TSRM is down!

Abe's 1987

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Authorized Seller
I've always thought about buying a hardcopy for myself. There are a few still circulating around.

Reactions: Clip

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Also here is a good link to bookmark. They have tons of free service manuals for other makes as well and comes in handy to have:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Don't know.
But I would contribute to that as well.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
IIRC the individual that purchased his car, took over the website. Theres a thread on here about it.

Reactions: figgie

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Hehe, its funny you mentioned that.

I also made a complete offline copy of that site as well. (In 2018)
Used software Pagenest / Webstripper.
Figured one day it would go offline, so wanted to be ready.

Its only around ~500MB & navigates just like (mostly) the webpage.
Comes in very handy.

Reactions: debrucer

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
I miss the EPC more than the TSRM.

If anyone knows who ran cygnusx1.net I will offer to put it on my shared hosting as I have room for it.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Don't know who offhand.
It's still accessable via thewaybackmachine.

It was archived there in March of this year.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok i just sent an email to the webmaster of tsrm on how we can contribute. Will let you guys know what they reply as soon as they do.

Reactions: plaaya69

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Wondering if it is just maintenance, the reason the site is down every now and then? Is Mike still active around here every now and then?

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so got a message back from Mr. Michael on the tsrm site.

He wanted to know the exact error message when it was down which I totally forgot?
He also wanted to know if there is a better hosting site then GoDaddy?

I'm trying my best to convince him to letting us contribute funds to help keep the site up. Ill pretty much be the middle man in this situation.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
I recall the error started as "Unavailable" then changed to no access at all (timeout).

There are many hosts better than GoDaddy. The Web Hosting Talk forums are a good place to look for reviews. The hosts to avoid are any run by EIG.

For my personal site and email, I have used Geek Storage for several years now and am quite satisfied with them. They post coupons to WHT along with many others; it's definitely worth a look to save some money.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
If it can be hosted as a static page it can be hosted easily on AWS very reasonably. That conversion from ASP to static has proven not easily accomplished. The biggest advantage to hosting on an AWS S3 bucket is the availability of world-wide edge locations.

AWS does offer hosting of dynamic sites, but I've always relied on a local provider for those. I've used LunarPages for 15 years, and they were recently purchased by HostPapa. My basic package at LunarPages became a more deluxe package with the new owner. The site went from http (no certificates) to https with SSL certificates included and installed, no charge. Obviously, I am pleased with HostPapa.

I have multiple domains parked there, and all email routed through there, even though I have sites on the actual domain. The WordPress sites on my HostPapa server are generally just accessed by me. The static sites are hosted on AWS for about $1.00 a month each. When I had a version of the Cygnix site uploaded it looked like it was going to cost about $3.00 a month. I took it down simply because the downed site was up again.

Hosting takes effort by someone. Perhaps it could be hosted here? That would leave it in the same capable hands over the long run.

Update/Note: Of course the conversion to static would be doable with the source code if it were provided by Michael Bringle.

Last edited:

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
I just sucked down a local copy for my use using HTTrack. Looking at it a bit, the dynamic aspect is just the navigation using the left-side and top right menus. Making up a static version would not be hard, though would take a little time.

Getting away from ASP.NET will save money in the long run as Linux service is way cheaper than Microsoft Windows service.

Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just sucked down a local copy for my use using HTTrack. Looking at it a bit, the dynamic aspect is just the navigation using the left-side and top right menus. Making up a static version would not be hard, though would take a little time.

Getting away from ASP.NET will save money in the long run as Linux service is way cheaper than Microsoft Windows service.
Yes. I've got one with just those two issues. Nothing I could find could convert the aspx files to html, but everything else worked. There were 12,000 domain names to change... (from cygnix to whatever, for me, toyotasupraturbo. That took about an hour. If we have the source, I don't see any major problem.

You will notice that if you do not edit those domain names that any click on any link will take you back to the internet copy at cygn.... operates as intended without editing those :)

Reactions: Asterix