What did you do to your supra today? Pics

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Are you sure that no leaks were coming from the center galley plug seals, engine top end not the coolants ones? This is a known issue and can look like the oil it is coming from the valve covers. Just a heads up is all, good work by the way. I am attacking mine next week along with the center seals for good measure. Along with the TSRM recommended $10.23 a piece x's 6 NGK Laser Platinum premium R series spark plugs. OUCH! I love my car though...drain my wallet bitch! ;)
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check that out.

-Nick

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Getting my suspension swapped over finally.

-New spring isolators 2x per shock
-New bump stops and dust sleeves
-Swapping to the newer TEMS actuators all around
-Swapping to the newer TEMS computer
-Re-using the Eibachs for now...may or may not swap to another spring that is Linear.
-Installing 1 of the 3 HKS TEMS controllers. :D

The last new un-used set of Illumina's I know of.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I got some time to dive further into my restoration this weekend. Got the bumper off, nose cone off, fender mostly off and power washed everything I could get to.

I'm stoked to get it ready for paint. That first pass of basecoat with full coverage over the car is going to be sooooo satisfying.

Attachments

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
I got some time to dive further into my restoration this weekend. Got the bumper off, nose cone off, fender mostly off and power washed everything I could get to.

I'm stoked to get it ready for paint. That first pass of basecoat with full coverage over the car is going to be sooooo satisfying.
YES! Congrats my friend!

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Getting my suspension swapped over finally.

-New spring isolators 2x per shock
-New bump stops and dust sleeves
-Swapping to the newer TEMS actuators all around
-Swapping to the newer TEMS computer
-Re-using the Eibachs for now...may or may not swap to another spring that is Linear.
-Installing 1 of the 3 HKS TEMS controllers. :D

Where did you find your "newer TEMS actuators"? My new Illumina's only have around 7000 miles on them. I dread the day when they need replacing. As my car is TEMS and has the new bits and I love how it handles.

The last new un-used set of Illumina's I know of.

Nice work, and what dreams are made of, having a full car lift in my garage. Jealous over here!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Nice work, and what dreams are made of, having a full car lift in my garage. Jealous over here!
I am very jealous of the lift.
Haha, thanks guys. It was a big investment, but it's by far the best money I've spent on anything car-related, including the cars themselves. Doing work under the car is now bliss. It's a good conversation starter with the neighbors as they walk by to get their mail, haha.

With an hour or two of setup and a rollaway plastic sheeting skin I made, it becomes my paint booth as well. Cross draft, fully filtered in and out. If you believe the CFM ratings of the box fans (and if I manage to keep the exhaust filters clean) the air turnover is roughly that of OSHA standards for professional booths. It's lined with LEDs already, but I probably need another lap or two of LED strips to get it completely up to snuff. Need to perfect the sealing before I do the Supra. Dust is killer.

Too cramped to be my dream garage, but I'll take it for now. Off camera to the right is another bay that's the "shop" with workbenches, air, electrical, etc... I don't have a good shot on hand of just the lights underneath, but it lights up the undercarriage like the auctions at Barrett-Jackson.

Attachments

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Do you have a step-by-step write-up anywhere on pulling the bumper and nose cone off?
I recorded video and plan on posting it. Just need a few minutes to edit it together. I think I caught each step. I will say right now that crash bar is REALLY HEAVY. I had the car about 4 feet in the air on the lift and it crashed down hard. I was not prepared for how heavy that thing was.

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
So I drove to work yet again in the Supra and had the pleasure to follow a 1993 MR2 that appeared to be completely stock. Had the correct wheels, wing, exhaust, and paint.

Sadly not a turbo, but it was obviously a well cared for car!

1993 MR2 Stock.jpg

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Driving it to work again.
Trying to put some miles on it, attempting to daily drive it.

Hey Ryon, what are your thoughts on those battle arms?
Are they made well enough to last long term?

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Driving it to work again.
Trying to put some miles on it, attempting to daily drive it.

Hey Ryon, what are your thoughts on those battle arms?
Are they made well enough to last long term?
Those Battle Version arms are very well built. The bearings that are used are "Made in USA" and those also seem like they would last a very long time. I would recommend these Battle Version arms but I am still curious on how those Mookeeh MK1 arms compare.

I been looking into replacing the two other lower bushings on the rear hub and I know you said that they were very hard to remove which is what I fear on mine. I will probably take it somewhere to get those oem Toyota bushings installed but I hope that they do not have to take the rear hub's off.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Interesting.
I'm not sure I could go with anything using heim joints though.
I'm in a phase where I am trying to get the car back to a more comfortable GT cruising / enjoyable ride.
So far it's Soo much better.
Really starting to enjoy it again.

Took a quick photo, picking up one of my little ones from class

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Oh yeah lots of very nice cars.
McClaren / Lotus / TVR / Morgan
The British car show was the best by far.

