What did you do to your supra today? Pics

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I finished my exhaust and went for a spin.
Took it to the optima car show at work yesterday as well. Saw a bunch of cool stuff headed to Road America for a race this weekend.

Last edited:

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I did this last week, but it's still making me giggle. My wife and I bought a house a couple of months ago. Last week, the supra came home from where it was sitting in "storage" (a parking lot). My supra now sits in my garage, and will shortly be joined by my tools. This hasn't happened in over 7 years. I'll finally be able to start working on her again. If I'm lucky, I'll have her back on the road next summer.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
A new blower motor went in today. Aside from standing on my head, it wasn't too bad of an operation. It took about an hour. The old one of 31 years was full of fine, sticky, black powder. It's probably a lovely mix of brush carbon and road dirt

The new motor seems to move a lot more air, and hopefully won't make cricket chirping noises when cold on low speed. I did put some oil on the top bearing before I installed it.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Whoa. That ball joint mount is bizarre. I've never seen socket head cap screws used like that. I wouldn't have guessed that would hold up!

SelectivePC

Authorized Seller
Got the windshield bar cut bent and mounted in place. Left just enough room to access the mounting bolts for the targa top. On to mounting the dash bar and door bars

Got the windshield bar cut bent and mounted in place. Left just enough room to access the mounting bolts for the targa top. On to mounting the dash bar and door bars

Nice, does this have a build thread? Getting ready to cage my car.

Old Radar

Authorized Seller
Washed it up and drove to Austin for the Cars and Coffee monthly meet. Good showing as I estimate 500 to 600 cars were there. Only saw two MkIVs and one other MkIII, so that was disappointing. The MkIII was a black JDM 2.5TT but I never saw the owner.

Justin727

T-virus infected
Authorized Seller
Washed it up and drove to Austin for the Cars and Coffee monthly meet. Good showing as I estimate 500 to 600 cars were there. Only saw two MkIVs and one other MkIII, so that was disappointing. The MkIII was a black JDM 2.5TT but I never saw the owner.
Did you get any pics of the JZA70? There's a few of them in Houston

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
I stripped the interior for paint / body work, seats, panels, carpet, everything so it's basicly a shell. I scrubbed, washed and clean all the left over body shop dust after if came back from the shop. Seems silly to clean areas where no one will see anyway. I can't help it, I'm just very particular, I guess I'm a perfectionist.

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I got in some needed love parts and an upgrade in the plug wire world.
Uncovered the 2j that came in (my little brothers car). Motor looks like its in very good condition. Only has a minor valve cover leak as far as I can tell. Getting everything ready for the swap.
View attachment 81793 View attachment 81794
Holy overkill on the lift truck batman! Way to do it up legitimate style! I am happy for you and the new heart transplant looking good so far. It is those insides that can bite you however. May they be just as sound as well for you.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I replaced these 32 year old bitches.

With these new new bitches.

I used this impressive brand; Stabilus. That included a lower replacement mounting bracket. They are much more desirable and efficient to work with over the stock ones. The new mounts utilize the ball mount end of the struts. So now I will never have to remove or mess with the interior trim plastic again. Great forward thinking on the design. I would recommend these to anyone, hands down. You can get them from Drift Motion.

Now my favorite bitch can do this again, cheers!

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I replaced these 32 year old bitches.

With these new new bitches.

I used this impressive brand; Stabilus. That included a lower replacement mounting bracket. They are much more desirable and efficient to work with over the stock ones. The new mounts utilize the ball mount end of the struts. So now I will never have to remove or mess with the interior trim plastic again. Great forward thinking on the design. I would recommend these to anyone, hands down. You can get them from Drift Motion.

Now my favorite bitch can do this again, cheers!
Nice Job. I recently put a set of those in my Supra also and they are super strong at holding that heavy hatch now. I got mine on ebay and if you or anyone need part numbers here they are for both sides:

I also just got a Supra shirt from my friend who makes shirts, they turned out awesome. If you look closely you will see the puddle of coolant from a blown head gasket under it or at least that is what I call it ;)

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Nice Job. I recently put a set of those in my Supra also and they are super strong at holding that heavy hatch now. I got mine on ebay and if you or anyone need part numbers here they are for both sides:

I also just got a Supra shirt from my friend who makes shirts, they turned out awesome. If you look closely you will see the puddle of coolant from a blown head gasket under it or at least that is what I call it ;)

Thanks brother! The hood and hatch practically lift themselves up now. I was especially impressed with the hatch struts. I feel no more weight of that heavy ass hatch. I love it.

It took a couple of days because I had to go buy a couple of 11mm wrenches for the job. What an odd size. Oh what a feeling Toyota! Nice shirt and joke on the Supra. I like that shirt

I got this shirt recently.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Set out to diagnose an intermittent misfire with the car. Immediately thought it would be wiring, and something super complicated to track down, given the intermittent nature of the misfire. But I started with the basics, and went to check the spark plugs. Pulled the top cover and pulled the spark plug wire and discovered oil. The valve cover gasket(s) failed! Spark plugs 1 & 2 had oil, and #5 & 6 were practically swimming in it. Cleaned it up, checked the plugs, and found #3 cracked. Clearly the spark plug valley was in rough shape. New valve cover gaskets, new plugs, and some elbow grease later, and it's all cleaned up.

