Two Supras Obtained Today.

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Greetings,

I have been a supra addict since I was 15 and got my first supra, the lack of patience, time, money and well the way life works in general I ended up buying and selling four Supras between age 15 and 20. Fast forward to today age 22, I am now living in Northern California with my wife and son and happened to trade my 2000 Lexus RX300 with 131k miles which I purchased for $2800 2.5 years ago, for two 1987 Turbo Supras, one of which is a white manual, Targa Top 179k miles and the other a red turbo auto hardtop 159k miles.
The white supra has a rod knock, the red has been sitting so long it will not start, ( I have only cranked on it for about 30 seconds or so). Both cars appear to be in very good shape, hardly any rust on either, and the interior on both is actually very clean, not many rips or tears. It also came with a plethora of parts, tires rims, interior trim, 6 seats in nice condition, basically a whole interior for a car.

I realize this will be a long process, given my history of giving up on the four past supras, and always regretting it I plan to try and stick these two out, my goal currently is to get the red one running, and potentially jz swap the white one, for just in the little of amount of time (2 years) I have been out of the supra game, I have been astonished at the increase in prices for these cars.

Anyway I look forward to updating you and starting a build thread. 0129201215b.jpg 0129201050.jpg 0129201215a_HDR.jpg 0129201215a.jpg 0129201215_HDR.jpg 0129201215.jpg 0129201214b.jpg 0129201214a.jpg 0129201214.jpg 0129201052_HDR.jpg 0129201051.jpg 0129201050a_HDR.jpg

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Congrats on getting back into the supra game. I can't imagine trying to fund two of these cars. You need to spend all your money on the jz build for sure. The white targa top will make a nice ride expecially with the 1jz in it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Reactions: h20dies

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Welcome back!! Looking forward to seeing the progress on these. It's always a good feeling to bring a Supra back to life.

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Update here: One thing i forgot to mention is the car came with a TON of extra parts, such as all manuals i need, struts with TEMS, Front and rear seats in nice blue cloth 9/10 condition, Side panels for the doors, brake calipers, whole A arms, a rear diff, a rack and pinion, two heater cores, a whole gauge cluster and more.... Check it out.
gauge cluster maroon.jpg supra parts garage.jpg supra josh sitting on tank.jpg
. overall parts.jpg 2nd overall parts.jpg supra manuals.jpg

Progress on these, have attempted to get the maroon supra to start with no avail.. yet... It cranks great but my guess it's been sitting almost 15 years, the registration on the plates it has on expired in 2004. Ran a compression test on cyl 1 with over 130psi, going to check the other 5 cylinders tomorrow. Engine light comes on when key is turned on which is good, spark on cyl 1. The gas is bad, so I pulled the fuel tank and am going to swap over the fuel tank from the white one as it sits since I know that car runs. I took off the air filter housing to find a K&N air filter caked with dirt! Cleaned it out. Going to put brand new plugs and wires (brand new ngk wires came in the car) on and see what happens. Broke a lot of hoses, they are all very rotted. Definitely needs alot of TLC.
broken hose 7m.jpg valve cover shot maroon supra.jpg supra pulling fuel tank out.jpg

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Looks like the parts came with a small child as well!
That's going to be more work than the car /s. :)

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Update here, replaced spark plugs/wires, swapped fuel pumps and fuel tanks over. Bust a fuel line on one of the pump hangers doing so, ,lol. Got the red one to fire up. The red one compression above 130 on all cylinders besides cyl #4 which is about 100. I drained the oil and out came a milk shake...... Clumpy creamy caramel looking milkshake.. So I am assuming BHG. The car runs fine, and doesn't seem to overheat in about the 10 minutes I ran it, and actually runs surprisingly well.

So at this point, I have 2 complete 7mgte motors, 1 which has a rod knock and 1 that has a BHG I assume.

I plan on putting a 2jz in the white Supra.
I also had the thought of attempting to rebuild a 7mgte, i've never rebuilt a motor before so I feel like It would be a good oppurtunity to learn, only thing is cost, is it really worth it? If i did I would want to keep the HP numbers right around stock. Could I get away with just rings, bearings, seals, gaskets and some machine work? How much would that look like in $$$?

What would you guys do?

Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Update here, replaced spark plugs/wires, swapped fuel pumps and fuel tanks over. Bust a fuel line on one of the pump hangers doing so, ,lol. Got the red one to fire up. The red one compression above 130 on all cylinders besides cyl #4 which is about 100. I drained the oil and out came a milk shake...... Clumpy creamy caramel looking milkshake.. So I am assuming BHG. The car runs fine, and doesn't seem to overheat in about the 10 minutes I ran it, and actually runs surprisingly well.

So at this point, I have 2 complete 7mgte motors, 1 which has a rod knock and 1 that has a BHG I assume.

I plan on putting a 2jz in the white Supra.
I also had the thought of attempting to rebuild a 7mgte, i've never rebuilt a motor before so I feel like It would be a good oppurtunity to learn, only thing is cost, is it really worth it? If i did I would want to keep the HP numbers right around stock. Could I get away with just rings, bearings, seals, gaskets and some machine work? How much would that look like in $$$?

What would you guys do?
If you're not going to use it, I wouldn't rebuild it. If you are, prepare to spend more than you expect.

Machine work about $1500.

the parts:

HKS 2.0 mm Bead Type MHG ($244)
ARP head studs ($116)
ARP rod bolts ($50)
ARP main bolts ($136)
K&N filter & recharge kit (kit@$10)
Assembly lube, sealer & slick ($50)
cams, new, after head straightening ($352)
valve stem seals ($40)
valve tool – Mac Tools ($59) (exception to rule about tools in this list)
Adjustable Cam Gears (AEM 23-613C) ($328)
clear timing gear cover ($139)
Valve cover screw kit
exhaust studs enlarged
O2 sensor ($45)
pistons, cast (FOR SALE) – one over ($197)
pistons, forged, with rings (JE) ($891)
timing belt ($160)
tensioner ($34)
oil pump, Toyota dealer ($180
oil squirters, and bolts (sq@$80)
braided hose kit, oil pump ($60)
bearings, rods/mains & seals ($365)
2nd set bears & seals
piston pin bushings (do not remember why) ($10)
thrust washers ($17)
piston rings (2 sets) (1@$84)
freeze plugs, all (see Misc, below)
cam bearing (to be pressed in block after dip) ($49)
water pump *1
thermostat *1
radiator cap *1
air filter (OEM type) *1
fuel filter
oil filter *1
plugs *1
plug wires *1
full gasket set *1
Unorthodox Racing (Suprastore.com) crank pulley, aluminum ($191)
belts, all for original *1
belts, all for aluminum crank pulley
motor mounts – 2 ($172)
flywheel, original, exchanged for rebuilt (FOR SALE) ($57)

*1 – Original Parts Order – Rising Sun AP ($999) See receipt, above not inclusive list

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I also had the thought of attempting to rebuild a 7mgte, i've never rebuilt a motor before so I feel like It would be a good opportunity to learn, only thing is cost, is it really worth it? If i did I would want to keep the HP numbers right around stock. Could I get away with just rings, bearings, seals, gaskets and some machine work? How much would that look like in $$$?

What would you guys do?
I would go for it and try to rebuild it especially if you plan on staying around stock power levels. I learned on a 7mGTE and with all the information out here today, loan a tool services at your local auto parts stores and some of your spare time, it can turn out great in the end. If you do the work yourself I would imagine about $200 for a quality Ishino Stone full gasket set, $100ish for all the coolant hoses, $140 for ARP head studs, $80 for fluids/oil's, $40 in shop/cleaning supplies to name some things. You will probably find something else you want to change such as belts or even do a tune-up during this job.

Just a estimate I would guess $400 to $1000 at the machine shop (in labor only) depending on what is needed/done. In 2017 I brought to my local machine shop a fully dissembled 7m block and cylinder head in which I spent $420 that included:

- machining the cylinder head
- decking the block
- cleaning the oil passages on block
- cleaning the oil passages on crankshaft
- cleaning the block
- cleaning the cylinder head
- new freeze plugs installed
- new oil pump driveshaft bearings installed in block
- polish crankshaft
- light hone on cylinder walls
- paint block

Do not forget to attach and machine the lower rear timing cover when decking the block and "DO NOT CUT ANY CORNERS" on any 7m motor. Double check everything and use quality replacement parts.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Mine definitely extreme compared to @plaaya69 's list and I'm not saying you're need everything I did. But there will always be the unexpected, and the costs rack up. I prefaced my response with "if you're not going to use it"... which is what I heard you saying..." putting a 2jz in the white Supra". Sure, it will be good experience. Maybe rebuild the 2jz :)

Reactions: plaaya69

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
Whoa, your burgundy car has one of the rarest parts I have yet to see IRL!

That little plastic piece that goes on top of the battery. (It is off in the pic and moved over to the left.)

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Think I'm going to do minimum to the burgundy car to try and keep it running as long as possible without imminent danger and shift gears to the 2jz swap into the white supra.

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Whoa, your burgundy car has one of the rarest parts I have yet to see IRL!

That little plastic piece that goes on top of the battery. (It is off in the pic and moved over to the left.)
That plastic piece is one of my top 5 parts I look for when I find a Supra in the junkyard. It sure does help that rubber hood seal better against water when installed and does make a difference to help keep your battery terminals more protected and dry. You can only imagine all the battery changes over the years and that piece being lost and misplaced so many times. I don't have much luck in junkyards with finding that piece over the years but I have found 2 spares over the last 10+ years...

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Off topic, but wanna sell me one? I have been looking myself for 10 years :(
Normally I would but I am going to be looking for another MK3 Supra in the near future and I want to keep the other one as a spare. I would try Car-Part.com and call different junkyards listed that have Supra parts. I would also post a WTB thread and someone might be parting out their Supra here.

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Update:

The burgundy supra runs great, no overheating, changed maf, and took it for a nice cruise today, Ran amazing. Timing is a little off but not bad.

Reactions: loc182

Abe's 1987

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Authorized Seller
Glad to see you back in the supra brotherhood. Wish I could come across such a good deal like that. I could obtain two mk3 supras here in houston but it will cost $23000 for the only current two mk3 supras for sale locally.

