Washer on front upper control arm

Kristian_Wraae

Authorized Seller
I'm fitting some new SuperPro busings to my car and I'm a little confused as how to orientate the two stock washers that go on either side of the arm.

The washers are concave. DSCN0805r.jpg DSCN0806r.jpg DSCN0804r.jpg

So should the concave side face in or out?

So like the picture or opposite ?

Kristian_Wraae

Authorized Seller
Ok, thanks. That was the way they were, but I have found several pictures online where they are opposite.

Dave 1jz

Authorized Seller
The concave should be outwards. The washer should not press agains the outer diameter of the bus to reduce friction/sticktion. This is why the concave is designed, to only support on the inner diameter.

Even more with the superpro bushings, you might compress the A-arm and deform it if the concave washers are faced inwards.

Reactions: Kristian_Wraae

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
I always have put the cups on the insides, and I'm fairly certain my car came that way.

The arm flexes more than the difference under heavy braking anyway, so it doesn't matter much.

Kristian_Wraae

Authorized Seller
The concave should be outwards. The washer should not press agains the outer diameter of the bus to reduce friction/sticktion. This is why the concave is designed, to only support on the inner diameter.

Even more with the superpro bushings, you might compress the A-arm and deform it if the concave washers are faced inwards.
That was exactly my thoughts and why I went online to find pictures. I think it makes sense what you are saying.

With the poly-bushings the metal tube inside the bushing should be fixed and the bushing should be free to rotate relative to the metal tube and if the washers press against the busing the metal tube might not be fixed or the washer will make the busing bind and maybe even make it rotate inside the arm.

Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
That was exactly my thoughts and why I went online to find pictures. I think it makes sense what you are saying.

With the poly-bushings the metal tube inside the bushing should be fixed and the bushing should be free to rotate relative to the metal tube and if the washers press against the busing the metal tube might not be fixed or the washer will make the busing bind and maybe even make it rotate inside the arm.
Makes sense. I'm betting mine are backwards :(

Update: Mine are Lipp, red poly bushings... and the washers are flat. I do believe in your application that the cup goes inwards, not as I originally stated.

Last edited: