushings done.
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the ball joints in the control arms and replace them?
I saw a for sale posting that looked like a guy had done it and fitted greaseable joints in them so now I'm curious.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
On all upper arms, you can add easily a grease fitting through the metal cap. The cap is thick enough for threads. New boots are easy to get.

I can't find any threads here showing actual upper ball joint replacement. Maybe someone else can find a thread. You'd be on your own finding a replacement part that fits.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
When you buy refurbished upper control arms, they simply press out the old ball joint and press in a new one, right? Shouldn't be that hard to find a compatible ball joint, and either do it yourself or take it to a shop to press out/in.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
Who sells refurbished upper arms? Do they say what they do to refurbish them?

I'm pretty sure the ball joints do not simply press out and in.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Nothing special in the sealed beams, white corner markers and grill installed, although the nose isn't bolted in yet. I have the emblem but not the clip to hold it. The brace between the shock towers isn't bolted in yet, as the engine isn't in either. This year....

I'm making metal boxes for some seriously powerful LEDs. That's one of my TIG welding projects and my stack-of-dimes is not yet a very pretty signature. Stick welding in high school auto shop, acetylene/oxy cutting and braising in 1970, I gave myself 40 hours of hands-on to learn the techniques I need... I'm at hour 24 :)

Another welding job is for the seat belts. specifically for the anti-submarine belts. They have to be adjustable to each driver, and I presume that I will not be the last driver, so a couple of shaped pieces of angle-iron have to be welding to the 17 ga steel floor. I keep telling myself, self, I will not burn a hole in the floor of my Supra, nor, will I set her on fire :)

A third welding technique I've got to master is for the O2 sensor bungs. The front-pipe is, probably, aluminum. At least that's what I'm practicing for... it could easily turn out to be some alloy that requires a different technique or filler rods...

Five years in this garage. It's going to be soooo nice to get out and ride. Soon. Yeah, this year....

Oh yeah, got the hood structs out from the stock steel hood and couldn't find the clips for the hood-side. Not sure they're going to work as the hood is carbon fiber and lighter. Standard struts will probably be too strong.

headlightsup-grillandcorners-installed.jpg

Last edited:

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Oh yeah, got the hood structs out from the stock steel hood and couldn't find the clips for the hood-side. Not sure they're going to work as the hood is carbon fiber and lighter. Standard struts will probably be too strong.
Very nice looking Supra. When people usually install carbon fiber hoods, a good used set of worn hood shocks usually work good. If you need a used set and the hardware you can have it for free from my old 87 Supra (bought these new in 2008) if you cover usps shipping.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
It feels like all my pictures are the same, month after month after month. I see the changes, and I know what I've been doing, and perhaps learning what I need to be doing, so the pictures look different to me :) Casually over the last month I'd been cleaning up the rear end and fabricating grills for the slots (after reducing the size of the foam bumper piece which was covering a row of slots), and while not done, it's close. The front end got some attention today for the first time in a long time. The engine also got those damn washers installed :) I mounted the intercooler and the transmission oil cooler as well as the brackets, a/c components (sealed with R134 for ten years). Then I started working on a new underbody cover. I've got a new one, but with my bumpers it mounts with 5 out of 9 bolts. Leaves a flap toward the front which will no doubt look awful. The wheel arches undercovers aren't properly cleaned up. I made a foam-board template of the area that needs to be covered. My initial thought was stainless steel, but plexiglass sheels are pretty cheap, and no cheaper than the original plastic. Still, my plan on the driving lights requires some brackets and perhaps boxes. I have the original rubber pipes, a set of replacement rubber pipes, and at least one set fancy and bright hard-pipes. I've got so many pipes I can't picture how they all fit yet. I can't trust that I know how those fit to design around them. The engine needs to be installed very soon. The engine in the foreground is significant... even if the picture looks like the last one I posted. This is progress.

Supra-Engine-Today-REDUCED.JPG

Last edited:

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
It's quite a long process to build a car right.
Take your time and inspect everything before installing it.
You are not going to want to repair things later that were overlooked.

I've been working on mine on and off since 2002 when I first bought it.
Only within the last year I feel like the car is finally turning into something I can say is living up to my expectations.

Although my bar has risen drastically since driving and testing on a few different Tesla's.
I've come to the realization this old platform can never match up with something as new as that. But I'm ok with it, this car is much more engaging and fun to drive than anything I have ever been behind the wheel of.

Just keep plugging away, don't take cheap shortcuts. Spend the money to do it right and build it in time yourself.

