Upper control arms ball joint...

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
I was a little rough taking them out and broke a boot since I'm doing a whole front end refresh while doing the bushings and whatnot, I was wondering how to replace the upper since they are not on rock auto and dealer stock is long gone. Anyone know if someone can rebuild mine or if I can do it?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
The boots are still available from Toyota if you wanted to go that way, as far as the arms go, I've not seen anyone replace the joint in a stock arm. I bought a new set of upper arms a couple years ago from Toyota, but yeah they're gone now. Aftermarket arms are the only answer at this point.

Jeff

alcyon

Authorized Seller
sorry. its carID

Dave 1jz

Authorized Seller
Yes, fronts can be sourced aftermarket, don`t really understand why the rears are not.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Another good parts candidate for "heritage parts".

Luckily all my upper arms were in good shape and could re-use them still.
I just re-booted them with new Toyota parts.

Someday all these parts are going to wear out though....

• Sad
Reactions: Asterix

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Aftermarket looks gone too they need cores i bet
I can’t recall seeing any aftermarket that remanufactured the stock ones, though I’m sure it’s been done.

Most aftermarket I’ve seen are new castings. There are slight variations between them and the originals.

Jeff

Reactions: debrucer

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
If someone is good with machining, they could remove the old balljoint and install a new one.
I know someone has done it in the past. (don't remember the thread)
It would be custom though.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
It's not cheaper, but there was a FB thread awhile ago:

"Wanted to share my control arms I made for my MK3. They are SPC 94800 adjustable control arms. They are for a mustang ll but im sure other arms spc offers will fit just needs to be zero offset with the screw in style plate and the right length. I used a Chrysler screw in balljoint it was turned down to fit the knuckle."

It was posted by Josh Cody on Nov 9 on the Toyota Supra MK3 Appreciation Club

You could also build your own arms with SPC parts, you'd just need to measure which pieces you need. Summit carries all of the SPC parts. Chrysler balljoints appear to be 7 degrees. Looks like Moog K727 is the spec, you can get a variety of rebuildable balljoints from Speedway.

Last edited:

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yep was a Chrysler balljoint.

Post up some photos here for those of us that don't use FB.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor

alcyon

Authorized Seller
I just destroyed my rear ARB link on the left side. I removed the link because it would make it easier to maneuver the rear shock out, but unfortunately the thread was mucked up and the allen key slot also stripped. Now I need to try to find a suitable link from some other car. Rock auto doesnt have any for the rears. Next time I will just unhinge the upper arm. I know lot of people say theres no need for that but dang it was damn difficult. I shudder to think of the re installation of the shocks.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
to install the rear shock, you just need to pivot it the right direction (forward). I did one a little while ago, no other parts needed to come off. It will rub on the fender liner, but should come out relatively easily.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
I just destroyed my rear ARB link on the left side. I removed the link because it would make it easier to maneuver the rear shock out, but unfortunately the thread was mucked up and the allen key slot also stripped. Now I need to try to find a suitable link from some other car. Rock auto doesnt have any for the rears. Next time I will just unhinge the upper arm. I know lot of people say theres no need for that but dang it was damn difficult. I shudder to think of the re installation of the shocks.
I put all new moog ARB links when I put swaybars to delete the plastic end links. They are the same all 4 corners and the moog are much stronger than stock with grease fittings on each ball and socket.

Reactions: alcyon

Dave 1jz

Authorized Seller
I can’t recall seeing any aftermarket that remanufactured the stock ones, though I’m sure it’s been done.

Most aftermarket I’ve seen are new castings. There are slight variations between them and the originals.

Jeff
Not absolutely sure about the fronts, but the rears are definitely forged aluminum. Probably after a cast first.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
Fronts are also forged. Years ago I hack-sawed one of the eyes off a dead arm. This is not your garden-variety aluminum. It's way tougher, probably with high silicon content.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Probably shouldn’t have used the term casting. I meant they were not rebuilding old arms but were instead starting from scratch. Makes me question the strength of their process as well.

Glad I bought a new set before they were obsolete but that won’t help next time. :\

Jeff