-Nick
-Nick IMG_4204.jpg IMG_4205.jpg IMG_4206.jpg IMG_4213.jpg IMG_4214.jpg IMG_4215.jpg IMG_4216.jpg IMG_4217.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures aren't exciting, but recently replaced a leaking AC discharge line and replaced the old receiver/drier for good measure. Had a shop do the recharge and AC is now working for the first time since I've had the car. It doesn't seem to blow as cold as my MR2 (also R134A converted), but as long as the leaks are taken care of, it should suffice when summer arrives.

Next job: I've been smelling exhaust fumes every now and then when I have the windows down and pull up to a stop. Turns out there's an exhaust leak at the top-rear part of the manifold right at the gasket. Hopefully swapping in a new gasket isn't too much of a pain in the butt on that old 7MGE.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Pictures aren't exciting, but recently replaced a leaking AC discharge line and replaced the old receiver/drier for good measure. Had a shop do the recharge and AC is now working for the first time since I've had the car. It doesn't seem to blow as cold as my MR2 (also R134A converted), but as long as the leaks are taken care of, it should suffice when summer arrives.

Next job: I've been smelling exhaust fumes every now and then when I have the windows down and pull up to a stop. Turns out there's an exhaust leak at the top-rear part of the manifold right at the gasket. Hopefully swapping in a new gasket isn't too much of a pain in the butt on that old 7MGE.

If I were you I would helicoil all 7 exhaust studs as they do like to strip easy in the aluminum head and this has been a common problem in the past. This is the right size kit if you find you have stripped out threads on those exhaust studs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Helicoil-5...637977&hash=item3f3f0c05fe:g:SEAAAOSw1x1UQ~pp

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Set out to diagnose an intermittent misfire with the car. Immediately thought it would be wiring, and something super complicated to track down, given the intermittent nature of the misfire. But I started with the basics, and went to check the spark plugs. Pulled the top cover and pulled the spark plug wire and discovered oil. The valve cover gasket(s) failed! Spark plugs 1 & 2 had oil, and #5 & 6 were practically swimming in it. Cleaned it up, checked the plugs, and found #3 cracked. Clearly the spark plug valley was in rough shape. New valve cover gaskets, new plugs, and some elbow grease later, and it's all cleaned up.

-Nick
-Nick View attachment 81879 View attachment 81880 View attachment 81881 View attachment 81882 View attachment 81883 View attachment 81884 View attachment 81885 View attachment 81886

-Nick
-Nick View attachment 81879 View attachment 81880 View attachment 81881 View attachment 81882 View attachment 81883 View attachment 81884 View attachment 81885 View attachment 81886
Are you sure that no leaks were coming from the center galley plug seals, engine top end not the coolants ones? This is a known issue and can look like the oil it is coming from the valve covers. Just a heads up is all, good work by the way. I am attacking mine next week along with the center seals for good measure. Along with the TSRM recommended $10.23 a piece x's 6 NGK Laser Platinum premium R series spark plugs. OUCH! I love my car though...drain my wallet bitch! ;)

Today I got around to attacking some nasty rust spots (car spent its first 13 years in Long Island) on the front underside with some sanding and rust converter. The thing I'm probably most pleased about is getting the splash shield installed, as it was missing when I bought the car. Not only great for protection, but looks a whole lot better too. Swapped in some brand new stabilizer bar brackets and bushings as well.

Before:

After:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Today I got around to attacking some nasty rust spots (car spent its first 13 years in Long Island) on the front underside with some sanding and rust converter. The thing I'm probably most pleased about is getting the splash shield installed, as it was missing when I bought the car. Not only great for protection, but looks a whole lot better too. Swapped in some brand new stabilizer bar brackets and bushings as well.

Before:

After:

Looing good Sinistar, nices pieces you added.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
Are you sure that no leaks were coming from the center galley plug seals, engine top end not the coolants ones? This is a known issue and can look like the oil it is coming from the valve covers. Just a heads up is all, good work by the way. I am attacking mine next week along with the center seals for good measure. Along with the TSRM recommended $10.23 a piece x's 6 NGK Laser Platinum premium R series spark plugs. OUCH! I love my car though...drain my wallet bitch! ;)
I agree, the problem is most likely not the valve cover gaskets. Its the middle spark plug valley cover gasket. I thought the same thing and the oil came back. I ditched the valley gasket and got washers for each of the hex bolts from Nappa and have had zero oil in there since. FYI -- There are two sets of hex bolts in that valley. Do not remove the lower set. Only the upper set used by the spark plug valley gasket.