Zero Toyota's though at all three shows.
The typical American muscle and young bolts ons tuner scene with WRX / GTI and assortment of Audi ect...

I had some people ask what my car even was. Haha, they had no clue.

I can't say I have ever seen a Z1 on the road either.
I have seen the older GT40 on the road, once.

One show had a 1922 Franklin, that was cool!
I enjoy the exotics and older vehicles the most, just looking at how they were engineered. Good custom work is also appreciated.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Part of the project that has been in progress for a year was accomplished yesterday. I have re-insured my car and applied to DMV to get it taken out of non-op status. They're giving me grief wanting California SMOG performed before they will renew the registration, and it cannot even be towed, much less driven, on any California road. At any rate, I plan on driving within the next 12 months. I've owned this car since 2005... it's time!

I have uploaded 16 photos and will attempt to describe what you're seeing. Not very interesting unless you're doing it, too. Hopefully invaluable if you are :)

The first two pictures are of the crank gear with a 12-tooth trigger wheel added. The wheel was purchased here.

The third picture is of the crank damper were it was machined to match the contour in photo two.

The fourth picture is the stack of two and three.

Fifth and Sixth pics of the timing belt area: uncovered, covered... both with gear in place.

7th, 8th and 9th show the bolts and sleeves that I cut to fit inside the damper behind the 36-1 trigger wheel to be installed.

The threads that existed were of unknown size/spec so those four holes were tapped.

Picture 10 shows the default slot in the DIY trigger wheel after the four bolts were installed. The missing tooth needs to be six before TDC, so some additional holes had to be drilled.

Picture 11 shows the wheel with two holes done. Picture 12 shows it with three. (13 also, unnecessary pic. sorry)

#14 is a side view... #15 and 16 are the completed installation of the trigger wheel to the damper.

The engine and transmission are assembled on a rolling stand and I am waiting to receive a couple of washers that the group here helped me source from Parker Progica International. When those arrive I will be rolling the engine back out to fabricate a couple of brackets. Then it's on to the cam valve lash adjustment... et al.

That's far from everything, but, it's a good glimpse into my progress (or lack of :) ).

- David

Attachments

Last edited:

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Well, it is not done to my Supra, but the last piece arrived courtesy of Raptor Racing today and I had to play with the Legos just a bit!

Parts from left to right are:

BIC DDP with re-circulation and wideband sensor bung
Raptor Racing 11.5 inch metallic spiral core catalytic converter
HKS LET-T16 Turbo Exhaust

Attachments

Last edited:

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
It is a real BIC DDP! I bought it in 2013 and it has lived in my attic until now :p

Though I really wish it was a Lipp Turbo Elbow and the HKS downpipe combo for the stock look. But since I cannot have that I am happy to have what many say is the best downpipe available.

Last edited:

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Yeah, that exhaust has always appealed to me since I love the stock look. I was a bit sad to learn that it is not stainless though.

Apologies for not including the parts in the original post, I have made that update.

Kine

Authorized Seller
Yeah, that exhaust has always appealed to me since I love the stock look. I was a bit sad to learn that it is not stainless though.

Apologies for not including the parts in the original post, I have made that update.
I remember the BIC when he first started makin' em and all the "discussion" that followed :) Any issues with the set up not having a flex joint in it? I went to his site recently and noticed that adding a flex section was no longer being offered. Really tempted to grab one...

I've liked the look that HKS exhaust as well for the same reason. I just did a search for it to see how much it was going for these days and find it hilarious that you can order one from Amazon with Prime free shipping :D

Last edited:

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Sadly the flex section option was unavailable even when I bought mine or I would have it :(

It will be at least a month before I get to install anything since I will have it ceramic coated and the shop I like is closed for the next two weeks. But I am hopeful that things will not be too bad since the whole exhaust is coming off. (Famous last words?)

If you do buy one, I would skip the wideband option. From reading lots of threads I recently learned that its location is not ideal. (And it is not like I am ever going to install a wideband sensor anyway :p)

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Well yesterday morning the Supra did not start but lucky it was parked in the garage. Right away I noticed I did not hear the fuel pump prime when the key was first turned so I started to diagnose it. Found the fuse I added for the fuel pump was blown. Tested the wiring, had to drop the tank and found a bad factory rivet connection/factory wiring on the positive wire side on the fuel pump hanger:

After going to all local auto parts stores and asking for a electrical bulkhead fitting for the fuel pump hanger (even bringing in the fuel pump hanger) they were all lost and did not know what I was talking about. Final stop at a Ace Hardware and I got all the stainless steel hardware, 12 gauge fuel rated wire, nylon washers with a insert and fuel tank sealer as well for extra insurance. Also got rid of those factory ground rivets too and put bolts in place with new wiring. Fuel pump primes great now and sounds healthy after the install plus no more blown fuses.