The satisfaction I get every time I go for a drive is worth everything.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
So to add what have I done recently:
New plug wires, new plugs, minor tuning and checking different things in the AFM system.

I actually swapped back to the stock air filter setup and modified it slightly.
I have a few extra temporary sensors to measure temp of air entering turbo and pressure drop behind the filter.
I plan on testing the stock filter against the typical cone filter setup.

My hypothesis is the the stock filter isn't actually causing any significant restriction (below 500hp) and is allowing the engine to take in cooler air due to the location of the inlet.

Will see what the results/data shows though.

Reactions: debrucer and loc182

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Try ABS plastic instead of acrylic. Relatively cheap, black, easily cut, easy to form with a heat gun.

I went to start up my car a few weeks ago, and heard a waterfall sound. Big fuel leak. It was leaking from the softline to hardline connection after the AFPR, so I bought some proper conversion fittings (5/16" hardline to -6AN) and got it back together. Put a new hose end on the line, put it all back in the car, turn on the fuel pump and..... more fuel leaking. Looks like either the hose pulled out of the old fitting, or the line split, or something. Either way, another leak. So I bought some fresh nylon braided -6 line and am going to attempt fix #3.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Ran a few runs on the highway with the changes I made.
Dang, I have never had this thing running so well before.

Seriously fun.

Based on my Hz from the AFM I have quite a bit of headroom still.
Going to stop at 12psi before I blow up something...for now.:cool:

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Ran a few runs on the highway with the changes I made.
Dang, I have never had this thing running so well before.

Seriously fun.

Based on my Hz from the AFM I have quite a bit of headroom still.
Going to stop at 12psi before I blow up something...for now.:cool:
Nice to see you getting it dialed in. Don't blow it up before hopefully we get a Supra cruise or meet this year ;)

I am thinking of heading to Leon's frozen custard in Milwaukee sometime soon...

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Let me know when.

I will be in Michigan next weekend and Vegas the following Tues for about a week.

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Let me know when.

I will be in Michigan next weekend and Vegas the following Tues for about a week.
Will do

I had to say good bye to my old friend. No one seemed to want a free Supra shell for a project or maybe even a drift build so it was time for it to go. Thanks for the 11 years of reliable transpiration (5 of them being a daily driver as my first car), fun times in heavy snow, car meets, winning and loosing races as well as breaking necks along the way. The next burnout will be dedicated to you.

Reactions: loc182

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
:) Casually over the last month I'd been cleaning up the rear end and fabricating grills for the slots (after reducing the size of the foam bumper piece which was covering a row of slots),
Need a built rear end? :cool:

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
So far from what I have measured, yes.
No noticeable restriction.
I am not higher than 500 hp though.

Also measured only 3-10 F increase from ambient in front of the turbo inlet.
So it's pulling cooler air from under the passenger side headlight.
This is during constant speed driving, while at a standstill there is some heatsoak going on. Which is normal.
I might experiment with some thermal blocking products at some point.

Reactions: loc182

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Thanks Piratetip, this is really good to hear! Many thanks for running these tests,

Today I decided to have some fun and tried out some metal polish on my old stock exhaust. Whilst this muffler will never likely see a car again, I was happy to see how shiny the 31 year old tips could look.

Fun.jpg

YotedmyMA70

Authorized Seller
Just replaced my Dad’s wheels and tires with my own. He had 225/35R20 all around, and I put 225/50R16 in the front and 245/50R16 in the rear. The wheels are Konig Backbones that I got a good deal on, and I put on some BMW center caps as a joke towards the new Supra. My dad thought it’d be funnier if I put Toyota stickers on top of the caps so I ordered some last night.

Attachments

RedNeck D

Wasn't today but on Saturday I bought one! Found it on Facebook marketplace on Tuesday and messaged the seller. Annoyed him with questions for two days and then bought my plane ticket. Flew from Houston to Springfield Illinois. Made the deal and started the 900 mile trip back home. It was quite the adventure

The car is a 1990 and the previous owner had it since 2011. The engine was rebuilt, decked and freshened up. He put a .57 CT on it, RC550's, intake, 3" turbo back, apex neo. Kyb struts, lowering springs, sway bars, fresh brake components all around with stainless lines. It has had a lot of work put into it for sure.

Attachments

Last edited:

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Wasn't today but on Saturday I bought one! Found it on Facebook marketplace on Tuesday and messaged the seller. Annoyed him with questions for two days and then bought my plane ticket. Flew from Houston to Springfield Illinois. Made the deal and started the 900 mile trip back home. It was quite the adventure

Pictures and details :)... and welcome.