weather protection between the door and interior panel

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
I need a recommendation on where to get the weather protecting sheets that are between the door panel and the door shell.,.......thanks!!

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I would just cut some good quality 4 mil plastic sheet to size and go with that.
You can get that stuff all over the place.

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
thanks Pirate tip, I was going to do that, but I thought i'd ask because sometimes I get a lot of very good answers here, I'm just a purist and very picky about my car as most everyone should be... yes I know no one will see it but I do a lot of things people won't see on my car, like cleaning all the body shop dust on the body shell floor pan where seats, carpeting, and door will go.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Agreed.
It's always good to be meticulous.

There isn't too much to the plastic in the door, it's just a vapor / moisture barrier.
You could get 6 mil plastic and make it even more robust.

The way you attach it will probably have more debate.

IMO, use the factory style adhesive which is butyl rubber. Find it in a rope pre cut shape, and don't get it on your fingers or anything else. Very difficult to remove, but stays pliable.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
It might be overkill but maybe some velcro strips around the edges where the factory black tar may be good and easy access if you need to remove the plastic in the future.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Butyl Rope for the adhesion method gets my vote. That'll stay tacky and effective for years and years, even in harsh climates. I like the velcro idea for the sake of easy on and off, but I'm not sure I'd trust it to stay secure long term. I recall that it needs to bend and contour some uneven surfaces on that door and I think the OEM style butyl rope is the way to go.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
When your removing the plastic take a razor blade and cut the butyl rubber instead of just pulling on it. you just gently pull and cut at same time and it will come off like nothing without ripping the plastic.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
IF you have an builder outlet type store where you are at, you can get the vapor barrier to do 100 doors for 30-40 dollars. I usually see 10 and 12 mil thickness.

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
When your removing the plastic take a razor blade and cut the butyl rubber instead of just pulling on it. you just gently pull and cut at same time and it will come off like nothing without ripping the plastic.

thanks HVYMAN, I'll remember your advice next time I need to remove it ,... for now,.. there is none:eek:

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
IF you have an builder outlet type store where you are at, you can get the vapor barrier to do 100 doors for 30-40 dollars. I usually see 10 and 12 mil thickness.
Off topic reply::: I love Minnesota, I would come back if the weather was tweaked about 30 degrees north of zero below and get rid of the mosquitoes. I was in Minnesota just half a year ago. I haven't seen your home town for over thirty years, I've seen the mall of America for the first time. So much has changed! I lived in Crystal Minnesota. I stayed in Little Canada, would have been cool to chat with a fellow Supra member, depending where your at. People there are SO nice!!. Yeah you betcha!

Last edited:

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Off topic reply::: I love Minnesota, I would come back if the weather was tweaked about 30 degrees north of zero below and get rid of the mosquitoes. I was in Minnesota just half a year ago. I haven't seen your home town for over thirty years, I've seen the mall of America for the first time. So much has changed! I lived in Crystal Minnesota. I stayed in Little Canada, would have been cool to chat with a fellow Supra member, depending where your at. People there are SO nice!!. Yeah you betcha!

Most are nice to your face but we have a saying here.

MN Passive aggressive.. It is real! lol