Two Supras Obtained Today.

h20dies

Authorized Seller
So guys, kinda thinking outloud. With the head off I'm kind of tempted to pull this motor fully, pull the white car motor and trans and then replace the clutch and mate this motor with the r154 and put it back in the white 5 speed targa.

How hard would that be? What do you guys think of that idea?

h20dies

Authorized Seller
So probably will just put the head back on, drive the car, attempt to get it running smoothly for awhile and then make a decision then, anyway here is some update. Got the head back from the machine shop, the guy helicoiled 2 exhaust stud holes for me (were totally stripped) and cleaned it up good. Also cleaned and sand blasted my valve covers, getting ready for paint. The first pic is actually after cleaning the valve covers with solvent and scrubbing.

Also been running through some of the files in the car, I got these 2 cars from the original owner (who has now passed away), have the receipts for both these cars when they were bought brand new from the dealership, also service records dating back to that point. Pretty cool, starting to appreciate them more and more.
. valve cover pre sandblast.jpg
valve cover post sandblast.jpg head post clean.jpg head post clean 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: plaaya69

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Just learned yesterday that my place of work had a paint room, temperature controlled/ventilated so I took advantage of it, could fit a whole car in there.

here. paint room1.jpg paint room.jpg painted valve covers.jpg

Reactions: plaaya69

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Hey guys, cleaning my block and noticed some indents by the water ports. Do any of you see this as an immediate issue and if so is there anything I can do to mitigate that? Also what's your preferred method for cleaning the block and making it baby smooth? Thanks...

block deform 2.jpg block deform 3.jpg block deform1.jpg

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hey guys, cleaning my block and noticed some indents by the water ports. Do any of you see this as an immediate issue and if so is there anything I can do to mitigate that? Also what's your preferred method for cleaning the block and making it baby smooth? Thanks...

View attachment 83184 View attachment 83185 View attachment 83186
I have seen worse pitting on the block around the cooling jackets but as long as you deck the block at the machine shop it should take care of it. You are decking the block at the machine shop right?

h20dies

Authorized Seller
I have seen worse pitting on the block around the cooling jackets but as long as you deck the block at the machine shop it should take care of it. You are decking the block at the machine shop right?

Did not plan to...

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Okay guys, ordered ARP studs, got them installed and the head installed (composite head gasket from ishino stone), torqued to 80ftlbs. Made some progress as you can see, anyway tonight I ripped the wires out of one of the knock sensor connectors and I'm not sure what the best route is to correct this.. Could anyone please point me in the right direction?
knock sensor connector.jpg bare cyl head on block after hg.jpg turbo on paintd head after hg isntall.jpg

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Figured it out, pulling out the crimp inside the connector am going to rewire and just wire it into the orginal harness.

h20dies

Authorized Seller
I just stuck the stock wire that pulled out back into the connector, crimped it down and reconnected it

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Okay been awhile since I've updated, Got the maroon supra all buttoned up and running fantastic, so far I have 50 miles of easy driving on it and it's doing fantastic. Finally was able to wash it. Also attempted a spray paint on the driver side fender. Pretty cool before and after pictures of this cars engine bay and exterior from my first post to now. Here's some pictures -

Also, with the white targa having a spun rod bearing and all.. I picked up a 2jzge today for 443$. Came with everything besides a throttle body, and only 1 connector was cut. Supposedly only 60k miles... Anyway pretty excited to see what happens.
2jzge.jpg engine bay completed bhg.jpg supra driver fender painted.jpg supra post wash1.jpg

gregbonny

Authorized Seller
Hi H , I'm in need of door panels. Living in Vegas the heat has gotten to mine. let me know. PS great job I'm jealous.

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Over 500 miles on the car so far, am.planning on doing some suspension work soon, been fixing odds and ends, i flushed my transmission fluid not too long ago due to it starting to hold the gears longer and it felt like it was slipping.. It starts to slip and actually won't go into overdrive sometimes, conditions worsen when I get on the gas a little hard.. So am keeping my eye out for an a340e..

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so i have an a340 from the 1jz swap i bought. Not sure of the condition of the tranny. Im pretty sure all you have to do is swap the bellhousing around. Again not sure if the a340 from a 1jz is the same as the 7m. Maybe we can work a deal. The only thing I would have to say is shipping is going to be outrageously high.

Reactions: h20dies

h20dies

Authorized Seller
On a side note reguarding the maroon auto, i get a very deep howl, and intense vibrating at about 60mph any ideas what it could be? Newer tires mounted and balanced. I know my shocks are bad but this seems like something different. Driveshaft? I checked it and it definitely has some play in the center bearing. What do you guys think?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Howling is usually a bearing.
Could be wheel bearings, transmission bearings, center driveshaft bearing, diff bearings.

At speed try in and out of drive / neutral.
Decel / Accel
This will help you get a better idea of the location.
Loading and unloading different bearings will make the sound change.
Long LH corners will load and increase noise on right side wheel bearings.
Long RH corners do the opposite.

Use some creative diagnosing and you will find the issue.

Reactions: h20dies