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
7m can be very reliable if you rebuild it properly. A safe estimate is 5k depending on how you spend and what parts you plan to install etc.
You can probably do it for less but that is all up to you and what you decide to upgrade/replace.

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Update - Changed the oil today in the burgundy and no milkshake! Looked really clean, i'm guessing who knows what happened in the 15 years or so it sat? Condensation build up inside the engine? Also maybe that's why the compression was down to 100psi on cyl 4? Gas varnished, creating gunk/ ring was not sealed due to no oil being in the cyl? (atleast that's what I hope for.) Will do a compression check soon. It does run well. Drive well? Not really. Just pulled it into my garage and got it on jack stands, changed the oil, now will put nicer tires on, change shocks (I have all 4 that came with the cars spare that look in good condition) I busted my fan blade because the shroud was broken.. Going to steal alot of parts off the white 7m since that's getting a jz motor one day. Will do more diagnosing and keep you updated.

Here is how the cars look now, I just moved into a new place last week. -

supra in garage.jpg supra in garage with white behind.jpg supra in garage with white behind2.jpg

Reactions: debrucer

Abe's 1987

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Authorized Seller
Wow I love the fire station type garage doors. Is this a house or condo? Yeah looks beautiful with two supras parked there next to the USA flag!

h20dies

Authorized Seller
This is a condo, it's actually Coast Guard housing, which I'm happy to be in because it's not cheap here in California.

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
This is a condo, it's actually Coast Guard housing, which I'm happy to be in because it's not cheap here in California.
That's a bit of an understatement... :)

Looks about the same size as my garage, which also has a bunch of shelving and random crap filling in the already too-tight space. Virtually every car project has to be done on the driveway and subject to the whims of Colorado weather.

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Update -

So over the last week I have been doing some maintenance, I changed the timing belt, waterpump, cam seals, most all radiator hoses and alot of vacuum/intake hoses, thermostat and painted and fixed some odds and ends. Also picked some rims and tires up for 100$, decent deal. Got everything together and it runs great, am getting a little overheat but I'm guessing I didn't burp the system well enough or maybe the new thermostat is busted. (no heat) Will look into it soon. Anyway here is some pics - Still have yet to wash it lol.

supra red engine torn apart.jpg supra red engine bay timing belt.jpg supra red engine bay nice.jpg supra red wheels on.jpg

h20dies

Authorized Seller
So the ol BHG hit me today on the maroon one.. Which i had tall tell signs of from the beginning so not very surprised..

What to do? Headgasket job as cheap as possible?

(Budget is nill due to family and in California lol)

Or...??

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Guys, I have over 150psi in all 6 cylinders. I have white sweet smelling smoke coming out of the exhaust,seems to be going through coolant like crazy, also overheats intermittently and runs rough randomly(also had milkshake on the very first oil change after it had been sitting for 15 yrs) my second oil change which ran for about an hour had no milkshake.. Is it possible to have a BHG with good compression?

Obviously I believe it's a BHG i just want confirmation before I replace it. Does anyone have an answer?

Last edited:

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Just drained the oil again, total milkshake, headgasket operation a go.

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Update -

So I got the head off, both times I took the turbo and the lower intake manifold off coolant fell out on the ground below. Lol. Anyway I don't see any signs of Blown Head Gasket, do you? I'm thinking throw it back on and re torque.
BHG 1.jpg BHG 2.jpg BHG 3.jpg BHG 4.jpg BHG 5.jpg BHG 6.jpg BHG 7.jpg BHG 8.jpg BHG 9.jpg BHG 10.jpg

h20dies

Authorized Seller
So i got quoted 140$ for the head to be resurfaced, the guy i talked to specified that's with everything taken out and a bare head.. My question is.. How hard is it to dissasemble and reassemble the head? Is it worth it to just pay more or what? I'm pretty clueless on this topic. Could someone please shed some light on the subject?

A70nut

Authorized Seller
It would be worth it to take a bit of time to disassemble it yourself. If they take it apart more than likely you will get all your wear pattern parts back thrown in a box with no way of knowing where they came from or where they go. I would disassemble so I know where they go on reassembly.

Reactions: Piratetip

andrew_mx83

Authorized Seller
For surfacing only the cams and buckets need to come out. Valves etc can stay in. Reinstalling valves is hard without the right tools.
You must keep the buckets/shims in the order they were removed unless you want to redo the clearances.

Make sure they hardness test the head before they bother surfacing it.

h20dies

Authorized Seller
For surfacing only the cams and buckets need to come out. Valves etc can stay in. Reinstalling valves is hard without the right tools.
You must keep the buckets/shims in the order they were removed unless you want to redo the clearances.

Make sure they hardness test the head before they bother surfacing it.
Just dropped the head off, took the cam caps off, took the cams out, left the buckets/shims in the head, and the machine tech guy pointed it out because I didn't even notice, a real nice older gentleman who does it out of his house; he explained the same thing you did to me and is going to make sure to keep the buckets/shims matched to the valve.

I got quoted for 190$ to do a pressure hardness test and a resurface.